Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning. Can the 2017 Bolt without the Fast Charge Option be upgraded to Fast Charge at Dealership? Looked up the part and it is only a few hundred dollars, but some concern as to whether it will actually work as software may not recognize it. No Accessory Option Available which is the first Red Flag.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Good question. Looking at a GM video, it looked like one cable going to the high power distribution module.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, parts are easy enough to get lansing has in stock. Spoke to our resident Bolt Tech though and his concerns among others was whether the system would even recognize the Fast Charge plug. Generally not a good thing when not a available accessory, although seems like it should be for customers who's needs change from local driving to longer distances.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is as a Factory Installed Option MSRP is $750. Question is whether or not it can be added to a Bolt not equipped with Fast Charge Option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I had our SM call Tech Assistance and answer is NO at this point. It will require software update and GM is not there yet with the ability to update a Non CBT Bolt to recognize it has had CBT installed. I appreciate the help and at least the questions is answered at least for the short term.

·
Registered
989 Posts
OK so I had our SM call Tech Assistance and answer is NO at this point. It will require software update and GM is not there yet with the ability to update a Non CBT Bolt to recognize it has had CBT installed. I appreciate the help and at least the questions is answered at least for the short term.
If one car was built with the system it should be able to be an addition, if all the parts are made
available. If you purchased the control modules and wire harnesses with an RPO code from a Bolt with DCFC option, the software would work. The problem would be getting everything needed and doing the install and performing the reconfiguration of the vehicles software.

The costs would be astronomical because of the required parts and labor time to do so.
As a one off project, I would bet it's more than 3 to 5 grand @ 120 bucks an hour with parts.

I would be willing to do it for you, but it's a straight time labor job and you'll need to bring me
your car and a wad of cash to get started. I can copy the RPO's from my car and order the parts.
Plan on leaving the car for about a month to make sure I have time to finish the job properly.

You'll also need to pay for the GM diagnostic software and
the service programming subscriptions too. I have a GM - GDS2 to communicate with.

It can be done, but, can you afford to do it is the big question ?
>:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well guys never say never, I did this on a Nissan Leaf when the dealer said it couldn’t be done. No programming needed. I already have the charging port with ccs port and the junction block which has all the relays inside. I’m still studying the diagram but will be installing soon. I bought a 2017 bolt with 9350 miles for 26,000. They wanted 39,000 for a new 2019 with ccs, with this savings I can afford to added, so far I have spent 352.00 for port with ccs plug and wires to hook up to junction block and 578.50 for the junction block this prices include shipping and are all new. I’ll keep everyone updated to process and will make a video also. I hate it when people say it can’t be done, it’s all possible and the cost it’s unknown so it can cost 1000 to 5000 we will see!!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
...so far I have spent 352.00 for port with ccs plug and wires to hook up to junction block and 578.50 for the junction block this prices include shipping and are all new. I’ll keep everyone updated to process and will make a video also. I hate it when people say it can’t be done, it’s all possible and the cost it’s unknown so it can cost 1000 to 5000 we will see!!
I'm skeptical, but I appreciate that you're going to give it a shot and give us a definitive answer.

I will note, however, that you've already spent more than the cost of the option if it had been on the car to begin with...

·
Registered
643 Posts
I’m going to be concerned about the warranty - you are handing GM an excuse to decline future battery warranty claims! If there is ever an issue with the battery and they notice the VIN is a non-DCFC car GM won’t hesitate to decline your battery warranty claim. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes my warranty will be out the door when I decide to do it I have 10900 miles now I might wait till 20000 miles, also I know the option was 750 but again I paid 26000 used which came from Texas so my other option was new one in Miami 2 hours from me but at 38,900 I got the Texas one and saved a lot of money. I’m very technical and own a restaurant repair company so I do electrical work all day I have worked on 480v circuits so I like a challenge. The way I see it I saved over 10000 on the car so I’m ok spending the money making the retrofit and helping other by me being the test car. So I hope this works and can help other that may want to do it. Like I said before Nissan told me it was impossible, couldn’t be done, needed programming and the car was not going to recognize the CHAdeMO charge, but guess what it was easy and no programming, to this day charges on CHAdeMO no problem and I still own the leaf. Auto makers lie period!! They want their 750 when you purchase and don’t want to offer retrofit which is stupid on their part. There is always a work around. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Well guys never say never, I did this on a Nissan Leaf when the dealer said it couldn’t be done. No programming needed. I already have the charging port with ccs port and the junction block which has all the relays inside. I’m still studying the diagram but will be installing soon. I bought a 2017 bolt with 9350 miles for 26,000. They wanted 39,000 for a new 2019 with ccs, with this savings I can afford to added, so far I have spent 352.00 for port with ccs plug and wires to hook up to junction block and 578.50 for the junction block this prices include shipping and are all new. I’ll keep everyone updated to process and will make a video also. I hate it when people say it can’t be done, it’s all possible and the cost it’s unknown so it can cost 1000 to 5000 we will see!!
I have a hobbled bolt, no DC charge. I had to order it that way. And no regrets as I don't need it. But I think what you're doing is great and I wish you luck. In my state, there isn't much DC high speed for me, and none on my routes. I took delivery yesterday. Went to the super market, 18 LVL 2 chargers in the parking structure. 3 stations of 6 and each station has 2 chargers for the little boys and 4 for Tesla's. The chargers are free and it was pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a hobbled bolt, no DC charge. I had to order it that way. And no regrets as I don't need it. But I think what you're doing is great and I wish you luck. In my state, there isn't much DC high speed for me, and none on my routes. I took delivery yesterday. Went to the super market, 18 LVL 2 chargers in the parking structure. 3 stations of 6 and each station has 2 chargers for the little boys and 4 for Tesla's. The chargers are free and it was pretty cool.
Just my personal opinion, but I'd have a severe case of FOMO if faced with that choice. The charging infrastructure is in no way static. While there isn't DCFC deployments in your area right now, the status in 6 months, a year, or two years could be completely different than it is now. In the future there may be a ton of missed opportunities based on choices made given the current landscape.

Personally I made my choice, a Fiat 500e, based strictly on price. But after a year of ownership, there are a few occasions where DCFC would have been helpful. If I had to make the choice again and be somewhat close to the $10K choice I made before, I would seriously consider a Chevy Spark EV or a BMW i3 REx specifically because both have DCFC ports.

This is a case where having and not needing is much better than needing and not having, IMHO.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
643 Posts
BTW the warranty I'm referring to is the drive train/battery warranty - not the standard 4 year/50,000 mile warranty - battery is warrantied for 8 years - I'd hate to see a battery failure in year 7 and have it declined because of an unauthorized modification...but hey it's your money.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I'd have a severe case of FOMO [if I skipped having a DCFC port]
Once I realized you said “FOMO” (“Fear of Missing Out”) and not MOFO, I agree. >:)

But it's very clear that opinions differ. I think hobbling a Bolt is verges on a crime against automotive kind, but others think a Bolt is like a 2012 Leaf, barely capable of puttering around a small village—driving it for more than ten minutes will surely cause back problems from the horrible seats, deafness from the road noise, a headache from looking at the hard plastic in the interior, and take the battery away from the 67.392% sweet spot, causing devastatingly bad (but undetectable) future degradation.

In other words, it takes all sorts to make a world.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Once I realized you said “FOMO” (“Fear of Missing Out”) and not MOFO, I agree. >:)

But it's very clear that opinions differ. I think hobbling a Bolt is verges on a crime against automotive kind, but others think a Bolt is like a 2012 Leaf, barely capable of puttering around a small village—driving it for more than ten minutes will surely cause back problems from the horrible seats, deafness from the road noise, a headache from looking at the hard plastic in the interior, and take the battery away from the 67.392% sweet spot, causing devastatingly bad (but undetectable) future degradation.

In other words, it takes all sorts to make a world.
Exactly. The Bolt for me is a second car. I'm definitely a criminal in your eyes, a point you've made more dramatic than a Real Housewives of Beverly Hills episode. Based on your posts, it's something you excel at. I just don't see using the DC option. I saved $800 by not getting it. I'm saving even more by planning my 60 mile daily round trip commute in my Bolt smartly by charging it nightly to 100%. I wear earplugs so I won't get deaf, I love the interior and am a huge fan of plastic but that's because I own stock in petroleum companies. I plan on getting rid of it in 3 or 4 years, I retire at 53 so I'm going to travel and yes, long road trips in the Bolt is bat **** crazy. It's not a Tesla. I've talked to 20 people on this forum and like I've said before, all but 2 hadn't used the option, ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BTW the warranty I'm referring to is the drive train/battery warranty - not the standard 4 year/50,000 mile warranty - battery is warrantied for 8 years - I'd hate to see a battery failure in year 7 and have it declined because of an unauthorized modification...but hey it's your money.
You could always un-install it, before going in for a warranty claim.
If it is done right, with all factory parts, it's unlikely to be noticed.
Hoping this upgrade gets figured out.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I'd have a severe case of FOMO if faced with that choice. The charging infrastructure is in no way static. While there isn't DCFC deployments in your area right now, the status in 6 months, a year, or two years could be completely different than it is now. In the future there may be a ton of missed opportunities based on choices made given the current landscape.

Personally I made my choice, a Fiat 500e, based strictly on price. But after a year of ownership, there are a few occasions where DCFC would have been helpful. If I had to make the choice again and be somewhat close to the $10K choice I made before, I would seriously consider a Chevy Spark EV or a BMW i3 REx specifically because both have DCFC ports.

This is a case where having and not needing is much better than needing and not having, IMHO.

ga2500ev
I don't see the DC infrastructure in Wisconsin going anywhere in the next 5 years. There isn't one now. I have the Bolt as a second car, I don't travel far. It's a vehicle more suited for commuting in my opinion. I saved $800. It's an option, not standard equipment.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts