Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried this yet? it looks like the signals front and back use a WY21W bulb. the manual says the rear ones can be accessed by reaching under the bumper, and that seems to be true. does anyone know how to access the front signals? it looks like you may need to take out the upper grill to get to them...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As far as I know, nobody has changed out their signal lights for LEDs yet. Someone was thinking of doing that for the headlights, but not sure if they went through with it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure, but LED bulbs are expensive. gotta get those margins from somewhere.

the problem is, you'd likely not save any power by installing LEDs in the turn signals. first, because signals aren't on all that much, and second, because you'd probably have to install a load resistor in parallel with the bulb so that that the car doesn't throw an error and so that the signal flashes the way it's supposed to. these, for example, come with the resistors.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
The application of LED lighting in cars is most of the time cosmetic only. People like LED lighting just because it looks cool. Other than the daylight running lamps and taillights, the energy savings on the other lights is very, very minimal. On the flip side, the incandescent bulbs are a whole lot cheaper, more reliable and most of the time, easier to replace as most manufacturers prefer to make a dedicated LED light fixture rather than just an LED bulb in a traditional socket.

Having said that, from a marketing perspective Chevy should have made greater use of LEDs IMO for the "wow" factor and to reinforce the concept of energy conservation. I understand why they did not though. They had a price point to hit and they want to eek out as much profit as possible, or even just minimize their losses on each Bolt sold.

As others have started to do, if you really want the LED look, these bulbs all can be changed for aftermarket LEDs and superbrightleds.com is a good source for them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
has anyone tried this yet? it looks like the signals front and back use a WY21W bulb. the manual says the rear ones can be accessed by reaching under the bumper, and that seems to be true. does anyone know how to access the front signals? it looks like you may need to take out the upper grill to get to them...
I have replaced both rear turn signals with LED bulbs. I hate it when a bulb goes and I have to drop everything to replace it. It always seems to happen at the worst possible time when I am far too busy to deal with it.

I included load resistors and they work great. They should now last the life of my Bolt. I plan on replacing the fronts ones too, but haven't yet ordered the parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Doesn't the turn signal bulbs and back-up light bulbs run off the 12 volt battery?
Also sometimes it gets really foggy around Grants Pass in the winter. Chevy should make the lower left rear break light also work as a red fog light, and use one of the blank switches under the 10" display to turn it on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have replaced both rear turn signals with LED bulbs. I hate it when a bulb goes and I have to drop everything to replace it. It always seems to happen at the worst possible time when I am far too busy to deal with it.

I included load resistors and they work great. They should now last the life of my Bolt. I plan on replacing the fronts ones too, but haven't yet ordered the parts.
any pics of the install? where did you end up mounting the resistors? and what brand did you use?

·
Registered
67 Posts
any pics of the install? where did you end up mounting the resistors? and what brand did you use?
I used these bulbs:

https://www.amazon.ca/TUINCYN-2-Pack-7440NA-Backup-Reverse/dp/B071ZDNZNW

...and these load resistors:

https://www.amazon.ca/TUINCYN-2pcs-7440-7440NA-Resistors/dp/B072QCFQLL

I left the load resistors dangling as they are not touching anything heat sensitive. They are pretty lightweight. I did, however use zip ties on the wires to prevent them from moving. I will shortly post a photo of the installation.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Slightly OT, I was really shocked when I found all the interior lights on the Bolt were incandecent. On my old 2017 Volt, they were all LED except for the rear cargo hatch. I swapped that one out for an LED and forgot to take it back so whoever got my Volt got a free LED upgrade. I'd buy another to install in my Bolt but then I'd have to do all lights unlike the Volt which just needed the one cargo light upgrade to LED.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I swapped out the turn and reverse signals for LED ones. I feel that the instant on/off look of the LED turn signals really complements the other exterior lighting treatment on the car.

For the front turn signals, to access them I had to turn the front wheel out of the way, and then unscrew the 4 bolts that were holding the wheelwell liner in place. After you remove the bolts you can peel the liner back, which should give you just barely enough room to change out the bulb and connect up the load resisters.

The rear lights are more of a pain. They are so deep up the car I had to lie on my back to be able to comfortably access them. For the turn signal bulbs I used a run of the mill 4 watt Chinese made amber LED off Amazon. There are many other higher wattage options that IMO are way too bright and will annoy/blind other drivers especially at night. The 4 watt one is already quite a bit brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs.

For the reverse lights I used the 921 LED from Philips. They are about the same brightness as stock, but are a white color with color temperature about the same as the LED DRLs. Again there are many other brighter options, but I didn't want to blind other drivers with them.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get some time, but there are plenty of pictures on Amazon/youtube for you to check out how they look.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I swapped out the turn and reverse signals for LED ones. I feel that the instant on/off look of the LED turn signals really complements the other exterior lighting treatment on the car.
thanks for the update. i'm more interested in where/how you ended up mounting the load resistors - i have a pretty good idea what the LEDs are going to look like :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks for the update. i'm more interested in where/how you ended up mounting the load resistors - i have a pretty good idea what the LEDs are going to look like :)
I actually only did the driver side for the turn signals because I only bought 2 bulbs to try them out. For the front, I mounted the resister to the black metal piece that a grey circular device is attached to. I used plastic zip ties to secure the wires coming out of the ends of the resister to the metal piece. Don't zip tie over the resister itself since it gets really hot and might melt the zip tie. If you wanted to be safer, you could try to screw the resister onto the car colored metal body but it will probably be more of a pain since there is so little room and you will be trying to screw into metal. Alternatively you could sand the metal car body and the resister, then apply some JB Weld compound to permanently glue to resister onto the car metal body. I felt the zip tie approach is probably good enough so went with that.

For the back side, the wires on my resister was not long enough to reach the large rectangular bare metal bumper support. So I ended up zip-tying the wires on the ends of the resister to a hole on the car body on one side and a sturdy wiring loom on the other, so the resister kind suspends in the air.

I'll be doing the passenger side when the other 2 bulbs arrive, but I don't imagine them being much too different compared to the driver side.

Also, the car does not seem to care about LEDs in reverse lights, but the light socket on those is tight as ****. My fingers still hurt from twisting those suckers off and back on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the idea of not having to deal with resistors is pretty tempting.
I wouldn't use those. According to the link it says the thing draws 21 watts so the car won't think the bulb is out. 21 watts actually results in a lot of heat, it will probably be ridiculously bright and put out an unsafe amount of light, before melting itself and making a mess in your housing. IMO the only good option is to use a low wattage LED with resisters if you want to do this. But hey it's your car so feel free to experiment and let us know :)

P.S.
I see that the link says the output is 2800 lumens. That is probably BS since I doubt it will be that bright, but my guess is it will still be way too bright to be not glaring for other drivers. For reference your stock 35W HID outputs roughly 3200 lumens.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my guess is that's the total draw, not the amount that's getting turned into light. they basically just have an integrated load resistor. you mentioned that your load resistors get very warm - same thing. although i'm a little surprised that they do get warm, the signals aren't really on all that long under normal conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just try touching the stock incandescent bulb after it's been blinking for a few seconds, it gets plenty hot. Assuming the 21 Watt LED is 50% efficient(it's not), you still have to deal with 10 Watts of heat. If they put a resistor inside to draw 21 Watts total the heat will be even worse since resistor converts electricity to heat directly. It's not rare to have the turn signals on for a few minutes, and in hazard conditions you might have them on for who knows how long. That heat is going to melt the LED assembly. I personally don't want to worry whether my turn signal is going to melt every time I turn them on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think if people's turn signals were melting, they would be vocal about it, and not many more would be sold.

·
Registered
671 Posts
On my i-MiEV I did this to turn and brake lights.
Didn't make that much of a brightness difference EXCEPT the cyclopes brake. I left one old and 3 new LED. The Old was Brighter ! I just left it at that point.
I don't think I will play with the lights anymore after that.
Interior lights are bright on the Bolt so no real issues there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts