Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bolt owner from Albany here. Enjoying this thread. Like everyone else I'm (impatiently) waiting for NY to install some DCFCs around the Syracuse area. I took a trip from Albany to Toronto last year, which took about 10 hours on account of having to spend entirely too much time at the Carousel Mall and their L2 chargers. Throwing in a few DCFCs around Binghamton wouldn't hurt either. I realize the chargers at the Southern Tier Welcome Center are nice, but those are a bit out of the way if you want to travel somewhere west of Binghamton (say, Owego or Elmira).

Maybe 2019 is our year?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bolt owner from Albany here. Enjoying this thread. Like everyone else I'm (impatiently) waiting for NY to install some DCFCs around the Syracuse area. I took a trip from Albany to Toronto last year, which took about 10 hours on account of having to spend entirely too much time at the Carousel Mall and their L2 chargers. Throwing in a few DCFCs around Binghamton wouldn't hurt either. I realize the chargers at the Southern Tier Welcome Center are nice, but those are a bit out of the way if you want to travel somewhere west of Binghamton (say, Owego or Elmira).

Maybe 2019 is our year?
Not sure if NYS will get anything added in Upstate in 2019, but looking at the progress EA is making I think that trip would be much easier this coming July, fingers crossed. Agreed on the Southern Tier Welcome Center, EA shows more DCFC as part of cycle 2 plans north on 81. Also, IMHO they need to allow EV drivers to use the utility vehicle turnarounds before and after the welcome center to allow charger access without going way out of your way if you are southbound.

Welcome to the thread, thanks for adding your support!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Was anything definitive announced?
Not that I read yet, the article just spoke to the show having participation from manufacturers, DCFC suppliers, and NYS programs (EVolveNY, Charge NY, NYPA, etc...) but the public portion opened yesterday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not really "upstate" (unless you are from NYC), but does anyone know the status of the Newburgh EA? I travel downstate a lot, and could make use of that one.
Now I feel bad for not checking on our way through this past weekend! Needed to maximize efficiency to make it between Bloomsburg, PA (EA) and Carmel, NY (EVgo) and I was pretty much done with Electrify America for the day after session failures at two locations.

If it's any help, they seem to turn around these Walmart locations pretty quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Newburgh up and running by mid-late May, especially now that the weather is getting better.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For what it's worth, the last time I checked it out (early March), there were no signs of construction at all. I probably won't be down there again until June anyway, hopefully it will be on by then. If not, I'll just keep doing the trip the way I have been.

The Carmel EVGo is probably the charger I hit most often. I have family in Carmel, and often hit the Starbucks while I'm there. Since they only have L1 at their house, I usually charge the car up while enjoying my coffee.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Carmel was probably the best of the four charging stops we made from Ohio to Massachusetts. There were many options there to eat, as you say, as well as the grocery store for snacks. But Newburgh would be a more natural stop and wouldn't be pushing the limits of range in winter (at least along the West to East route. Either way, it's good to have options and redundancy added to these key routes.

Speaking of which, Electrify America just announced another nine partners for fast charge sites in NY, MA, and five other states. These are:

- Kroger (grocery)
- Save Mart Companies (grocery)
- Federal Realty Investment Trust (realty)
- Fulcrum Property (realty)
- ShopCore Properties (realty)
- ValueRock Realty Partners (realty)
- The Macerich Company (realty)
- Washington Prime Group (realty)
- Pan-Cal Corporation (realty)

Don't know much about any of these except Kroger, but it makes sense that they need more partnerships. Cycle 1 finishes up in June and they still have around one-third of the 484 sites to announced (a little under 1/3 are currently live, with a little more than 1/3 identified but still "coming soon"/under construction).

Meanwhile, NYPA is tweeting a lot about EVolveNY but I'm not seeing much in the way of concrete plans. For all their software glitches and growing pains, at least Electrify America is getting units in the ground.

·
Registered
325 Posts
NYPA's press releases and website updates make me want to pull my hair out. It seems every time they update the website, the scope has been reduced (fewer chargers) and the schedule has been pushed out. If they keep up this pattern, eventually their plan will be to install 0 chargers and do it by the end of the world.

Any updates on the RG&E location in Rochester? Last update, they were planning on an opening ceremony by the end of April. Here we are at 4/26, and no word yet as far as I can tell. I was really hoping to use that site in May for a day trip to Rochester. It's just under 200 miles, and I'd like to take the Thruway and arrive home with a little buffer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Any updates on the RG&E location in Rochester? Last update, they were planning on an opening ceremony by the end of April. Here we are at 4/26, and no word yet as far as I can tell. I was really hoping to use that site in May for a day trip to Rochester. It's just under 200 miles, and I'd like to take the Thruway and arrive home with a little buffer.
I have a friend that drives ride share with a Bolt, and he is frequently at the Rochester Airport, very close to that location. He checked two days ago and it is still not up and running, when he waves his chargepoint card at the card reader it says "verboten", yeah it is a Tritium charger and apparently it was configured for German ;-)

I have tried contacting the project lead for it at Avangrid, parent company of RG&E, and have not yet heard back. If I do I will post any updates he is able to share...

Just after posting I received a callback from the Rochester site project manager. Nothing technical holding up the launch, they are waiting on regulatory approval which has proceeded slower than hoped. They don't currently have a definitive date they expect it to be resolved, thus are reluctant to provide a guess. They had been very hopeful that they would have already resolved regulatory issues and then been able to do a launch event in celebration of Earth Day.

The project manager did share that while not yet fully approved, they anticipate the cost to be 10c/min.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow, your friend will get a lot of use out of that charger! That's a great location for a ride share driver.

So the holdup is regulatory approval. Figures. NYS talks the talk about being a "leader" in EVs. But we have so much red tape that we can't even open a charger when the state has helped fund it? Just sad.

10c/min is an incredible deal! EVGo and EA are 30c and 35c respectively (although EA could provide much higher power if your car can take it).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not exactly an update, but I posted a video of our recent road trip from Boston, MA to Cleveland, OH that includes stops to check out the Herkimer, Waterloo, and Erie Electrify America "coming soon" sites: https://youtu.be/DD3qlrVuQEU

Of the three, I think that we'll end up using Waterloo the most. It's a little further off the Thruway but there's much more to do than Herkimer (just a Denny's and Red Roof Inn) and will provide the boost we would need to quickly move on to either Erie or Fredonia, both of which are Walmarts.

Made me ponder the dynamics of charge stops and the importance of amenities nearby... I'd stop for a quick top-up in Herkimer, for example, but would probably stay in the car. In contrast, I'd probably plan a longer stay at Waterloo to do some shopping, for example on our Christmas trips over to Ohio.

Overall, it looks promising for the summer. I also notice that David has been providing updates on the RG&E ChargePoint site in Rochester. Sounds like it's all red tape at the moment, which is disappointing but hopefully means they can go live right away once the paper pushers have their say :nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
325 Posts
This image of Herkimer was shared on facebook on May 7th:

So it looks like Herkimer is connected. It is probably waiting for inspection before they turn it on.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
@Ste thanks for the video and for posting it to this thread, I just watched it and came here to share the link, you beat me to it 🙂. I hear you regarding changing location amenities, I am just impressed that you already make it work, kids and all, with the EA stations you checked on during this trip not yet in service.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts