Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I am sorry you had this much of a trouble.
I would suggest to check ClipperCreek site and chose a L2 EVSE that fits your need. I have mine (LCS-20) for already 8 years now and I never had a problem with it. The service and support is also great. When I decided to buy from them, I called them and they were very professionals.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I specifically asked my dealer about level 2 chargers and the GM warranty my car is still under. No aftermarket chargers are approved by GM for the Bolt. The only one that will keep your warranty in tact is the one you buy through them. I know that charger is also "aftermarket" but it is approved by them. So, it doesn't matter which level 2 charger I buy to replace the Mustart, whether it be a Clipper Creek or other, it will be the same story if damage is done to the car charging port or other charger wiring. The GM warrant will not cover it.
It sure doesn’t cover it and I didn’t imply it would. But, my suggestion for you was to go with an EVSE maker that has a proven, reliable product for already more than 15 years. There were not many when I bought my EVSE in 2014. And ClipperCreek (Sun Country) were the best at the time, money wise investment and reliable.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Is the Mustart unit UL approved? If so, then Chevy can't tell you it is unsafe to use for charging of your car and deny the warranty repair. If they want to sue Mustart for the damages that is their business. If the Mustart unit is NOT UL approved then it becomes much harder.

Keith
If the cause of the damage is the Mustart EVSE, GM has no responsibility in this. Unless you tell me that if I am hit by lightning on your driveway, I am entitled to ask you to pay all my health bills incurred by this incident. Because hey, it happened on your driveway !

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Question - did you have the 1st Mustart version known to have overheating issues or the 2nd version? I bought the newer version after reading reports about the problems that existed with the old style. The newer one has a nice all metal handle and we've never had a problem in the 1-1/2 years we've owned our Bolt. I'm concerned if your issue was with the new style.
This is a new issue that we have to deal with EVs. In the ICE days, there are multiple ways to mess up your car and engine that wouldn't be covered. It will be a learning curve for us until the dust settles on the best products.
Although I am not the OP, the OP said he bought the EVSE in 2018. This would be an indication that it was version 1 and not the last of the Mustart EVSE.
EVSE L2 exist since 2011 (since the first Volt was put on the market) and the dust settled already, IMO. I bought mine in 2014. At the time there were not many who were good to have in cold weather (the cable becomes stiff in bellow freezing temperatures).

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The car software monitors and detects all types of charge amperage, voltage, heat and safety issues...

So.....which is it?
There is a problem in your statement, the car monitors the battery heat and safety issues, not the charging port. At the charging port level it only checks the amperage and voltage. No heat detector as I know of, unless you show it to me. The power it receives from the EVSE doesn’t come labeled with a warning "hot wire" ! Imagine if Bolt EV had a security system that would not allow the charge if the temperature of the EVSE would be, let’s say 40C (the temperature that today servers have a warning on). Wouldn’t be GM to blame for this ? How many EVSE kept in the torrid sun of Arizona or Florida wouldn’t charge ? I get it, government doesn’t have to think for us, but come on, the private sector should be kept at the same level in this case, IMO.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A temp sensor located near the two power pins in the car's port is what is needed for this problem.
( Although it could be done from the EVSE handle also.)
Yeah, I understand, but in my opinion it's another "idiot proof" thing. The EVSE pins shouldn't become that hot to melt a port if it is build according to the code, in the first place. Why shouldn't be the EVSE L2 fabricants that should implement a "thermostat" inside the "box" and monitor the cable temp ? In the last 8 years since I use an EVSE and I am more or less connected to the EV world, the case presented by the OP is about the single one I ever read about.
In other words, what you say is : don't matter what crap EVSE you buy, the car will take care of it. And if you can't charge, it's the fault of the EVSE you bought, not ours. And in what court of law such a thing will stand ? I have no idea, but I am sure not many around. There is no such thing as "idiot proof" tool.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I agree. Small built in temp sensors would end these melt downs.
Being that we live in a world where the net profit is the king, someone will do the counting of the numbers of melting ports that happened vs the number of EVSE bought, then will put in the balance the cost of implementing the proposed solution and in the end, nothing will change. And IMO for the good reason.
As they say, let the market play its role, the "bad apples" will be gone in short time. I doubt there are many who are inclined today to buy a Mustar EVSE. From my experience, reputation is something that you build in years and you lose in seconds. I hope Mustar do the right thing for the OP and pay his bill.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Also, EVSE charge handles age and get dirty. Is there a plan for that?
I have mine since 2014, so a quick math says : 8 years already. It is acting as good as new. As with everything else, you have something in mint conditions if you do a minimum maintenance to it. If you let the EVSE in the grass or in the dirt when you leave home, don't be surprised it is no longer working as it should in short time.
Do you notice how Semi trucks and Trains don't belch out black smoke and lots of noise as they did not too long ago?
Letting the Market Decide did not do that. Regulations did that!!
Yes, I do. And do you know what ? Everything that's sold as electric appliance is also regulated. Even stricter than the semis or trains. It's just that some decided to cut the corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts