Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
The EA sites at Waterloo, Herkimer and Albany were on PlugShare but now they are gone. I don’t know what the hold up is but this is infuriating I bought this EV almost two years ago and I still can’t drive West! And you would think the tourist industry in the Adirondacks would want to welcome EVs too! Fast charging is essential for EV travel but obviously they didn’t mind us buying these things but they don’t care what we do now. I drove to Florida last year but I can’t drive to Buffalo! Those of you in Rochester and Syracuse do know that you are living in the automotive dark age?
Waterloo, Herkimer, and Albany still appear on PlugShare to me. Maybe you have a filter set wrong? For example, you can filter by minimum score or to ignore "coming soon" locations.

I share your frustration, and yes I realize upstate NY is in the EV dark ages. What few DCFCs we had (e.g. on the Thruway) are quickly falling into disrepair. NYS, and Emporer Cuomo have announced all sorts of money and plans to build out infrastructure for EVs, but very little is happening.

I don't know if the pending PSC incentives are holding back all new development, or it's just NYS' bureaucracy's business as usual. I wish I had some insight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Waterloo, Herkimer, and Albany still appear on PlugShare to me. Maybe you have a filter set wrong? For example, you can filter by minimum score or to ignore "coming soon" locations.

I share your frustration, and yes I realize upstate NY is in the EV dark ages. What few DCFCs we had (e.g. on the Thruway) are quickly falling into disrepair. NYS, and Emporer Cuomo have announced all sorts of money and plans to build out infrastructure for EVs, but very little is happening.

I don't know if the pending PSC incentives are holding back all new development, or it's just NYS' bureaucracy's business as usual. I wish I had some insight.

I was trying to get some info out of EA yesterday on Twitter, and failed. Same BS about "it's coming".

https://twitter.com/ElectrifyAm/status/1150102687595339779

Maybe you can chime in?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I was trying to get so info out of EA yesterday on Twitter, and failed. Same BS about "it's coming".

Maybe you can chime in?
We have the same situation with several EA sites in Virginia. My guess is they won't be opening them until they have a fix for the cable cooling problem. The sites around here that were live are throttled back to allow running without the cooling.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
The biggest problem for 99.9% of drivers today is that the Gas Buddy site seems to have crashed. How will they find the cheapest gas?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was trying to get so info out of EA yesterday on Twitter, and failed. Same BS about "it's coming".

Maybe you can chime in?
Sorry. I have thus far successfully avoided Twitter. I don't intend to join just to poke EA with a question they will certainly not answer. FWIW, I have asked the same thing on their Facebook page and gotten the same response, almost verbatim.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is very exciting - it's finally starting to happen!

Waterloo is the 3rd most important EA station for me. I'm still waiting on #1 (Herkimer), and #2 (Albany - although at least there are EVGos around). Albany to Buffalo is now much more doable in a Bolt. It's still a stretch getting the 175 miles from Albany (EVGo in Guilderland) to Waterloo though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A new press release was added to the page yesterday.

"While the Commission denied Tesla's request that their proprietary charging technology alone be eligible for the incentives, Tesla may receive these incentives if a standardized plug is co-located at the same site."

This could potentially be huge! Just imagine if Tesla were incentivized to provide even one CCS plug per supercharging site in the state!

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?Mattercaseno=18-00561
Here's an example of how Tesla complies with these statutes. This one is in Las Vegas.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/tesla-v3-supercharger-station-las-vegas-solar-power-battery/

It's the newer V3 supercharger that has a charge rate of 250 kW which is about 75 miles in 5 minutes but it has 24 V3 stalls, solar canopy, and battery storage.
But it also has 15 level 2 destination chargers. Just using the superchargers, it can handle 1,500 cars a day.
It gets better, the entire thing costs just over a million bucks. If I'm not mistaken, a hydrogen refueling station that can refuel a handful of cars costs around $2,000,000. If they can refuel 4 at a time and it takes 10 minutes to recharge for a total of 4/hour/station, that would be 16 x 24 or 384 cars/day. So about 1/4 of the capacity for twice as much plus the cost of the hydrogen works out to $.21/mile whereas the superchargers are about 6 cents/mile.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Here's an example of how Tesla complies with these statutes. ....
I think we're talking apples and oranges here, while the Las Vegas site is a great accomplishment, it doesn't address the primary concern of New York that Tesla's infrastructure is a "walled garden" and there's no particular reason that Tesla should be entitled to the DC fast charging incentives introduced in NY to add additional publicly available DC fast-charge infrastructure, unless they add the SAE standard CCS and make it available to all.

Not free, just available. In my opinion Tesla is more than welcome to charge a higher rate for non Tesla vehicles. Seems very fair to help Tesla recoup their initial capital investment.

I think the resolution New York State proposed to Tesla is very reasonable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
https://imgur.com/a/T36xwAO

A friend who lives near Herkimer just shared this picture. He is over there chatting with the technician doing the work. The tech claims it should be open by Saturday. Here's hoping!

Wish I'd checked the forum here before we left on Friday... drove past Herkimer yesterday and would have stopped in to test. Looks like a Tesla Model S owner, of all people, did so already and got a successful charge on the CHAdeMO plug. None on the CCS yet but it looks like the gap is fully bridged, with the minor exception of Albany (which I always count as "safe" territory on the way back to Boston, thanks to the many EVgo locations.

Not sure it's representative but we did get a successful charge at the Waterloo location yesterday. Unfortunately, it was in the sweltering heat, and with the other power reduction issue in place, we only managed a pitiful 20kW rate. Thankfully we had shopping to do anyway and needed lunch, so the extended charge wasn't an issue, but I couldn't test performance in normal conditions.

Made Waterloo to Guilderland with 84% SOC, 70mph, and A/C on the whole way, though, so proof that it's a viable route now as long as you're not driving like it's Formula-E.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts