Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a little digging and haven't unearthed any solid information--

What do you gain (besides the hotspot functionality) if you toss your Bolt on an AT&T plan?

Do you lose any/all of the Onstar features compared to the Onstar subscription?

Are there any features on the car (besides the hotspot) that utilize the 4G LTE connection?

Thanks for any and all information.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
I don't know about changing the car over to another cellular provider but from my understanding if you let the 4G LTE trial subscription lapse (which is what I am doing) the system just loses the hotspot functionality and drops down to 3G for the OnStar communications. That might be a question best asked of chevy customer service. Really the service department should be able to answer a technical question like that, but somehow I think they would just look at you funny and ask if you'd like to book an appointment for an oil change.... Who knows, maybe they'd surprise me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just canceled my OnStar service as I see it to be too expensive for what I get. I have ATT for my cell service and I added the car to my account. It cost me an additional $12 with tax to add the car to my plan. I also picked up an additional 1gb of data. I use iPhone Maps as my preferred navigation program because it gives me instant? traffic conditions and suggests changes. OnStar is an ok service just not my cup of tea.
Manny

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Nope. I just recall running across it while looking for something else. Sorry.

There's always the searchable pdf manual...

·
Registered
304 Posts
For that you have to plug SIM card somewhere, how to do that?
The SIM is soldered to the PCB and I think it's carrier locked to AT+T or some other proprietary crap. Even then, however, it's not going to do anything without OnStar's greasy little fingers in the mix somewhere. It's a horrible system. Just forget you even have it in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts