Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. It was a labor of love but the kiddos actually made it much more fun... they help with the "play" aspect of Plug & Play EV for sure!

In other almost NY news, I noticed that EA added a new "coming soon" site in Pompton Plains, NJ, primarily serving I-287 by the looks of it. I really hoped to see something closer to the border, perhaps Port Jervis, NY, as the distance between Newburgh and Bloomsburg will be a bit of a stretch in winter.

I suppose this serves the Tri-state area a bit better, though, and perhaps we'll see the final sites of Cycle 1 add to the rapidly expanding options in this area. And, yes, the folks at NYPA really need to pull their finger out now...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Memorial Day weekend, start of the Summer driving season, all Upstate stations look very close but not yet open. Just checked and the EA app announced a few weeks ago is not yet available to install, hopefully they release the app and activate the stations along 90 very soon, safe holiday travels to all on the road this weekend

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good stuff, thanks. They've made a solid start with the welcome centers, I think, but they primarily help visitors. Those already in the state, especially the central upstate cities, really need to be a priority now. Electrify America will help a little but Syracuse and Rochester metro areas both need some love as well. Hopefully, NYPA will give us some sites to watch like hawks soon... :nerd::nerd:

In terms of EA, I'm surprised how long Herkimer is taking in particular. The recent signs of power company activity offer reason for summer travel optimism though.

I'm also thinking their app will be launched in the next few days... there have been several posts to their social media accounts about it and it was announced early May, so I don't think they'll want it to slip into next month. I'm looking forward to testing it out, but mostly for the price reductions as we head out on several road trips this summer!

·
Registered
341 Posts
It looks like EA stations at both Fredonia and Cheektowaga are out of order now. And we are still waiting on the others to open. What is so different about upstate NY that makes our chargers take forever to come online and then so unreliable once they do? It seems EA stations in neighboring states don't have this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It looks like EA stations at both Fredonia and Cheektowaga are out of order now. And we are still waiting on the others to open. What is so different about upstate NY that makes our chargers take forever to come online and then so unreliable once they do? It seems EA stations in neighboring states don't have this problem.

Sad that it looks like we are regressing. Waterloo, where are you?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks for that link and the explanation, I had noted that about Buffalo and was wondering what was going on with the chargers

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
In regards to the delayed opening of some of the DCFC in upstate NY, I am being told that the recently approved reduced electrical supply cost rate for DCFC is holding up at least one, potentially most, of the new DCFC stations from coming on-line in NY. It is not clear to me exactly why this must be resolved before lighting them up, as others are already operational in NY, but maybe the date they go live determines if they are eligible for the reduced rate.

If anyone has any insight or can clarify, please educate me, I was just recently provided this case as the reason...

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?Mattercaseno=18-00561

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/Common/ViewDoc.aspx?DocRefId={4430C75A-64F6-4E0C-B338-60C8D7F091F5}

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
According to item #74 (ChargePoint's response to Tesla's Petition...):

"ChargePoint supports the Petition for Rehearing because the New York
State Public Service Commission’s (the “Commission”) February 7, 2019 Order Establishing the
Framework for Direct Current Fast Charging Infrastructure Program (the “Order”) suffers from
errors of law and fact that cause the Order to be unnecessarily discriminatory. Not only does the
Order explicitly discriminate against Tesla, it also discriminates against participants in the
electric vehicle (“EV”) charging supply equipment market, such as ChargePoint, because it
created an arbitrary two-tiered incentive system that victimizes already-existing EV charging
infrastructure.
"

·
Registered
341 Posts
A new press release was added to the page yesterday.

"While the Commission denied Tesla's request that their proprietary charging technology alone be eligible for the incentives, Tesla may receive these incentives if a standardized plug is co-located at the same site."

This could potentially be huge! Just imagine if Tesla were incentivized to provide even one CCS plug per supercharging site in the state!

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?Mattercaseno=18-00561

·
Registered
735 Posts
A new press release was added to the page yesterday. "While the Commission denied Tesla's request that their proprietary charging technology alone be eligible for the incentives, Tesla may receive these incentives if a standardized plug is co-located at the same site." This could potentially be huge! Just imagine if Tesla were incentivized to provide even one CCS plug per supercharging site in the state! http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?Mattercaseno=18-00561
Thanks for this information. You are right, this would be a breakthrough for all EV drivers. Every gas station in the country can serve gas to any vehicle because of a standardized nozzle. So, indeed, should there be standardized plugs for all EVs. Tesla popularized and publicized EVs, but a proprietary plug cannot stand the test of time. This is going in a good direction.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A new press release was added to the page yesterday.

"While the Commission denied Tesla's request that their proprietary charging technology alone be eligible for the incentives, Tesla may receive these incentives if a standardized plug is co-located at the same site."

This could potentially be huge! Just imagine if Tesla were incentivized to provide even one CCS plug per supercharging site in the state!

It's not really a stretch to imagine this actually happening and it would be great if only for the locations and density. One charger per location is better than nothing but they currently are required in some jurisdictions already to install a non-proprietary charger to get the permit, but it's always been a J1772. That could be just to satisfy the code/zoning with the least additional expense or it may be an infrastructure decision. One more DCFC takes away one supercharger plug.
So, it may not be a CCS and if it were a DCFC, they may opt for the Chademo as Tesla now sells (sold out currently) a chademo adapter for all their cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another update today, this time an "order" document which elaborates on yesterday's press release.

"Regarding the assertion that the Commission’s DCFC
incentive program results in a harm to existing owners and
operators of charging stations, the Commission rejects these
claims. For example, ChargePoint claims that the incentive
program “victimizes already-existing EV charging infrastructure”
and is an error of law. As the Commission clearly stated in the
DCFC Program Order, while existing infrastructure has great
value in promoting EV adoption, the Commission declines to
retroactively incent those developers
."

I'm thinking more and more that this legislation is what is holding up new DCFC installations in NYS. I'm no longer going to be watching the stations, but following this legislation.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I'm thinking more and more that this legislation is what is holding up new DCFC installations in NYS. I'm no longer going to be watching the stations, but following this legislation.
I agree, from what you have posted, what I have read of the various documents, and the fact that Erie PA went live already, Erie started construction a few weeks after Waterloo and with Herkimer already completed.

So both NY stations that were done are still dark, and as far as I know no DCFC station has gone live since the NY DCFC electric incentive was announced in February.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree, from what you have posted, what I have read of the various documents, and the fact that Erie PA went live already, Erie started construction a few weeks after Waterloo and with Herkimer already completed.

So both NY stations that were done are still dark, and as far as I know no DCFC station has gone live since the NY DCFC electric incentive was announced in February.
Minor correction - there are three NY stations that appear to be complete yet are still dark - Waterloo, Herkimer, and Albany. The other station, in Newburgh, seems to not yet be in the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The EA sites at Waterloo, Herkimer and Albany were on PlugShare but now they are gone. I don’t know what the hold up is but this is infuriating I bought this EV almost two years ago and I still can’t drive West! And you would think the tourist industry in the Adirondacks would want to welcome EVs too! Fast charging is essential for EV travel but obviously they didn’t mind us buying these things but they don’t care what we do now. I drove to Florida last year but I can’t drive to Buffalo! Those of you in Rochester and Syracuse do know that you are living in the automotive dark age?

61 - 80 of 128 Posts