Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Got it completed, tried it on the road, and now he's selling it.

Maybe his next project will be a streamlined trailer with a generator in it.

Or direct-drive from bicycle pedals at every seating position.

:p

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'd like to see proof that it can charge at more than 1kW. You'd need 6 sq/M of direct sun facing panels to achieve this, which is an 8 foot by 8 foot square. It's only practical if you live in a desert with no access to other charging means.

As I've always said, solar on a vehicle is dumb unless it's a small panel to keep the 12v battery topped off, and in the case of the Bolt, even that isn't necessary. You're miles ahead to put the panels on the roof of a house, or other stationary installation that is optimized to collect sun.

·
Registered
472 Posts
... solar on a vehicle is dumb unless it's a small panel to keep the 12v battery topped off
I bought HF's license-plate size solar 'automotive' charger for a farm tractor that is parked most of the winter, that wasn't enough to maintain the battery. Apparently something larger is needed.

I bought a 120 volt 'battery maintainer. That works as expected. And it doesn't cook the water off, which is what makes HF's $5 continuous trickle charger useless.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it gets points for fugly and impracticality (try washing it or driving at high speed!), that baby is a real winner.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Wait til one of those huge non-manufacturer approved solar panels catches wind underneath it and rips off sailing up 50' into the air causing a multi-car pileup on the interstate. Can you say "sued into oblivion" 10X fast?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
NY-Rob
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing