Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in the Upstate NY DC fast charging infrastructure here is where we are at:

Couple of locations now open at welcome centers
Grand Island
Southern Tier Welcome Center

EA has opened one in Fredonia with another close behind in Buffalo

RG&E is working on one in Rochester

No sign of action yet from the state, several old PR announcements with commitments to install one at every thruway rest area
January 8, 2017 https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-8th-proposal-2017-state-state-install-over-500-new-charging-stations
May 8th 2018 https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-42-million-expansion-high-speed-electric-vehicle-charging-stations

And just yesterday another a more comprehensive NYPA press release detailing build out over the next 2 years.
https://www.nypa.gov/innovation/programs/evolveny

My holiday wish for this season is for fewer press releases and more DC fast charger construction from our state.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I join you in your wish!

For new readers, don't forget Mohawk Valley, while "existing" is CHAdeMO only, so no/go (at least for now) for BOLT CCS .

·
Registered
786 Posts
As a born New Yorker (in Manhattan, NYC) who has visited upstate as a child several times*, I like that the Stat is doing its job to electrify its roads. I believe New Yorkers who own EVs should be writing to Gov Cuomo to improve this.

* My mother took us to Bear Mountain many times in the summer during the late 1950s. My uncle had a cabin near Albany.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
One of the maps in the EA Cycle 2 info is of Upstate NY.

It now appears to show the accurate locations of the now opened Cycle 1 stations on 90.

The disappointing observation is that no stations are indicated in Rochester or Syracuse, but a new location is marked seemingly at the Route 14 interchange with I-90.

The other Cycle 1 station on 90 appears to be the Herkimer, NY Walmart

The Albany location is already posted on PlugShare as "coming soon"
Looking at your map:

… we can see that Syracuse is at the top of the “I-476/I-81 Philadelphia to Syracuse” regional route that is going to be supported by the Cycle-2 network. It's possible that one of the new stations on this route might be located in Syracuse. That said, there are only about two stations planned for this route.

Somewhat annoyingly, they've shown the route they'll be supporting, but this time around they're not showing where they plan to put the stations.

I'd recommend that you make a submission to say that it would help EV development in this area of Syracuse had support (e.g., by using some of the Philadelphia MSA money to fund the bottom end of the I-476/I-81 to leave more stations to place at the top.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Added one more submission for MN:

(asking for adds in the South sections of the state on major interstates/highways)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, and just read through this thread. I drive a Bolt and live in Syracuse. Here's a few things I've dug up about infrastructure in upstate NY.

The EA station is Herkimer is at the Denny's, not the WalMart. The site started construction in December, and is practically finished. It appears to be only waiting on the grid connection before going live.

Also, EA has cycle 1 plans for Syracuse, somewhere near the intersection of I-90 and I-481. I've been scouting the area, and have seen no signs of construction yet. I assume they have picked a location and will begin construction once spring arrives. Cycle 2 will not add an EA station in Syracuse, but will add two between Syracuse and Philly. That's a span of about 250 miles. I expect them to be spaced about 80-100 miles apart. Which means technically they both may end up in Pennsylvania.

There is also an Adirondack Welcome Center in Lake George with two 100A QCs. It is accessible from I-87 northbound.

Infrastructure is starting to accelerate, which is exciting to see after many years of nothing!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks, wonderbolt. I added the location per your request. I don't know why it wasn't already there - I have known about it since December. I never bothered to add it, I guess noone else did either. The picture is one I took back in January.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That map location is about 4 miles west of the Waterloo Premium Outlets mall, a Simon property abutting the New York Thruway. That'd fit with EA's real estate deals and retail-oriented location choices. It's just about halfway between their planned Herkimer and operating Cheektowaga locations; ~100 miles, but not range-stretching for their planned vehicles.
I just called WPO and our hunch was correct. They indicated that construction has not yet started and they did not yet have any outlook in terms of expected availability. They did mention that the DCFC stations would be easily visible from the main entrance.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.... EA has cycle 1 plans for Syracuse, somewhere near the intersection of I-90 and I-481. I've been scouting the area, and have seen no signs of construction yet. I assume they have picked a location and will begin construction once spring arrives.
OK the original EA cycle 1 map showing both Rochester and Syracuse, and then the new Cycle 1 map released with the Cycle 2 plan are attached. Just confirmed today that the Waterloo Premium Outlets is indeed the green dot on the second map. https://goo.gl/maps/Ns9GRuHPrtC2

I know the Rochester location is not shown on the second map and I know it was canceled, I now assume the Syracuse location was also canceled. I believe the new map represents the current plan.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 131 Posts