Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm bendar and I just got here because of this issue (and another withe the radio that I will address after I get this one figured out. I have a 2019 Bolt with @6,000 miles on it. I called my chevrolet.com, they said I must call dealer. Called dealer, got shuffled to someone's VM and he has not yet called back. So I'm here hoping someone else has experienced this and can help. If so, I appreciate it.
This feature was available until yesterday. It is the charging setting which allows you to select delayed charging at off peak hours, so you can just plug in when you get home and it won't start til the time you have set, and will stop at the time you choose. Extremely useful here in Sacramento where we actually get a credit from midnight to 6 am. I hope that, as usual it's some dumb thing I've done or not done, but any help would be appreciated.
I'll get to my HOW DO YOU MAKE THE RADIO BE DEFAULT OFF? later. Well, that's pretty much it.
Other than these things it is a great car and I love it. We sold a Lexus IS350 AWD (a very rare car) to buy the Bolt.

· Registered
856 Posts
Bender, beside the radio issue I'm unsure as to what you're asking about. Your 2019 Bolt can no longer be set (via menu) to charge when you wish it to charge?

Rich

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mistake. It is a 1.5 cent per kWh discount not a credit. Sacramento Municipal Utility District.
The inability to select utility rate charging was all me, too. I had not first selected "location based charging" which then allowed me to choose utility rate, and the hours in which to charge.
Sure wish I was wrong about the default off radio. How 'bout a software update, GM?

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,782 Posts
Many TVs (and some other home appliances) do not actually "turn off" when you hit the button. They stop the video and the sound and go into a "sleep" mode. They are still consuming energy (very little) and are able to "turn on" more quickly. Think of the Bolt EV radio the same. You can "mute" it. (There is no video, duh.) You can push the button again OR toggle the volume and you are right back in business. While mute, it uses very little energy, and it "turns on" in an instant. Keep the volume "sane" and it won't make you jump out of your seat upon vehicle restart. Simply mute it again if you do not want to listen.

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,640 Posts
Many TVs (and some other home appliances) do not actually "turn off" when you hit the button. They stop the video and the sound and go into a "sleep" mode. They are still consuming energy (very little) and are able to "turn on" more quickly. Think of the Bolt EV radio the same. You can "mute" it. (There is no video, duh.) You can push the button again OR toggle the volume and you are right back in business. While mute, it uses very little energy, and it "turns on" in an instant. Keep the volume "sane" and it won't make you jump out of your seat upon vehicle restart. Simply mute it again if you do not want to listen.

You say "very little" energy is consumed when off, but my entertainment center draws over 100W with everything "off".

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By "mute" do you mean rotate the volume knob down? I'm not aware of a volume toggle. For me, the problem is I prefer to listen to my phone or iPod, and they play at a MUCH lower volume level than the radio. And even if I remember to leave the phone or
iPod plugged in til I turn the "ignition" off, if I don't open the car door soon enough I get the blaring radio when I unplug device.
Looks like the only solution is to turn volume WAY down as soon as you park. The only really crappy design I have noticed about this car. I assume intended to sell Onstar and Sirius subscriptions. Maybe an aftermarket fix will emerge.

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,782 Posts
By "mute" do you mean rotate the volume knob down? I'm not aware of a volume toggle. For me, the problem is I prefer to listen to my phone or iPod, and they play at a MUCH lower volume level than the radio. And even if I remember to leave the phone or
iPod plugged in til I turn the "ignition" off, if I don't open the car door soon enough I get the blaring radio when I unplug device.
Looks like the only solution is to turn volume WAY down as soon as you park. The only really crappy design I have noticed about this car. I assume intended to sell Onstar and Sirius subscriptions. Maybe an aftermarket fix will emerge.
You mute by pushing the middle of the volume knob, not by twisting it to ")" volume. The volume toggle is on the back of the right side of the steering wheel, opposite side from the the regen paddle. Yes, if you do not want it "on" when you restart the EV, twist the knob to "zero" volume before turning the vehicle off.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Each device connected to the infotainment center has its own volume setting, if you connect your phone and your listening to directions when the phone is giving navigation guidance you can adjust the volume level, if you have music files on a thumb drive when you adjust the volume level for those it will also persist.

The key point is that whatever you want to adjust the volume for must be currently active.

In addition, in the configuration screen you can set "maximum start up volume" this setting allows you to never be blasted out of the car just because you had left it loud the last time you turned the vehicle off

· Registered
622 Posts
You mute by pushing the middle of the volume knob, not by twisting it to ")" volume. The volume toggle is on the back of the right side of the steering wheel, opposite side from the the regen paddle. Yes, if you do not want it "on" when you restart the EV, twist the knob to "zero" volume before turning the vehicle off.
Noticed the same thing. Radio never turns off even though you push the vol knob and "turn it off" after driving. When you start up the next day, it comes on again automatically. Does that mean it's draining the battery all night?

· Registered
6,838 Posts
Noticed the same thing. Radio never turns off even though you push the vol knob and "turn it off" after driving. When you start up the next day, it comes on again automatically. Does that mean it's draining the battery all night?
Nothing really turns off anymore. Well, maybe your lights in your house do. The "off" button really is a mute button. You have to click and hold if you want the infotainment screen to power off. If you turn the car "off" then the infotainment system is in some kind of lower mode waiting to awakened.

You're draining the battery very little (and it's the 12V not the main traction battery). If you leave the car for several weeks, you should hook up a 12V battery charger or disconnected the ground cable.

· Registered
136 Posts
You do know there is a radio setting for "maximum start up volume" right? Have you set it to the lowest (13)?

And the utility rate option only pops on when you have the location setting on and you are at your home location.

· Registered
201 Posts
Hi. I'm bendar and I just got here because of this issue (and another withe the radio that I will address after I get this one figured out. I have a 2019 Bolt with @6,000 miles on it. I called my chevrolet.com, they said I must call dealer. Called dealer, got shuffled to someone's VM and he has not yet called back. So I'm here hoping someone else has experienced this and can help. If so, I appreciate it.
This feature was available until yesterday. It is the charging setting which allows you to select delayed charging at off peak hours, so you can just plug in when you get home and it won't start til the time you have set, and will stop at the time you choose. Extremely useful here in Sacramento where we actually get a credit from midnight to 6 am. I hope that, as usual it's some dumb thing I've done or not done, but any help would be appreciated.
I'll get to my HOW DO YOU MAKE THE RADIO BE DEFAULT OFF? later. Well, that's pretty much it.
Other than these things it is a great car and I love it. We sold a Lexus IS350 AWD (a very rare car) to buy the Bolt.
I think you have to set your "home" location for this to work and use the location based charging (if I remember correctly). I see every one is trying to address your radio issue.... Hope this helps.

· Registered
622 Posts
Thanks.
Nothing really turns off anymore. Well, maybe your lights in your house do. The "off" button really is a mute button. You have to click and hold if you want the infotainment screen to power off. If you turn the car "off" then the infotainment system is in some kind of lower mode waiting to awakened.

You're draining the battery very little (and it's the 12V not the main traction battery). If you leave the car for several weeks, you should hook up a 12V battery charger or disconnected the ground cable.
Thanks. I only drive about 4K miles a year. That means the car may sit a day or two in my garage. Sounds like I should be holding that radio button down and turn everything off. I've had two Priuses the last 11 years, and had to change the 12V battery on each of them.

· Registered
6,838 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks. I only drive about 4K miles a year. That means the car may sit a day or two in my garage. Sounds like I should be holding that radio button down and turn everything off. I've had two Priuses the last 11 years, and had to change the 12V battery on each of them.
Sitting a day or two isn't going to matter much. There's one forum member that trickle charges the 12V battery once a month. 12V batteries usually last about 5 to 7 years. I doubt powering the infotainment screen off before turning the car off is different than just turning the car off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.