Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Just replace the parts that are bad. You don't need a whole new EVSE, just the J1772 handle. One with good quality pin grip.

I already replaced the handle on my Mustart 32A EVSE for this exact problem- excessive heat on the pins in the charge port.
I replaced the handle on my EVSE because the trigger broke. I would not classify replacing the handle as an easy DIY job. I ended up leaving the pins from the old connection because I did not have a crimper to properly re-crimp the pins and in the case of the Mustart I think the Pins are part of the problem. A handle costs about $100 and about 1 hour worth of time. If I was doing it over again I would have just bought a new EVSE rather than just replacing the handle. Or I would have fixed the one I had.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I do know. Here's how.
The charge port in the car is a PIN. Just a simple metal post. The EVSE is a socket. The socket has to have a minimum grip strength to hold the pin. If the connection is making heat, it is not holding tight enough. That CANNOT be the fault of the pin. It cannot be the fault of the port. It cannot be the fault of the car. EVSE is at fault.

Same with a melted outlet. It's always the fault of the outlet for not holding the plug tightly. Or, the fault of the outlet for not holding the service wire tightly.
It's not the Pin, its the socket. I will remember that. 😜

1 - 2 of 2 Posts