Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Before the Bolt even hits showroom floors Nissan is updating and upgrading the 2016 Leaf.

Equipped with a 27 percent increase in battery power, the two top trimmed SV and SL Leaves will receive a new 30 kWh battery which the EPA says should be good for a 107-mile range on full charge. The base Leaf S will soldier on with the current 84-mile, 24 kWh battery.

Gas prices are obviously affecting the financial benefits of owning an electric vehicle, but there are other motivations for consumers to buy a Leaf,” told Tony Weeks, senior manager, Nissan EV sales and marketing, to Automotive News “They want the convenience of not having to go to a gas station. They like being able to charge their car at home. They like being off the grid when it comes to the use of oil and gas. Increased driving range is something that customers will find very appealing.

The Leaf SV will see its price jump some $2,100 before federal tax credits, while the SL jumpers $1,670. S trim pricing remains unchanged from 2015.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Even with the increased mileage, the Leaf will still have to contend with the estimated 300 plus km that the Chevy Bolt is estimated to have.
Once the Bolt comes out, Nissan Leaf sales will most likely go down and those who are thinking of purchasing the Leaf may wait for the Bolt instead.

I was actually thinking about purchasing the Leaf but I'd rather wait for the Bolt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yea I don't think the range is sufficient yet, at least not relative to what the Bolt and Volt will be offering. I assume it will be cheaper though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The cost of a Leaf will most likely go down when the Bolt comes out or be padded with a few more incentives but the range is too limited to travel very far along with the sparsely located chargers along the way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't imagine it going down by much, probably just enough to leverage marketing efforts and to make it sound better in price, just face value.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That title is misleading and false: "Updated Leaf Pre-empts Chevy Bolt" . The verb "preempt" means: take action in order to prevent (an anticipated event) from happening.

Nothing that Nissan will offer can prevent the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV from production. And an increase to just over 100 miles of EV range will not affect the interest in buying the Bolt EV because it is a GM BEV and with a proven 200 mile EV range (some test cars have run over 200 miles), while the updated Leaf is still "vaporware" with no proven vehicles (maybe they exist only in Nissan's garage in Japan).

Don't let this title mislead other readers because it is false!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Probably just a poor choice of wording for the title.
doubt the Leaf can tap into the Bolt sales when the Bolt is the better electric vehicle. More updated interior and it can travel farther per charge.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Probably just a poor choice of wording for the title.
doubt the Leaf can tap into the Bolt sales when the Bolt is the better electric vehicle. More updated interior and it can travel farther per charge.
I have a feeling it will to some extend but maybe not to the extent it will out number the Bolt... that will be a tough one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That title is misleading and false: "Updated Leaf Pre-empts Chevy Bolt" . The verb "preempt" means: take action in order to prevent (an anticipated event) from happening.

Nothing that Nissan will offer can prevent the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV from production. And an increase to just over 100 miles of EV range will not affect the interest in buying the Bolt EV because it is a GM BEV and with a proven 200 mile EV range (some test cars have run over 200 miles), while the updated Leaf is still "vaporware" with no proven vehicles (maybe they exist only in Nissan's garage in Japan).

Don't let this title mislead other readers because it is false!
LOL you're a funny one... you call the new leaf vapor ware, yet hammer on about how much better a car never seen outside of prototype form will be... Nissan-Renault play a serious game when it comes to EV's they're not EV leaders by accident...

What I find most interesting is you're willing to believe GM when they say that their prototypes have run more then 200 miles, yet Nissan who already has a proven product on the market only has vaporware when they claim mileage more then that...

The Bolt has proven NOTHING other then it exists in prototype form. You're the one who's misleading now ;)

Why does GM get a pass but Nissan does not...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Shuto;14361 Why does GM get a pass but Nissan does not...[/QUOTE said:
Where is the new Nissan Leaf? Have YOU seen it? I know several persons who did see and touched the Bolt Ev concept vehicle. And GM has published several videos of their 55 test vehicles, including a scene using the SAE J1772 DCFC plug to charge it. Many of the automotive magazines have seen those Bolts on the roads and taken pictures (there is a great thread here about the interior). Has anyone seen any news similar or better about that supposed better Leaf?

Nissan wants to take away the "news" on the Bolt EV because it will be a better BEV. Even Tesla Motors makes posts (and "tweets?") about the also non-existant Model 3, but has anyone seen it, or at least a drawing of it?:mad:

I am a GM fan since 1957 and a owner since 1976 so I know more about the real GM than you do!! What GM promises is REAL!!

Don't protect Nissan because there is no proof that their "new Leaf" is better. The Bolt is REAL!

BTW, I am a full-born New Yorker, so I am a North American defending a North American company (my wife's cousin works at the Rochester plant). That is why I defend GM.:D

Are you a traitor defending an import?

·
Registered
639 Posts
You have a point on us needing to support American companies, even more so during these competitive times, but of course the value they provide is another thing... which to me seems like GM has that in check.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that I should support any company that provides the best products and services. I hope North American companies are able to compete for that title, but if not, I won't support them when they make an inferior product.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that I should support any company that provides the best products and services. I hope North American companies are able to compete for that title, but if not, I won't support them when they make an inferior product.
What's helping companies that aren't origianlly american is that they're setting up manufacturing facilities on U.S. soil... and you know how that helps the local economy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm all for manufacturing being a part of the economy. Sending it all to Asia is/was terrible for the economy. I'm glad we are seeing some of it coming back. I hope the TPP doesn't cause the same issues all over again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you heard about the battery degradation of the Nissan Leaf? It is horrible. Also, the mileage variation of the Nissan Leaf fluctuates greatly due to temperature since the batteries are air regulated. The liquid regulated batteries in the Volt and Bolt EV are so much better. The Volt does not lose any capacity even after over 300,000 miles. I have a 2014 Volt with almost 29,000 miles and the miles per charge keep increasing. I regularly get between 50 and 53 miles per charge even though the car was rated at 38 miles per charge by the EPA. :) I am staying away from Nissan!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is 15% degradation after about 52,000 miles bad? That's the general estimate I found for the leaf.
Battery degradation is only partially attributable to mileage. Heat is the the biggest cause of battery degradation, and since LEAF battery cooling is completely passive it is much more vulnerable.
Charging/discharging creates heat, and if the car is driven hard in high temps, then quick charged. it can (and will) greatly accelerate battery degradation. Anything over 70% capacity is considered within spec by Nissan.
The Bolt has active thermal management (I think it likely the revised LEAF will also), so battery temps are kept much lower when charging/discharging.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts