Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I heard a few times over the years that Chevy didn't want to sell that many Bolts, but it was hard to provide a source. Then recently a member of an EV Association told me about a presentation they saw. With their permission, I am passing along their comments:

-------------
"This was at the Chevy outdoor display at the FULLY CHARGED event in Austin, Texas on February 1, 2020. The BOLT was displayed under a canopy and attendees were invited to sit in the driver's seat and a rep would explain the car and answer their questions. There also was a cut away display of the motor and reduction gear assembly.

"They showed a battery assembly mounted vertically on rollers. This was not one of the taped seminars, just a five minute presentation followed by Q&A. The presentation was on the battery. It was kind of tech lite, no real info on what was key to putting 10% more kWh into the same size package, but it's great! There was a group of about 30 gathered for the show.

"What struck me was the one question a guy asked and the answer to it. He asked if the BOLT was going to be more available nation wide. The answer was that Chevy was happy with the sales volume right where it was. I was amazed to hear it. There was no side stepping or hesitation.

"I've attached a couple of pix.
-------------

Attachments

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It's my understanding that the Bolt is sold in all 50 US states. Perhaps the "available nationwide" question was in the context of other countries?

Sales volume is driven by a combination of marketing and discounting. We've seen very little marketing and high discounting, which leads me to believe GM is selling the number of units it wants to. With the assumption they are not making money on the sales, it seems they would be pretty uninterested in selling more.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Something to consider is that the Bolt EV is only highly profitable in CARB states (about $19,500 in credits) and at its current volume, which also happens to be near maxing out GM's current domestic battery supply. So when they say they are "happy with the sales volume," they likely mean that they aren't going to go chasing additional sales for such low margins.

GM is already expanding their battery production and developing higher-margin EVs that will be available for purchase soon, so maintaining current Bolt EV volume makes the most sense. As it stands, the Chevy Bolt EV is already the best selling EV in the United States that doesn't have a "T" badge, and it's available for purchase in all 50 states. So it's really hard to say that GM's production volume should be higher at this point.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Such a great little car. I love my Bolt and think it would do so much better if one, Chevy would advertise it a heck of a lot better and two, do something (anything) about the charging infrastructure. But your experience seems to indicate they couldn’t care less. Frustrating cause as an owner, that also seems to indicate an overall lack of desire for them to improve everything moving forward including OTAs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe the current incentive is $8500. Did I remember that correctly? It was a bit more in January when I purchased in addition to dealer discounts. To say I am pleased is an understatement. They seem to be selling every one they build and the high volume dealers in Calif. are leading the way in sales.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The FEDERAL Incentive is gone. There are probably still state and local incentives. If a manufacturer sells both ICE and EV models, there is no real incentive monetarily to sell the EV.
Just pull in to a dealership parking lot. You see a driveway full of Cars, Trucks and SUVs waiting for warranty service, oil changes and service. When is the last time you NEEDED to
take an EV in? There is a Chevrolet Dealership a few miles from my house ( others around the city are similar ). There are several cars, SUVs and Trucks in the driveway with $5,000
off, $10,000 off, $15,000 off. etc. If you ask one of the sales people how much for a Volt ( when they were being sold ) or a Bolt, the answer was LIST PLUS. It wasn't until the last
six months or so that you could really find any deals. Still can't find them here in Vegas. Maybe you can now since they haven't really been open for the last couple months.
As far as how they got 10% greater capacity out of the same size, Lithium technology has been getting better each year. Energica Motorcycles started an electric series that ran
alongside the MotoGP. After ONE year, they were able to double the battery capacity while LOWERING the weight of the bike. There is no conspiracy, just money. The corporations
make more money off of ICE vehicles. As long as they are able to sell them, the EVs will take a back seat.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Interesting statistic just in.

"You can also see that the Chevy Bolt leads its category, with 22.2% of the Subcompact Car segment."

Beating out the Versa, Soul, Fit and Spark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts