Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
That all makes sense, thank you! It will be interesting if this takes off. I am all for stations which support all EVs and not just one make, even if that means three types of plugs (Tesla, CCS, CHAdeMO).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I am puzzled by your charging numbers though. If you were at less than 50% battery capacity then shouldn't your charge rate have been at least 50 kW? I am still new to the Bolt and really haven't needed to use DCFC much yet.
Some of the EA stations are currently experiencing issues with the liquid cooled cables and have therefore reduced the charge rate such that the cables do not overheat. Although the max power is reduced to 50 kW it is dependant on the voltage of the battery it is charging and the max current delivered.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
EA has been doing this ("partnering" w/ Tesla) in CA (the SF Bay area) for some time. At least one is already open, and several are under construction.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
EA has been doing this ("partnering" w/ Tesla) in CA (the SF Bay area) for some time. At least one is already open, and several are under construction.
Great to learn, I was not aware there was already a precedence for this in other states. I have not yet seen a EA site co-located with a Tesla site in the northeast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of the EA stations are currently experiencing issues with the liquid cooled cables and have therefore reduced the charge rate such that the cables do not overheat. Although the max power is reduced to 50 kW it is dependant on the voltage of the battery it is charging and the max current delivered.

Yes, the charger displayed a disclaimer before starting that the power was limited due to a technical problem.

Incidentally, I found some useful charging graphs showing different speeds by amperage elsewhere in these forums: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/some-time-to-charge-graphs-for-dcfc.30999/.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well the reliability of EA's new Efacec units is still struggling. The growing pains continue, although a txt exchange with a EA contractor provides a ray of hope. "EA's network reliability is now a top priority" A quick look at plugshare however will give you pause before heading out on a EV road trip and expecting them to be operational. This was the status from the EA app as of Nov 1st.

Screenshot_20191101-083706.png

The Evolve NY website still talks about stations coming on-line before the end of 2019.
"Interstate and Urban Fast Chargers: DC (direct current) fast chargers have the potential to charge electric cars in as little as 10 minutes for 200 miles of range. NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2019 "

See the section titled "Initial phase" Has anyone seen any activity installing units recently that I might have missed? I am assuming that date will be revised next time I check to say 202X.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Evolve NY is a bad joke. What happened to the hundreds of millions of dollars promised? Yeah, I don't know why I trusted the state in the first place.

And that EA map is terribly disappointing. I really hope they get their act together in the next couple of months. I'm really going to want Herkimer available for my Thanksgiving travels.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts