Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday got a call from my "concierge." Nice lady, told her I wanted a buy-back. She had me download the required info and told me she'd pass it on to the proper unit within GM.

So, maybe I'm still in the running for a buy-back. I'll let everyone know what goes down.

Rich

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need a brand new thread for this news?
Yup. I like wasting ink...

Rich

Edit: The last thread I did on this I got yelled at for not responding enough. Now I get a complaint I shudda just added to an old thread. Just can't win around here!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Newest update: Just got a call a minute ago (Tues 11/23) from Brianna. She is moving my request for a buy-back along. Told me the process will take up to around ten weeks due to volume. I told her that was fine. I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.

Rich

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Newest update: Just got a call a minute ago (Tues 11/23) from Brianna. She is moving my request for a buy-back along. Told me the process will take up to around ten weeks due to volume.
By this, do they mean that your case has been sent to (the queue at) GM RVDC / Morley, which will (when your case reaches the front of the queue) ask for photos, make the offer, and send paperwork to the dealer?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By this, do they mean that your case has been sent to (the queue at) GM RVDC / Morley, which will (when your case reaches the front of the queue) ask for photos, make the offer, and send paperwork to the dealer?
I've sent in the "paperwork" (jpg images required), more than that I don't know. Brianna stated she got my photos and told me they were what was needed. I'm sure the vehicle will have to be inspected at some time in the future for a valid offer to be made.

Rich

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
35 Posts
My vehicle is still within my state's lemon law period. I'm giving them ~6 months before that lemon law protection expires, them I'm pursuing a buyback. If they don't want to play ball, this will be an easy win for an attorney - and I'll make sure attorney fees are included in the final settlement.

My battery better be replaced in my 2020 by the end of March 2022. That's my firm deadline.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My battery better be replaced in my 2020 by the end of March 2022. That's my firm deadline.
Unless the new software flags your battery as a priority it's not at all likely you'll have a new one by the end of March 2022.
Assuming we're right in thinking older cars get priority, that is.
I expect a year or more for our 2021. Which, now we've gotten used to the idea, isn't a problem. We'll have about 25k miles on the car by then.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
35 Posts
Unless the new software flags your battery as a priority it's not at all likely you'll have a new one by the end of March 2022.
Assuming we're right in thinking older cars get priority, that is.
I expect a year or more for our 2021. Which, now we've gotten used to the idea, isn't a problem. We'll have about 25k miles on the car by then.
I'm certain that if this goes over a year, Chevy is going to:
  1. discontinue the Bolt
  2. Declare that 80% range is the final fix
  3. Eventually pay out a class action settlement much lower than the cost of replacing all of the batteries
The reputation hit has already happened, letting it go on will prolong the bad press. Might as well save some money, take one last reputation hit, and move on to Ultium.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm certain that if this goes over a year, Chevy is going to:
  1. discontinue the Bolt
  2. Declare that 80% range is the final fix
  3. Eventually pay out a class action settlement much lower than the cost of replacing all of the batteries
The reputation hit has already happened, letting it go on will prolong the bad press. Might as well save some money, take one last reputation hit, and move on to Ultium.
This isn't a plausible scenario for a few reasons, the biggest of which is the NHTSA. Once GM declares their intentions to the NHTSA, they have an obligation to see it through. In order to NOT replace batteries, they would have to get government sign off on it. This seems very unlikely. You would then have to deal with the outcry from owners about not getting what was advertised. You think GM's reputation has taken a hit, but in reality, your every day driver off the street has no clue what is going on with this recall. However, if GM tried to do what you are suggesting, the PR blowup would be significantly worse. Not to mention just as expensive, as the class action lawsuit would be massive.

GM is going to replace every single one of the batteries that they can, and they are going to do it so that their future in EVs still has a chance to succeed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This isn't a plausible scenario for a few reasons, the biggest of which is the NHTSA. Once GM declares their intentions to the NHTSA, they have an obligation to see it through. In order to NOT replace batteries, they would have to get government sign off on it. This seems very unlikely. You would then have to deal with the outcry from owners about not getting what was advertised. You think GM's reputation has taken a hit, but in reality, your every day driver off the street has no clue what is going on with this recall. However, if GM tried to do what you are suggesting, the PR blowup would be significantly worse. Not to mention just as expensive, as the class action lawsuit would be massive.

GM is going to replace every single one of the batteries that they can, and they are going to do it so that their future in EVs still has a chance to succeed.
#3 - LG is paying for the lions share of this, not GM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts