Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I guess I don't understand why people need WiFi in the car. Doesn't everyone in the universe have a phone, most with unlimited 4G (or 5G) data? I can't imagine a situation where I'd need to pay $15 or $25 a month for Chevy's service. Even if I became homeless and was living in the car, that's now how I'd get online.
I'm online right now thanks to the AT&T hotspot in my Volt. Apparently, the only Verizon cellphone tower within 50 miles of me is down.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Apparently, the only Verizon cellphone tower within 50 miles of me is down.
Where in the world are you? I've traveled all over the US and I've only ever been without a cell signal on Verizon on I-80 west of San Antonio for about 50 miles.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Where in the world are you? I've traveled all over the US and I've only ever been without a cell signal on Verizon on I-80 west of San Antonio for about 50 miles.
Northern California, and apparently not the part with unicorns and rainbows. 🤣

In all seriousness, you just have to go into any of the mountainous areas and your cellphone signal goes to crap.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow! You must stick to major roads or live in the densely populated East Coast. It's easy for me to get out of cell range.
Most of the coast highway (1) of California from south of Carmel to San Simeon had poor/no Verizon service, while ATT works. Verizon generally does work better in most places for me, but not every place.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I guess I don't understand why people need WiFi in the car. Doesn't everyone in the universe have a phone, most with unlimited 4G (or 5G) data? I can't imagine a situation where I'd need to pay $15 or $25 a month for Chevy's service. Even if I became homeless and was living in the car, that's now how I'd get online.
I'm cheap. I only have a 2GB data plan with my cell phone and don't have a family plan where I'm pooling the data usage or going for unlimited. So, I'm physically usually in 3 spots: Home (I use the home WiFi), Work (use the WiFi there) or in the car and I have the work provided MiFi providing WiFi. I would drop my personal phone down to 1GB but they won't give me the 30% Govt employee discount if I drop below the 2GB level and as it is they only apply that discount to the data portion of the bill not the 'line access' portion.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yes, for those who live in the city, I can see how it wouldn't be adequate. I do agree that they need a "camping mode," though. Something that enables us to use the Wi-Fi while the car is off. I know why they don't offer it, though, because unlike the Bolt EV, which has a 1-hour timer before shutting off, my 2015 Chevy Volt has a 2.5 hour timer before shutting off.

My suspicion is that GM did those shutoffs to prevent people from using these vehicles as power backups. Essentially, you can't just hook up an inverter and leave your car on to run your home or appliances.
Except that you can:

You just need to hook up the inverter, chock the tires, start the Bolt, shift into Neutral, climb out the passenger door, and sacrifice a chicken. Except for finding a live chicken, it's really not all that difficult.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Except that you can:

You just need to hook up the inverter, chock the tires, start the Bolt, shift into Neutral, climb out the passenger door, and sacrifice a chicken. Except for finding a live chicken, it's really not all that difficult.
Yes, there are ways to circumvent it. I'm not too keen on leaving the car in neutral, but hey, camping mode. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Haha yes I'm aware of that "option". In Tesla no contortion or anything else needed just press the button on the GUI and it keeps on until 80% of capacity is used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like it because I can sign up and cancel any time without worrying about returning hardware or getting locked into long term plans. We have two Chevy's. I don't use it in the Bolt, but in our other Chevy which is an ICE we will sign up for it when we are going to make a trip. Then passengers can use it with tablets and laptops while traveling. When we get home I call Onstar and cancel the service.

We have Hotspot on our cell phones, but the data cap on them is really too small to cover people streaming Netflix or Youtube while in the car. So the car's built-in hotspot has worked for us.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Northern California, and apparently not the part with unicorns and rainbows. 🤣

In all seriousness, you just have to go into any of the mountainous areas and your cellphone signal goes to crap.
Verizon is king in the hills of nor cal. But lately at&t has been activating new towers.

I'm paying for the $15 unlimited data plan through OnStar. Not paying for phone service. I use Google Voice. And Pandora. So for $20 a month I have phone, nav, and music. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Verizon is king in the hills of nor cal. But lately at&t has been activating new towers.

I'm paying for the $15 unlimited data plan through OnStar. Not paying for phone service. I use Google Voice. And Pandora. So for $20 a month I have phone, nav, and music. Works for me.
I'm curious what you consider the "hills" of Northern California. I'm relatively new to Verizon, but I rarely encountered dead zones with AT&T between Sacramento and Oregon unless I went to areas where I knew there was no cell service whatsoever (satellite phones are required for first responders). So far, Verizon has been okay, but I've experienced outages and dead zones while my AT&T connection was still strong.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ha ha, yeah ,sorry. I live near Placerville. So to me that covers the western slope of the Sierra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Here's my experience with it. I live and work in rural areas some with poor cellphone service. My job has me uploading large amounts of data daily the cell card in my laptop is very weak using my bolt's hot wifi is a life saver. Like Eric said the antenna and signal boost of the car is by far better. I agree not everyone will have the need for daily use or see the difference of use in low signal areas.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The reason I like the $15 OnStar WiFi is that it is cheaper than Cellular service! Most unlimited data cell plans approach $50/mo. My phone is 100% WiFi. No cell bill.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The reason I like the $15 OnStar WiFi is that it is cheaper than Cellular service! Most unlimited data cell plans approach $50/mo. My phone is 100% WiFi. No cell bill.
If you only need a single line, most cell plans are about $70 a month with unlimited data. I get by with $7.50 a month for unlimited text and calls and rely on WiFi connections for data. Mostly I could get by without cell service, but you never know when you just might need it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You illustrate my point! $70/mo for cell service is ridiculous! When I can have the same capability for $15. Especially since AT&T has been beefing up its coverage.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts