Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the second week I was driving my brand new 2017 Bolt, the display screens (both behind the wheel and the infotainment system) went very bright and became un-dimmable. The problem would sometimes correct itself upon restart, but then re-emerge. Right now, having driven only 300 miles, the screen is bright all the time. The dangerous part of this problem is that when I connect my I-phone with the USB port, the phone gets really really hot. So I can no longer plug in the phone! I am going to take the care to service this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. Thanks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Software updates. Take it to the dealer and tell them what's going on.
Also check the production date on the drivers door opening below the A-pillar.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
On the second week I was driving my brand new 2017 Bolt, the display screens (both behind the wheel and the infotainment system) went very bright and became un-dimmable. ... The dangerous part of this problem is that when I connect my I-phone with the USB port, the phone gets really really hot.
This is a bit of wild speculation on my part, but I can imagine a problem whereby a common power supply for the LCD backlight and the USB ports has gone overvoltage, which might tax the voltage regulator in your phone...

...although it's a little hard to figure how this could happen and not cause a whole host of other problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was wondering if it was somehow tied to the auto-headlights? The dimmer knob on dash left of the wheel does not work in daylight. But you can dim the dash once the lights are on. I keep it set pretty low. You might fiddle with the headlights and dash knob to see if you can get a better baseline brightness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if it was somehow tied to the auto-headlights? The dimmer knob on dash left of the wheel does not work in daylight. But you can dim the dash once the lights are on. I keep it set pretty low. You might fiddle with the headlights and dash knob to see if you can get a better baseline brightness.

The dash knob is unresponsive - day or night. Thanks for all the comments. Will report back once I have a diagnosis.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Chevy service department at Capitol Chevrolet in Austin sucks. Last Saturday I waited for 2 hr only to be told that there is no problem with the dimmer switch, despite the fact that I had told them that it cannot be the dimmer switch because the problem recurs every day and is not constant. They have ordered an S-switch, whatever that is. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Another BCM? Glad you spelled it out. I had thought BCM only meant Battery Control Module, but now it can mean Body Control Module.

·
Registered
1 Posts
daytime mode vs nighttime

I am a prospective Bolt buyer. I test drove a 2019 Bolt and it appeared that the dash panel is not dimmable when in daytime mode, and the salesperson agreed. Is there a way to defeat that without interfering with a safety feature? For example is it possible to cover the light meter without interfering with forward collision warning? I did my test drive on a rainy day and found the panel's brightness distracting and annoying and it is the main reason for my reluctance to buy a Bolt.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I am a prospective Bolt buyer. I test drove a 2019 Bolt and it appeared that the dash panel is not dimmable when in daytime mode, and the salesperson agreed. Is there a way to defeat that without interfering with a safety feature?
You can configure the instrument cluster display to show white text on a black background instead of the default black text on a white background. I find that to be a lot easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
You can configure the instrument cluster display to show white text on a black background instead of the default black text on a white background. I find that to be a lot easier on the eyes.
I do that with every device I can, even choosing dark/black backgrounds for things like my desktop wallpaper and phone background.

My wife likes to turn the instrument lights up to full brightness at night, and I can't figure out why. I turn them down to minimum because preserving night vision and seeing the road is more important than viewing the speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes! I changed to night mode all the time too. Much nicer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts