Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What precautions are recommended to protect the undersides of my 2017 Bolt from corrosion by "salts" spread on our New Hampshire roads in the winter?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Car wash with under spray. Undercoating? Does that even exist anymore? The last time I had a car dealer try to get me to buy undercoating was in 1972.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Rusty Jones died in 1989.... lol

Don't do anything to the underside of your Bolt. I've gone through two nasty NY winters where they salt the roads heavily before and after storms... and there's still not even a hint of rust under my 2017 Bolt.

Save your $$ for a nice set of dedicated winter tires on 15" rims.... you'll thank me for that later ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Save your $$ for a nice set of dedicated winter tires on 15" rims.... you'll thank me for that later ;)
Good, aggressive snow tires on dedicated rims were my first purchase. I rotate the tires from their previous location with each seasonal swap. I jack the car high enough from the forward jacking location to do both wheels on each side at one time. I found last year that the Bolt does fine in the snow with front wheel drive, good winter tires, and attentive driving.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
^ yes, it's a competent winter driver w/dedicated winter tires and an attentive handler.

I don't know why... but my 2012 Plug-in Prius (with X-Ice tires) was one of the best snow vehicles I've had. We used to prefer that vs. our Expedition or CRV in low snow, slush conditions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get a /low/ pressure wash wand. NOT one you hook up to a pressure washer.

Something like this:

When I lived in an Atlantic coastal town with salt water on the roads and a road service that put too much salt on the roads, this is what everyone would use. Spray the salt off what you can easily reach. Don't over stress over it. Find a zen state and accept that all things eventually get old, crusty, and fall apart. Even you.

Undercoating is a rip off, and it never gets into the nooks and crannies where rust quietly eats away at your car anyway.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
One guy that I work with takes low-viscosity silicone oils (100 cP viscosity standards) and sprays the underside of all of his cars with it. :LOL:

Just get a little bit on and it will spread everywhere.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
^ yeah, including into our drinking water supply not to mention the water birds drink from, etc..

He should be arrested and or fined for something that dumb. What does he do with his used engine oil... pour it down the storm drain to keep the drain grate from rusting?

·
Registered
236 Posts
^ yeah, including into our drinking water supply not to mention the water birds drink from, etc..

He should be arrested and or fined for something that dumb. What does he do with his used engine oil... pour it down the storm drain to keep the drain grate from rusting?
Yeah this dude is pretty old-school and kinda crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
NY-Rob
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing