Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
465 Posts
Here's the problem with that idea: the hotspot in the car is only active when the car is turned "ON". If you try to leave the car turned on when it's parked in your garage or driveway (even if it is plugged in) , it will shut itself off after a short time. About an hour, I think, but not sure about that. So, you would need to keep going out and restarting the car every hour (or whatever) to use the hotspot as your home connection.
Yeah, learned this the hard way when my Bolt shut off on me when I was trying to use the Internet while “fast charging” and it turned off after 45 minutes or so. :/

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can force the Bolt to stay "on" by putting it in N(eutral), and climbing out the passenger door (without opening the driver's door). Opening the driver's door forces the Bolt into "Park" which has a two-hour limit for leaving it "on". While in Neutral, there is no such time limit. This is especially useful for camping or using the Bolt as an emergency power source from the 12V auxiliary battery. Just make sure you have wheel chocks to secure the Bolt.

My Bolt has a 120A Anderson connector with a 150A fuse connected to the aux battery under the hood. I've got a ten foot #2AWG welding cable extension cord and a 1500W pure sine wave inverter to round out the emergency power source using the Bolt. With the Bolt's 1600W DC-DC to the 12V aux battery capability and assumed losses in my system, I can reliably get ~1000W of load at the inverter and the Bolt's DC-DC converter can keep up. It's enough to keep a large refrigerator running in an emergency, and I can switch that out with a 700W microwave for cooking. Good for several days of grid outage.
I learned something from your post. The part about the 1600W DC-DC converter. I had never previously known where to find that information. Like you, (but slightly different) I have a 50A Anderson connector on the front of my car and a 25A Circuit breaker on #10 guage wire. I use it to power two circuits in my RV. One to run the 12V furnace blower motor which pulls about 8A when running, and a 12V TV and a couple of 12V lights which pull about 4.8A when on. But I also have some info to pass on to you. You can avoid having to "crawl out the passenger door", Simply open the driver's door before putting the car in neutral. In the owner's manual it's called "Car wash mode" This will keep the car powered up indefinitely.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts