Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes!

Congratulations! Your 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT is equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.

Looks like the deal applies, that's $5 cheaper (On initial registration, I was told it would cost $20/mo for unlimited data). Very tempted to sign up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had the AT&T unlimited data plan for my Bolt for the first two years I owned the vehicle. It was always reliable and I really had no issues with it. I only discontinued it because I had to burn off almost $400 worth of credits on my AT&T Pay-as-You-Go phone.. so I put data on my phone for a short while. Now that the unlimited plan for the Bolt is down to $15/month I'm going to sign up for it again. $15/month for unlimited data is a great offer.

Thanks for the heads up @p7wang ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I subscribed to the $20/month unlimited data plan. I just called AT&T and they moved me to the $15/month plan.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you can keep the car 'awake,' possibly?

I might jump on this because of the 22Gb soft cap, as opposed to the 5Gb cap on my very cheap grandfathered Tmobile plan, which is 30 dollars WITH taxes. Between the two, this could be overall better than switching to a 45 dollar plan.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For any of you with companies with enterprise agreements with a cell carrier, get chummy with the mobile device liaison, ****, sleep with her if it'll help (or him). But schmooze them and have them issue you a MiFi under the enterprise plan. I got an extra one for the Bolt/me, I pay $32/month in a reimbursement back to my employer. But with this beauty which stays in the Bolt a lot is on Verizon (great in my geography), it's unlimited and doesn't throttle. I lowered my cell phone to the 1GB plan and augment my usage with this. Put through 600GB many months streaming Netflix. I get that this is double the price, but it's versatile. You can take it on vacation, it's battery lasts longer than the Bolt's. Supports like 15 connections, and guests. It never hurts to ask the wireless liaison in your company, and if you have to put your back into it, it's worth it. For those of you with a government employer like me, get it registered on GETS via the FCC and your cell provider (no matter who it is) will prioritize your traffic. Like what ATT tries to make many believe with their First Responder / Responder Private Core marketing tactics (it isn't GETS/Wireless Priority Service, it's a facsimile at best). If I'm paying $32 through the government contract, corporate America is probably getting a better deal. Even if the company has a data pool, it still is worth it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this mean you can park it in the driveway with the wifi active and feed a repeater(s) in the house?
You would have to leave the car on, However, I think the car shuts off after 2 hours. I encountered this while sitting in the car enjoying A/C at a free L2 charger.

Does anyone know how to remove the SIM card and maybe transfer it to a hotspot? Would be great to have portability.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The 2017 Bolt seems to require the Harmon Spark dongle. When you query for the 2018 and 2019 Bolt it says yes, there's a built-in wi-fi system, but for the 2017 it doesn't say that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2017 Bolt seems to require the Harmon Spark dongle. When you query for the 2018 and 2019 Bolt it says yes, there's a built-in wi-fi system, but for the 2017 it doesn't say that.
That's actually a good thing... you can rig your own power source and keep the dongle running instead of leaving your car on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Except, probably, where AT&T coverage is nil, like in my area. It's beginning to look like Verizon or nothing.

Looks like Verizon has the Hum.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I look at OnStar for my 2017 Bolt, their $15 a month data plan has a limit, but the website doesn't specify what the limit is. They have an unlimited data plan for over $20 a month when you pay for a full year. I thought the 2017 Bolt included a wi-fi hotspot capability already, while the AT&T promo says the car would need a dongle, which will be used for more than wi-fi. I don't need engine reports or any telemetric data being sent out, just a good and inexpensive data plan.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
^ The 2017 Bolt does have an included wi-fi hotspot, it's paired with AT&T.
No dongle needed if you stay with AT&T wireless services.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Here's the fine print of the $15/month offer...

"Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion."

So it is "unlimited", you just "may" get throttled after 22GB (which would be pretty difficult to use based on my monthly usage patterns).

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Here's the fine print of the $15/month offer...

"Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion."

So it is "unlimited", you just get throttled after 22GB (which would be pretty difficult to use based on my monthly usage patterns).
In our part of central Virginia, Version is the only cell tower based data provider. We pay $20 per month, per device, for "unlimited" data. After 15 GB, each device is throttled back during "periods of network congestion." What they don't mention is that all times...24/7/365...are periods of network congestion here. Even before throttling occurs, there are times of day when internet access is as slow as old dial-up. If we paid for the Bolt's AT&T internet connection, it would be rented from Verizon on their equipment, and no different.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OnStar sent an email with this promotion:

"For a limited time, get one of our most popular data plans at the lowest price ever. Now for only $15.00/month, you can entertain the kids — and yourself — with an Unlimited Data Plan. Make trips fly by with reliable and unlimited streaming, gaming, and surfing using any device from your available in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot. Lock in this low price while it lasts!

Ready for an encore? When you add unlimited data by 10/31/19, you’ll also get 6 months of Spotify Premium so you and your passengers can enjoy ad-free tunes on the road."

Update: After signing up just now, the OnStar.com website for my account shows this:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the 1TB data limit. haha

BTW, can you stream Spotify while navigating in Android Auto?

Also, I guess the benefit of Satellite is uninterrupted music on road trips while Spotify means uninterrupted music where ever you have AT&T data.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
NY-Rob
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing