Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports is "not a big fan" of the Rear Camera Mirror, which is available now in a few Cadillacs and will be in the Bolt EV. The main critique seems to be the wide perspective on such a small screen makes everything small and hard to discern.

Here's the video cued up for section on the mirror: Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #97: Cadillac CT6, XT5, and Chevrolet Volt

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can always flip the switch and it becomes a "normal" mirror.

Later on in the video, they prefer the Prius over the Volt because "you don't have to plug it in". I guess spending time at the gas station is so ingrained they don't even notice?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I personally like rear camera mirrors. But you're right, just flip the switch and use it regularly. It's not a necessity, it's just an aid. Not a big deal. Speaking of Prius, though.. just heard there was a huge recall because of the emissions canister and airbags... good sign

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it looks pretty clear and you can't really miss a car behind you even if the wide perspective makes things a bit smaller. A non-problem and it still works as a normal mirror if needed. Also, I assume the rear view camera won't adjust itself depending on how you tilt the mirror so I won't need to keep adjusting it every time someone else uses my car.

Recalls aside, the Toyota Prius is just plain hideous. Also, a testament to how their quality has gone downhill with all the recalls.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's funny to see when they don't like something but have no reasoning, they come up with the most absurd excuse as to why they're not fond of it

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's just an opinion from people who prefer the old ways of doing things. Sure the consumer reports series is great and they do point out problems with cars but little things like these are insignificant when you look at the overall vehicle. Maybe they need a younger presenter so they have an opinion from a younger generation's point of view.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a feeling that what this came down to for CR is someone saying to HAVE to find some fault with the Bolt, just for having something bad about it mentioned out of all the good that is out there. Too many publications do this and end up covering a topic that very few actually care about.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling that what this came down to for CR is someone saying to HAVE to find some fault with the Bolt, just for having something bad about it mentioned out of all the good that is out there. Too many publications do this and end up covering a topic that very few actually care about.
...except the Consumer Reports video isn't about the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Initially the video was a reference to the XT5 rearview mirror.. OP was just referring that to what will be in the bolt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, you have to re focus, so what? You have to do that constantly to look at anything else inside the car also, including the speedometer, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's called accommodation and some people, especially those with more years behind them, cannot do it effectively or quickly. This ignores those that have bifocals and only have the lower portion of their vision able to focus on close objects.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Do you find that everytime you look at the rearview mirror in camera mode, you have to refocus ?
Exactly, particularly hard to do, on the highway. For backing up, I think the console display may be better. Actually turning around and looking seems safer, especially for spotting cross traffic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It took me a few days to get used to, but its pretty cool with the wide angle covering blind spots you would never see with just normal car mirrors.

A few times I flip to normal and flip it back to camera again to recalibrate my sole surviving synapse.

I am amazed at how many idiots almost hit my car in heavy traffic situations on the freeway when they get impatient and how many morons have had to dive into the shoulder or hit me because they are screwing around on cell phones and not paying attention to driving.

I myself like the fact that with Android auto, I cannot do anything with the cell phone as the car takes total control of the phone and projects what it needs to on the screen.

I am definitely a much safer driver because of it.

The lack of sharp image on the rear view display is I think the cause for some people's discomfort. The real glass projects a much better image, but not wider.

I'm a fan of the camera...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, you have to re focus, so what? You have to do that constantly to look at anything else inside the car also, including the speedometer, etc.
yeah we do, this is in comparison to the amount of refocusing you have to do with the non-camera version (mirror), which I found to take maybe 1 second extra. maybe I'm old :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't really used the camera yet. I'm not old but I am coming from a verrrrrrry old car (2002 Camry). The Bolt has so many bells and whistles I've got to ease into them (bluetooth! a touch screen! blind-spot alerts! etc...). I'll probably try it soon.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Do you find that everytime you look at the rearview mirror in camera mode, you have to refocus ?
Yes, you'll have to refocus because your eye is much closer to the mirror's screen than to what's outside. Your eyes don't have to refocus when you use the actual mirror because it acts as if it's optically transparent like a window, and when you look out of those you focus on the scene, not on the window.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I only noticed it (effort to focus at a shorter distance) the very first time I used the rear view camera. I seemed to get used to it very quickly, and have not noticed any effort or delay since then. And I'm no spring chicken. I prefer the camera in all circumstances, except for heavy rain.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Overall its just a matter of getting used to the setup and I bet with a 30minute test drive practicing looking and refocusing that might be enough for you. As sales momentum die down some dealers might allow you to test drive it for a whole day.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
EV fans are always questioning why cars have to have outside side rearview mirrors. Why not just cameras? The car would be more aerodynamic and more efficient that way! Stupid ol' government!!!

This thread illustrates why that might not be such a great idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts