Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
That all makes sense, thank you! It will be interesting if this takes off. I am all for stations which support all EVs and not just one make, even if that means three types of plugs (Tesla, CCS, CHAdeMO).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I am puzzled by your charging numbers though. If you were at less than 50% battery capacity then shouldn't your charge rate have been at least 50 kW? I am still new to the Bolt and really haven't needed to use DCFC much yet.
Some of the EA stations are currently experiencing issues with the liquid cooled cables and have therefore reduced the charge rate such that the cables do not overheat. Although the max power is reduced to 50 kW it is dependant on the voltage of the battery it is charging and the max current delivered.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
EA has been doing this ("partnering" w/ Tesla) in CA (the SF Bay area) for some time. At least one is already open, and several are under construction.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
EA has been doing this ("partnering" w/ Tesla) in CA (the SF Bay area) for some time. At least one is already open, and several are under construction.
Great to learn, I was not aware there was already a precedence for this in other states. I have not yet seen a EA site co-located with a Tesla site in the northeast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of the EA stations are currently experiencing issues with the liquid cooled cables and have therefore reduced the charge rate such that the cables do not overheat. Although the max power is reduced to 50 kW it is dependant on the voltage of the battery it is charging and the max current delivered.

Yes, the charger displayed a disclaimer before starting that the power was limited due to a technical problem.

Incidentally, I found some useful charging graphs showing different speeds by amperage elsewhere in these forums: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/some-time-to-charge-graphs-for-dcfc.30999/.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well the reliability of EA's new Efacec units is still struggling. The growing pains continue, although a txt exchange with a EA contractor provides a ray of hope. "EA's network reliability is now a top priority" A quick look at plugshare however will give you pause before heading out on a EV road trip and expecting them to be operational. This was the status from the EA app as of Nov 1st.

Screenshot_20191101-083706.png

The Evolve NY website still talks about stations coming on-line before the end of 2019.
"Interstate and Urban Fast Chargers: DC (direct current) fast chargers have the potential to charge electric cars in as little as 10 minutes for 200 miles of range. NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2019 "

See the section titled "Initial phase" Has anyone seen any activity installing units recently that I might have missed? I am assuming that date will be revised next time I check to say 202X.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Evolve NY is a bad joke. What happened to the hundreds of millions of dollars promised? Yeah, I don't know why I trusted the state in the first place.

And that EA map is terribly disappointing. I really hope they get their act together in the next couple of months. I'm really going to want Herkimer available for my Thanksgiving travels.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
It has been just over a year since starting this thread so I thought I would provide a November 2019 update:

Couple of NY welcome centers seeing great use, I had to queue to charge this summer at the Grand island location with all three DCFC in use
Grand Island
Southern Tier Welcome Center

As of July 2019, EA has DCFC locations in Fredonia, Buffalo, Waterloo , Herkimer, and Albany The upstate NY locations all appear to utilize Efacec units which have so far proven to be very unreliable. We are very thankful that EA has put them in place, and we have reason for optimism as several plugshare posts over the start of the holiday travel period have been positive, and we do have recent news that EA is working on reliability.

Very disappointingly, as far as we can tell, RG&E reversed course and decided not to open the DCFC they installed to the public :-( They have not replied to any of my recent requests for information and marked both stations "RG&E only charging"

More disappointing however is that over the year following the press release, no sign of any DCFC progress in upstate NY yet, from Evolve NY

Regrettably, still no DCFC in the Rochester area, so my holiday wish for this season is the same as last year, fewer press releases and more DC fast charger construction from our state.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am whole-heartedly with you on that last point. Fortunately for me, both the Herkimer and Lake George DCFCs were functional over the Thanksgiving weekend. Together, they enabled me to travel from Syracuse to Burlington with little hassle (just a little extra waiting, thanks to the Bolt's slow DCFC rates which get even slower in cold weather).

I have given up hope on NYPA. I think the $250M promised for Evolve NY doesn't actually exist, and what little there might have been has since gone to line the pockets of corrupt politicians. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't see anything more than the handful of Welcome Centers and the terrible Greenlots chargers going in by our government.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For those following along "developments", Evolve NY has made a minor update to their page. Under "Initial phase", it used to read:

NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2019

Now it reads:
NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2020

So they pushed to the right. Huge surprise, right? Given that it is December, and they have not installed a single 150kW DCFC in the state. Who here thinks that 2020 will be the year? Yeah, me neither.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Evolve NY recently instituted a "quarterly webex status meeting" to solicit feedback from EV drivers, share the details of issues impacting the NY DCFC rollout, and provide a general status on the progress of installing the new stations. Notes from the initial call are below, please PM me with your name and email (Click my screen name and select "message") if you would like an invite to be added to the list of participants. Requesting an invite in no way obligates you to participate, join the call just to learn first hand from those working on implementation where things stand if you have the time. I will also try to add the notes from the call to this thread. I am still not holding my breath, but I do feel more optimistic that we should start to see some progress this spring after listing to the status call. The currently planned dates are:
  1. March 11, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:00
  2. June 10, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:00
  3. August 12, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:00
  4. December 9, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1. Introductions
  2. EVolve NY DCFC Updates
  3. Open Discussion
  4. Cadence for future conversations
EVolve NY Updates

• Goal of program is to encourage EV adoption to meet Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) goals.
  • Goals and status:
    • 50 sites operational or in final stages of construction by year end
    • 4 x 150 kW typical site: total of 200 ports
    • Some sites to support 350 kW
    • 7 sites currently in design or construction -- equipment received or in process
    • Long lead times for 150 kW units -- up to 20 weeks
    • 40 more sites in contract negotiation
    • JFK hub announced -- 10 x 150 kW -- starting construction now
    • In bid process for next 15 sites in the queue

Open Discussion

#1: Surprised you’re doing DCFC at airports…

EVolve NY: it’s taxis, rideshare, people picking up relatives.

#2: You said you have five sites ready to go. What’s on the I90 corridor?

Evolve NY: Yes, Rochester, Capital District, and a few more. We made the case to our board that Upstate NY is a ‘fast charging desert’ for non-Tesla drivers. Longer term, we also want urban charging hubs in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Yonkers, and Albany to serve apartment-dwellers, rideshare, and others.

#3: Suggestion from Buffalo: new Amtrak station downtown could be a great site.

EVolve NY: We’ll look into it.

#4: If the goal is 200 ports (50 sites) in 2020 and 800ports (200 sites) in 2025, does that include urban, thruway, and airports collectively?

EVolve NY: Yes. We are sensitive to the experience of ‘queuing’ so we are doing an average of four chargers at each site. EVolve NY will own/operate the chargers with the goal of accelerating adoption until private sector companies are ready to take over – not trying to crowd the market.

#5: Could you make the CHAdeMO chargers 100kW so the Tesla drivers could get more than the 50kW offered at EA sites? And would like to see 350kW at as many as possible so you don’t have to rebuild in a few years build for the cars of the future as much as possible.

EVolve NY: On CHAdeMO, the adapter itself may be the limiting factor. We’re also looking at an option to have a Tesla adapter on-site – we’ve seen it done in Europe.

#6: What challenges occurred in 2018 and 2019 that delayed installation?

EVolve NY: The time to get agreements with landlords was more challenging than we thought. Also, the lead time on the hardware itself with 150kW was hard – a 20-week lead time. Permitting, design work, etc., has been about as expected. We have over 40 sites where we are in construction or negotiation – and over 60 if you include the Thruway. We are well-positioned to execute many sites this year.

#7: Are you willing to put out a paper on where those sites will be?

EVolve NY: We can share those where the agreements are executed and a map with indicators of our targets for other sites. We are aiming for sites at 40-mile intervals along major corridors like the Thruway, I84, I87, etc.

#8: How soon will the first seven DCFC sites be available?

EVolve NY: The goal is to have those open by April/May. Others will be June and many more this summer. Same sites as were indicated on the map included with the FOIL request.

#9: Do you have a contractor to maintain the sites?

EVolve NY: We have six contractors on retainer and are also expanding to add more. They compete through mini bid for long term agreements including extended manufacturer warranties and network.

We are working diligently with the hardware and network providers to get them to ensure the best possible reliability, availability, and customer experience.

#10: Do you have a price in mind? And are you looking at CA? Charge by time isn’t equitable.

EVolve NY: Our pricing will be based on kWh, not time-based. Aiming for gas parity on pricing. We will have idling fees.

#11: Have had updates in 2017 and 2018 forecasting NYS Thruway installs. What’s different this year?

EVolve NY: Thruway was especially complicated. Original plan was for Thruway for 50kW with a single machine per plaza owned by Thruway. Scope changed to higher power – which resulted in additional considerations with the utility. Do have six fast(er) chargers to be deployed this winter

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow, thank you for the rare look into the insides of EvolveNY. I'm still sceptical, but it sure sounds promising doesn't it? I'd love to join this discussion, I'll PM you my info for sure.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I have added the contact info that folks have PM'd me to the list for the meeting invite, anyone else care to join before I submit the additions?

To those that provided contact info, please let me know if you do not receive a webex meeting invite before the 21st of this month and I will follow up with Elove NY

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
This week I attended a public information and public comment meeting hosted by the Transportation and climate change initiative in Rochester, NY
This multi-state regional initiative has the potential to significantly help increase EV DC fast charging across the participating states in the North Eastern US.

The recommended outcome, or investment from this initiative, could take many forms, investing in additional mass transit, upgrading subways in NYC, or investing in EV DCFC corridors as shown in the map above.

Many residents of the participating states are voicing opposition to this initiative, which as an EV driver I think is unfortunate, many others are suggesting that the investment funds be directed towards mass transit or light rail instead of investing in EV infrastructure and using it for additional EV purchase incentives.

The Transportation and climate change initiative says that the outcome will be greatly influenced by public comment. Any input that EV drivers might have in terms of public DCFC, incentives for EV purchase, anything that could help EV adoption would be constructive input for the initiative to hear.

The comment period ends at the end of this month. Follow this link to voice your opinion. Don't miss this opportunity to tell them what EV drivers think.

All comments are public and you can read what others are suggesting

Learn more about this multi-state initiative here

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Evolve NY website still talks about stations coming on-line before the end of 2019.
"Interstate and Urban Fast Chargers: DC (direct current) fast chargers have the potential to charge electric cars in as little as 10 minutes for 200 miles of range. NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2019 "

See the section titled "Initial phase" Has anyone seen any activity installing units recently that I might have missed? I am assuming that date will be revised next time I check to say 202X.
I came here wondering what the chances of EVolveNY hitting their end of 2020 deadline were actually going to be.

Thank you for answering my question.

Yes, as of now - that date is definitely revised. At least they bothered to update their documentation unlike Tesla!

Edit: Looks like some of wonderbolt's info provided is a bit more promising... But why make it so difficult to obtain the list of "under construction" sites that have executed contracts?

Same sites as were indicated on the map included with the FOIL request.
The fact that a FOIL request was needed to get this information is deeply concerning...

As to joining the Webex, it's unfortunately during what is a very busy part of the business day for me. The hour immediately following daily status is always the most hectic. :)

121 - 136 of 136 Posts