Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if it is a targeted promotion, but I just got an email from Chevy offering unlimited data for $15 per month. The regular price is $25.

It's still not worth it to me since my phone can be a hot spot, but I thought that I would pass the information along.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been using the car hotspot feature for a month now maybe, and the performance is barely better than the phone, but it's always on. That's about the only benefit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been using the car hotspot feature for a month now maybe, and the performance is barely better than the phone, but it's always on. That's about the only benefit.
In my case, it often provided a poorer connection than my phone - so no subscription for me.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
When you say, "always on," are you referring to when you are driving? Otherwise, it doesn't say on when the vehicle is turned off (or at least mine doesn't).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Vehicle Data is pretty darn slow. I tested mine during the free 3 months we got for data and it repeatedly topped out at 3Mbps. SLOW!!!!!!
HAHA, I once got 0.11 Mbps with this system. I wish it worked more consistently and worked even when off then I would have no issues with it at $15...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I only ran it during the free promo and I thought it was sub-par in performance. I also had a MiFi hotspot provided by work and would switch to that and see a night and day improvement when not using the car's hotspot.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Could make sense if you only need internet on your phone for home and in-car. $15/mo for unlimited data is a very good deal. If you can save more than $15 a month for a "voice and text but no data" plan, this is worth considering. Also, this would provide internet for all passengers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
also when making threads like this be sure to put the your currency as well.

Your $15USD is more like $30CDN for me.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
While I see some people complaining about the speed (it isn't close to hardwired internet), it's far better than the alternative. Also, the range on the car's cell phone antenna is far better than any phone I've used, which is why I'm able to use the hotspot for internet in places where high speed internet is limited or unavailable (i.e., the alternatives are dial up or satellite).

·
Registered
760 Posts
While I see some people complaining about the speed (it isn't close to hardwired internet), it's far better than the alternative. Also, the range on the car's cell phone antenna is far better than any phone I've used, which is why I'm able to use the hotspot for internet in places where high speed internet is limited or unavailable (i.e., the alternatives are dial up or satellite).
Yes comparing to dial up it is better lol. I'm comparing to local stores Walmart/ "United / Albertsons" which is 50-130 mbps! And FREE. My 2 cents they should up the game to 10 mbps as the minimum performance (not the current 3mpbs) and allow a "camping mode" in the car settings so I can use it extensively at home and elsewhere. If they did these 2 I would be very happy with it and glad to keep paying the $15.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes comparing to dial up it is better lol. I'm comparing to local stores Walmart/ "United / Albertsons" which is 50-130 mbps! And FREE. My 2 cents they should up the game to 10 mbps as the minimum performance (not the current 3mpbs) and allow a "camping mode" in the car settings so I can use it extensively at home and elsewhere. If they did these 2 I would be very happy with it and glad to keep paying the $15.
I got that offer about a year ago and I jumped on it. I have a really cheap cell phone plan (about $7.50 a month) that goes up significantly with data usage. Using online navigation really chews up the data fast, so just $15 / month for me was a great deal. Of course, I could always use navigation with offline maps, but I lose the voice interface and the ability to search for things like "EV charging station" or a business or just a general location information. It also gives me the ability to use Skype and general internet access. If you have an expensive unlimited data plan for your phone, I suppose it doesn't offer much, but for cheapo me, it's a great value. The only other OnStar plan for wifi was data limited, from what I could find, so that didn't work. It also allows me to keep an old S5 phone without a cell plan in the car, which I can use to make calls using Skype or for general internet access. I usually don't carry a phone with me, so having an extra no-cost emergency phone always available in the car is nice. But, I still keep offline maps on my phone for when there is no cell signal.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I agree with your comments but I probably didn't do a good job of explaining my frustration. I get the use of a MiFi via work, on an unlimited and with full disclosure, also not throttled after x GB's of data. In any case. If I connect my Note 9 cellphone to the car's built in solution (which I believe is AT&T), the data transfer rate using FAST.COM (Netflix's AWS test site) is 1/3rd the speed that I get if I use the cellular mobile data service that is native to the phone. My phone, going direct is 3 times faster using FAST.COM as my test site. I am not WiFi rocket science but I understand that going through WiFi is another layer but not a layer that would cost 3X's the data transfer rate. Now, to make it even more interesting. If I turn on the MiFi which is Verizon and I use my Note 9 phone on the MiFi via WiFi (of course) it's the fastest of all the offerings. Twice as fast as my best AT&T speed.

My concern, and I have no idea why. But my disappointment is the speed through the built in Bolt WiFi is much slower than a phone going native and not by a little, but a lot.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I agree with your comments but I probably didn't do a good job of explaining my frustration. I get the use of a MiFi via work, on an unlimited and with full disclosure, also not throttled after x GB's of data. In any case. If I connect my Note 9 cellphone to the car's built in solution (which I believe is AT&T), the data transfer rate using FAST.COM (Netflix's AWS test site) is 1/3rd the speed that I get if I use the cellular mobile data service that is native to the phone. My phone, going direct is 3 times faster using FAST.COM as my test site. I am not WiFi rocket science but I understand that going through WiFi is another layer but not a layer that would cost 3X's the data transfer rate. Now, to make it even more interesting. If I turn on the MiFi which is Verizon and I use my Note 9 phone on the MiFi via WiFi (of course) it's the fastest of all the offerings. Twice as fast as my best AT&T speed.

My concern, and I have no idea why. But my disappointment is the speed through the built in Bolt WiFi is much slower than a phone going native and not by a little, but a lot.

View attachment 29739
Yes, I was aware that's what your concern was, but it hasn't been my experience. For me, the speeds are roughly the same, whether I was using the AT&T network on my phone or through the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yes, for those who live in the city, I can see how it wouldn't be adequate. I do agree that they need a "camping mode," though. Something that enables us to use the Wi-Fi while the car is off. I know why they don't offer it, though, because unlike the Bolt EV, which has a 1-hour timer before shutting off, my 2015 Chevy Volt has a 2.5 hour timer before shutting off.

My suspicion is that GM did those shutoffs to prevent people from using these vehicles as power backups. Essentially, you can't just hook up an inverter and leave your car on to run your home or appliances.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When you say, "always on," are you referring to when you are driving? Otherwise, it doesn't say on when the vehicle is turned off (or at least mine doesn't).
It's always on when driving, which is to say, nobody in the back seat will bother me to turn the hotspot on as I'm trying to back out of the driveway. When it's parked, of course, it's off. I did the hack where I swapped in a Google Fi data SIM, I pulled down 23mbit when I last tested it. Fi runs on T-Mobile, Sprint and U.S. Cellular, so I have no idea what network it was using at that particular moment. But it's a real thing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In my case, it often provided a poorer connection than my phone - so no subscription for me.
For me, I got about a half mile deeper in to the mountains with the car's hotspot. Nothing earth shattering. That could have been a line of sight thing, I'm not an expert on cell propagation or reflections off the sides of the canyons. Out in the desert where you're line of sight but far far away it might do better with a weaker signal. Haven't had the occasion to test it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Glad You are liking it Sly, what kind of service do You get for only 7.5 per month?
I use Ting. My plan allows unlimited talk and text and $4 / GB of data. Basic cost is $6 per month and about $7.50 with the usual addon fees. I keep data turned off on my phone because I'm usually around WiFi, but I could turn it on via phone settings at any time if I really needed that. Android Auto chews up a lot of data very quickly, which is why the $15 unlimited data plan works well for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I guess I don't understand why people need WiFi in the car. Doesn't everyone in the universe have a phone, most with unlimited 4G (or 5G) data? I can't imagine a situation where I'd need to pay $15 or $25 a month for Chevy's service. Even if I became homeless and was living in the car, that's now how I'd get online.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts