Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2021Bolt
701 Posts
I suspect the issue with yours was the 'moisture in the handle'. That probably triggered the GFCI which quickly opened the EVSE relay. It takes very little current leakage across the power to ground pins.
GFCI: A required Safety Feature!
Pretty much. That’s why they sent me a replacement without the sensor. So it would be less sensitive. Which is fine with me cause with the new one i can turn the amps down. Could not do that with the first one. When it says auto amp adjuster I don’t think it adjusts down to lower amps when the breaker is lower. Like I did a few weeks ago at a friends as he only had a 30a breaker. Had to turn the new one down to 24a

All it says is overheat protection

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,862 Posts
Pretty much. That’s why they sent me a replacement without the sensor. So it would be less sensitive. .

All it says is overheat protection
The GFCI will be just as sensitive and quick to open the relay.
Too bad that brand stopped having a temp sensor in the handle,, if it ever really did....
That would require a different cable with two extra wires compared to a standard EVSE cable.

That linked EVSE probably is talking about 'overheat protection' in the box, not at the charge handle.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am saying that GM doesn’t need to cover damage caused by charging hardware
This dead horse needs more beating. It's MY TURN!

1. The charger is the source of the problem.
2. The maker of the charger is responsible for the damage.

If the maker of the charger was GM then GM would be responsible for the repair.

GM saying that they don't cover the damage because it's not a GM approved charger is not the right way to word it.

"The charger manufacturer is on the hook for the repair. If the GM charger was used then that would be us."

Worth noting.. The Bolt DOES have thermistor, but it's on the DC pins.

To Do List MY2024: Put a thermistor on the AC port too.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,009 Posts
Worth noting.. The Bolt DOES have thermistor, but it's on the DC pins.

To Do List MY2024: Put a thermistor on the AC port too.
Wherever the thermistor is located, it shows the port temperature just fine. I see the temperature go up when charging on the L2 in my garage. Of course, it goes up more on DC charging.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts