Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah, Roscoe is a great place for it. Naturally, that's why there's already a Supercharger there. NYPA/Electrify America / EVGo ... these guys are wasting their time doing "studies". Tesla already did the work - just put chargers near superchargers!

Roscoe would be a great place for me. I often (4-6x a year) travel I-81 to NY-17 to I-84. It's a bit of a stretch to get to Newburgh from Syracuse (>200 miles) in the wintertime, especially since I often have a roof box full of skis and/or Christmas gifts. Coming home, I have to go out of my way to hit the southern tier welcome center.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
.... NYPA/Electrify America / EVGo ... these guys are wasting their time doing "studies". Tesla already did the work - just put chargers near superchargers!
I agree, as a coworker once told me "it is always easier to say how someone else should do their job than to do your own" however I would much prefer to see the Evolve NY funds go towards incentivising an established DCFC supplier to install units where Tesla superchargers already are.

Little to no investment in site selection research, little to no investment in website building to locate a charger, just use plugshare,etc...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately it seems like some of the Superchargers are on properties that may actually be owned by Tesla. I wonder if some of the contracts might also include exclusivity?

Roscoe Diner and The Spot in Binghamton are owned by entities other than Tesla, but the Erwin (Painted Post) SC appears like it was an empty lot not long ago and Tesla might own the property?

South Meadow Marketplace in Ithaca is privately owned though, that would be a great CCS spot. Maybe I'm being a bit selfish since I like eating at Firehouse Subs. :) Although honestly Ithaca is close enough that just a little bit of L2 juice in that lot would be fine if not preferable.

Syracuse is a Holiday Inn parking lot.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I go the one in Painted Post often and it's on Dunkin Donuts property as best I can tell based on the nose of my car is about 8' from the drive-thru line of cars, but on the other side of the stalls is a retail strip mall just built that has parking on the back side of the kiosks. It would be a great location IMO as it's pretty easy on easy off the interstate and the strip mall may have more to offer than just DD's.
The one in Binghamton seems to be a part of the diner as you suggest so I would guess that Tesla either just leases the space or maybe it's gifted to them for increases in business. I'm not sure how those contracts are worded. That location is somewhat less convenient than most I've used.
I would be very surprised that there would be any exclusivity clause on Tesla's part as they encourage the adoption of EV's any way they can. It would be of no benefit to Tesla that I can think of.

The bigger obstacle is having the necessary infrastructure that can handle the increase in current beyond what Tesla has already tied up.

"And while Tesla works quickly to mark its Supercharger territory, most observers "don’t fully understand exactly how big of a play this really is. Essentially it's a massive land grab and the competition just let Tesla take all the prime real estate. Tesla Superchargers pump out 145kW of power a piece and that's a lot of power being pulled into a particular area. With all that power it can be exceptionally expensive and difficult to build these stations, and Tesla has gobbled up a lot of the easier (read: less expensive) places to build."

In addition, "it's not as simple as building a competing charging station across the street, in fact, that might be nearly impossible. Bringing in huge amounts of power into a small area like that would require a small power substation... [which] essentially makes it financially infeasible for the competition to build there. Basically, this means that nearly all the land you see around a [Tesla] Supercharger station is totally unusable by any other competitor."

141 - 144 of 144 Posts