Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
217 Posts
Seems Unreasonable to me....:mad:

How could this possibly work in new world of EV's?
You're proposing:
Chevy's only use Chevy EVSE. (the one 'gm provided' is a 120V/12A EVSE)
Ford only uses Ford EVSE's?
Etc, etc...
I totally don't get this point of view. Consider if you have an ICE vehicle, and you go to fuel up at Shell (or Chevron, whatever), and the fuel is contaminated with salt water, rocket fuel, maple syrup, etc. Your engine is damaged.

Who do you expect to pay for the repairs? The manufacturer of your vehicle, or whoever sold you the crappy fuel? If they're the same entity, then it's easy. If they're not, then why should the vehicle manufacturer take care of the damages due to bad fuel?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
633 Posts
I totally don't get this point of view. Consider if you have an ICE vehicle, and you go to fuel up at Shell (or Chevron, whatever), and the fuel is contaminated with salt water, rocket fuel, maple syrup, etc. Your engine is damaged.

Who do you expect to pay for the repairs? The manufacturer of your vehicle, or whoever sold you the crappy fuel? If they're the same entity, then it's easy. If they're not, then why should the vehicle manufacturer take care of the damages due to bad fuel?
Exactly! GM does not make you use GM gasoline only. You can use any cheap gas. They will still warranty your engine's misfires problems and injector problems.
You can also use any EVSE to charge your car.
IF the EVSE welds itself to the pins that is not GM's problem. That just means the seller misadvertized the EVSE and sold you a welder. :)
EVs are a bit different from ICE in this case.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,538 Posts
Exactly! GM does not make you use GM gasoline only. You can use any cheap gas. They will still warranty your engine's misfires problems and injector problems.
You can also use any EVSE to charge your car.
IF the EVSE welds itself to the pins that is not GM's problem. That just means the seller misadvertized the EVSE and sold you a welder. :)
EVs are a bit different from ICE in this case.
When contaminated gasoline from Costco damaged engines, Costco paid for the repairs. It wasn't the car manufacturers that paid for the repairs.

In your scenario, I could add water to your gas tank, damaging your engine, and somehow your car's manufacturer would be liable for the repairs instead of me.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The car software monitors and detects all types of charge amperage, voltage, heat and safety issues...

So.....which is it?
There is a problem in your statement, the car monitors the battery heat and safety issues, not the charging port. At the charging port level it only checks the amperage and voltage. No heat detector as I know of, unless you show it to me. The power it receives from the EVSE doesn’t come labeled with a warning "hot wire" ! Imagine if Bolt EV had a security system that would not allow the charge if the temperature of the EVSE would be, let’s say 40C (the temperature that today servers have a warning on). Wouldn’t be GM to blame for this ? How many EVSE kept in the torrid sun of Arizona or Florida wouldn’t charge ? I get it, government doesn’t have to think for us, but come on, the private sector should be kept at the same level in this case, IMO.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,862 Posts
-I totally don't get this point of view.
-Who do you expect to pay for the repairs?
-I am always pointing out that the EVSE is to blame.
-I expect the EVSE manufacturer to pay for the repair.
And I believe it has happened in the past with Mustart, I just don't feel like finding that thread.:confused:

But then, EVSE's can't be warranted forever and a day...
Maybe there should be a protocol for testing and cleaning the handles of EVSE's that have been in service for a long time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
... Imagine if Bolt EV had a security system that would not allow the charge if the temperature of the EVSE would be, let’s say 40C ....
A temp sensor located near the two power pins in the car's port is what is needed for this problem.
( Although it could be done from the EVSE handle also.)
And the temp of the port would be compared to ambient temp, which the Bolt already has a sensor for.
There probably is a normal amount of temp rise in that connection while 7.2 or 10kW is flowing.
The question would be how much temp rise is getting close to 'Plastic Melting temps'?

As I said, this is An Opportunity for Improvement !
Across the J1772 EV landscape. This is not a gm only problem .

Reactions: gonnabolt

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A temp sensor located near the two power pins in the car's port is what is needed for this problem.
( Although it could be done from the EVSE handle also.)
Yeah, I understand, but in my opinion it's another "idiot proof" thing. The EVSE pins shouldn't become that hot to melt a port if it is build according to the code, in the first place. Why shouldn't be the EVSE L2 fabricants that should implement a "thermostat" inside the "box" and monitor the cable temp ? In the last 8 years since I use an EVSE and I am more or less connected to the EV world, the case presented by the OP is about the single one I ever read about.
In other words, what you say is : don't matter what crap EVSE you buy, the car will take care of it. And if you can't charge, it's the fault of the EVSE you bought, not ours. And in what court of law such a thing will stand ? I have no idea, but I am sure not many around. There is no such thing as "idiot proof" tool.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Seems Unreasonable to me....:mad:

How could this possibly work in new world of EV's?
You're proposing:
Chevy's only use Chevy EVSE. (the one 'gm provided' is a 120V/12A EVSE)
Ford only uses Ford EVSE's?
Etc, etc...
NO Public L2's or DCFC are allowed?

Yes, a bad connection in the EVSE handle caused the high heat damage.
I never suggested anything of the sort. I am saying that GM doesn’t need to cover damage caused by charging hardware (that they do not also warranty) just as they do not need to cover damage to an ICE engine caused by bad gasoline from Exxon.

If you are charging at a public station, and the station’s equipment malfunctions and damages your Bolt, do you think that is GM’s responsibility?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
...In other words, what you say is : don't matter what crap EVSE you buy, the car will take care of it....
I guess I'm not the good communicator.
I thought I repeatedly said it was the EVSE that caused this problem with loose pin-grip or bad crimp at one of the Power Sockets.

Or was it another thread??? :unsure: I'll unfollow this one.

.... I am saying that GM doesn’t need to cover damage caused by charging hardware ...

If you are charging at a public station, and the station’s equipment malfunctions and damages your Bolt, do you think that is GM’s responsibility?
Look, I agree totally!
I think the EVSE manufacturer needs to step up and pay for the car repairs.
And I think I saw this happen to a Bolt owner on this forum.

Maybe I was joking about what the dealer told the OP about "Only gm EVSE". Sorry for the misunderstanding. (y)

It is not "GM's Responsibility",,, M'kay?

·
Registered
341 Posts
It sounds like a there is a good argument that EV manufactures are going to need add temperature sensing to send a shutdown or reduce charge rate message to the EVSE if the inlet port starts to overheat. EVSE manufacturers should also add temp sensing to their charge plugs. A perfect solution, no, but perhaps a good idea.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
... EV manufactures are going to need add temperature sensing to send a shutdown or reduce charge rate message to the EVSE if the inlet port starts to overheat. ...
Well, technically,, (I'm that guy...) the EVSE sends the car it's rated current. It's a one-way pilot signal, iirc.
The Onboard Charger handles all the current usage control. The EVSE is just ON - OFF power relay.

I agree. Small built in temp sensors would end these melt downs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, technically,, (I'm that guy...) the EVSE sends the car it's rated current. It's a one-way pilot signal, iirc.
The Onboard Charger handles all the current usage control. The EVSE is just ON - OFF power relay.

Yes, I kind of have that backwards don't I. So, the car should do the current reduction attempt I guess.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Being that we live in a world where the net profit is the king, someone will do the counting of the numbers of melting ports that happened vs the number of EVSE bought, then will put in the balance the cost of implementing the proposed solution and in the end, nothing will change. And IMO for the good reason.
As they say, let the market play its role, the "bad apples" will be gone in short time. I doubt there are many who are inclined today to buy a Mustar EVSE. From my experience, reputation is something that you build in years and you lose in seconds. I hope Mustar do the right thing for the OP and pay his bill.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
...As they say, let the market play its role, the "bad apples" will be gone in short time......
Not quick enough. Those left with smoked $1300 charge ports might like a more technical fix than,,,
Letting the Market Decide.
It would be an addendum to the current SAE specs for the J1772 standard.
And it sounds like some EV manufactures made it happen without the SAE getting involved in the past.

Also, EVSE charge handles age and get dirty. Is there a plan for that?

Do you notice how Semi trucks and Trains don't belch out black smoke and lots of noise as they did not too long ago?
Letting the Market Decide did not do that. Regulations did that!!
Health and Safety should not come after Profit, regardless of what Ayn taught us in our youth. :rolleyes:;)

Reactions: Jerry Duke

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Also, EVSE charge handles age and get dirty. Is there a plan for that?
I have mine since 2014, so a quick math says : 8 years already. It is acting as good as new. As with everything else, you have something in mint conditions if you do a minimum maintenance to it. If you let the EVSE in the grass or in the dirt when you leave home, don't be surprised it is no longer working as it should in short time.
Do you notice how Semi trucks and Trains don't belch out black smoke and lots of noise as they did not too long ago?
Letting the Market Decide did not do that. Regulations did that!!
Yes, I do. And do you know what ? Everything that's sold as electric appliance is also regulated. Even stricter than the semis or trains. It's just that some decided to cut the corners.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,527 Posts
Yes, I kind of have that backwards don't I. So, the car should do the current reduction attempt I guess.
Either side could do it actually. The EVSE can lower its max available current via the control pilot signal. The EV can reduce its current draw. Just because 32A is offered, the EV isn't obligated to utilize all of it.

Both would required more sensors and more programming to execute.

ga2500ev

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,538 Posts
Why not a temperature sensor on both sides - the EVSE and the charge port? It's clearly a failure mode that seems more common (given the variety of EVSE manufacturers of varying reliability) compared to gas station pumps. So it would actually take 2 sensor / safety system failures for this type of event to occur. I'm sure NHTSA could do a cost-benefit analysis of the cost of the additional sensor vs the benefit in avoided damages. If the cost-benefit isn't there, we'll have to live with the occasional failure then.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
701 Posts
Why not a temperature sensor on both sides
The prime tech EVSE model I used had a temp sensor on it to turn it off. I had issues with moisture in the handle and I returned it a got the regular EVSE without the sensor. Which may or may not have anything to do with the sensor.
If your charge shuts off and you get no notice, it could be moisture in the handle. Once you te plug it back in the charge works again for awhile. I blew it off with a hair dryer and it worked until the next heavy rain.
The new EVSE without the sensor has worked fine for months.
Temp sensors are good they just have to do it right

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The prime tech EVSE model I used had a temp sensor on it to turn it off. I had issues with moisture in the handle and I returned it a got the regular EVSE without the sensor. ....
Temp sensors are good they just have to do it right
Interesting! I didn't know there are EVSE's that advertise this added safety feature of a temp sensor.
I suspect the issue with yours was the 'moisture in the handle'. That probably triggered the GFCI which quickly opened the EVSE relay. It takes very little current leakage across the power to ground pins.
GFCI: A required Safety Feature!

Maybe someday there will be small temp sensors built in close to the two power pins and sockets.
Either side of the charge port / EVSE can stop the current!
It should probably be there at the DC pins/sockets also!

It can't be that expensive to incorporate this in future models, but you know,,, profits...
Maybe the SAE can have a Pow Wow and require it,, someday, after many more damaged charge ports, (and hopefully not fires at the ports).
And as I said, maybe call out a routine cleaning and testing of the EVSE charge handle sockets.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts