Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just got me a 2020 Bolt Premier. I've had it about two weeks now, which means it's about ready for it's first wash.

Up until now, I typically went to car washes where you leave the car with an attendant who vacuums first and then pulls it around and puts it through the machine while you wait inside. With my previous vehicle, I'd never given that a second thought (and it was even a manual transmission).

But reading the Bolt user manual's somewhat convoluted procedure for getting the car in Neutral for a trip through the car wash (attended or otherwise) really makes me think twice about continuing this practice.

Suffice it to say it does bad things to my insides to think that some attendant might put my car through the wash while it's in Park.

Am I now resigned to car washes where I drive it through myself? Would appreciate any other owners perspectives on the matter.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Am I now resigned to car washes where I drive it through myself? Would appreciate any other owners perspectives on the matter.
I had my last car for 23 years, and it got washed once, by my wife, for my birthday. The Bolt is so damned cool, I wash it in the driveway once month.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Be careful washing your own car. It is extremely easy to damage the finish.

Like the OP, I take my Bolt to car washes that allow me to drive in and set it in park while the washer does its thing.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Be careful washing your own car. It is extremely easy to damage the finish.
Haven't rubbed any paint off yet. :) My main concern is my wife not getting her cloths dirty when she touches the car. Other than that, I could care less.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Ditto. :geek: I always use a car wash that lets me ride through it. We have one for $5 that does a great job and has a covered area to do detailing and free vacuum.
Getting to ride through it would be the main draw for me...shorter lines than Disney!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I leave the little card with the instructions hanging on the shifter in case they get confused, but the wash I go to gets enough of these cars that they seem to be familiar with how to do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm like VTBOLT. I drive and stay in the vehicle while the washer goes back and forth or around spraying the Bolt. Blow dryers cut on while exiting the wash and I park elsewhere and towel dry any excess water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts