Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
In 2016, there was roughly 480 ICE vehicle fires in the USA...

...per DAY.

If every one of them were reported in the media (like with EVs), there wouldn't be room for any other stories.
There are roughly 300 Million ICE vehicles in the United States. 480 fires Year

There are roughly 1 Million Electric Vehicles = 40 fires a year?

Odds are ..whether we like it or not ev will catch fire more often than a ICE...

Doesn't mean it will always be this way ..as Battery technology keeps developing they should get safer

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
480 ICE fires/day

365 X 480=175,200 fires/year

300M ICE vs 1M EV

175,200 ÷ 300 = 584 EV fires/year = 1.6 EV fires/day

I'd say EVs are much safer.
Absolutely this. EV's are exponentially safer than ICEV's when it comes to fires, all of them (brands/models). And because of the skateboard structural battery and lower center of gravity, safer when driving too. We should eventually see the insurance industry reflect this in our rates, in due time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Spontaneously?...
I don't consider an EV plugged into a 240V charging outlet to be in a "spontaneous" environment. Heat is being generated in the charging process.

...it takes a fair bit to get liquid gasoline to burn...
Like being in the presence of heat? I'm pretty sure that smoking is prohibited at fueling stations for the very reason that it doesn't take much to get liquid gasoline to burn.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your calculation did not include the actual fire rate of EVs, so it can't possibly be correct.

Here's another calculation, for the period 2017-2020:
If we consider the figure 3 to be statistically significant, Bolts are 68x less likely to have a fire than the average vehicle.
(If Bolts were comparable to other vehicles, we'd expect almost exactly 1 Bolt fire per week.)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Your calculation did not include the actual fire rate of EVs, so it can't possibly be correct.

Here's another calculation, for the period 2017-2020:
If we consider the figure 3 to be statistically significant, Bolts are 68x less likely to have a fire than the average vehicle.
(If Bolts were comparable to other vehicles, we'd expect almost exactly 1 Bolt fire per week.)
That was exactly my point. IF EVs were as bad as ICE there would be 1.6 fires every week, not that they ARE.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't believe some of the ignorant cavalier comments here. Always the same BS hiding behind "Wonder how many ICE cars caught fire" Well children, this is your car, not some one else's car and if you don't have the brains to park outside until GM figures out what is going on then you get what you deserve. May be nothing,
but also may be the whole fleet. How lucky are you feeling today?
Children...youth is wasted on the young.
I've been parking outside since the last posts and glad GM is investigating.
So well over 75,000 vehicles sold world wide since 2016, a vanishingly small number of fires, with totally unknown circumstances, and you're parking it outside? I'd have to simply park mine and not drive it, since I have no way to charge it if it's not in my garage near the L2 charger. I don't agree that youth is wasted on the young, but re-read Chicken Little while you're grousing about them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So well over 75,000 vehicles sold world wide since 2016, a vanishingly small number of fires, with totally unknown circumstances, and you're parking it outside? I'd have to simply park mine and not drive it, since I have no way to charge it if it's not in my garage near the L2 charger. I don't agree that youth is wasted on the young, but re-read Chicken Little while you're grousing about them.
Your problem for not putting your charger near the door, not mine. And thank-you for making my point clear,"totally unknown causes" you say. Statistics are for liars and fools. You can make any problem sound OK if you twist the numbers. If I go to Las Vegas for a crap game, well there are statistics that can tell me my chance of winning. If the dice are loaded, than no statistics on earth can tell me what my chances are if I don't know they are. Well right now until we know more the dice are loaded as far as I'm concerned. You want to loose everything on that bet? Fine go ahead, go to bed tonight convinced you will not be the fourth fire because you got life all figured out.
By the way, have you read the news lately? Maybe Chicken Little was right. Proud to be Chicken Little than Barbecue Butch.

·
Registered
482 Posts
In 2016, there was roughly 480 ICE vehicle fires in the USA...

...per DAY.

If every one of them were reported in the media (like with EVs), there wouldn't be room for any other stories.
I guess from your comment that you would rather not know if Bolts are catching on fire because it might keep you from reading the comics. I personally never want to hear about the car I have in my house where everything that is dear and precious to me might suddenly catch on fire at 3 a.m. I mean, why bother, after all the probability of it happening is so low (said the ostrich with their head in the sand as the wildebeest starts to chomp on its rear).

·
Registered
482 Posts
That escalated quickly.
Just tired of hearing the same old rationalizations when there is a possible problem with our "beloved Bolts" Could be nothing, I concur. Could be the a total fleet recall. Has happened before. Just stop pretending everything will be ok because you can't deal with reality. Not talking about you specifically.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I guess from your comment that you would rather not know if Bolts are catching on fire because it might keep you from reading the comics. I personally never want to hear about the car I have in my house where everything that is dear and precious to me might suddenly catch on fire at 3 a.m. I mean, why bother, after all the probability of it happening is so low (said the ostrich with their head in the sand as the wildebeest starts to chomp on its rear).
Driving your Bolt is infinitely more dangerous to you and your family than parking it in your garage and charging it. Are you going to give up driving in the name of safety?

Keith

·
Registered
180 Posts
480 ICE fires/day

365 X 480=175,200 fires/year

300M ICE vs 1M EV

175,200 ÷ 300 = 584 EV fires/year = 1.6 EV fires/day

Morning Guys ..yes, apparently I didn't have enough coffee when I was posting yesterday.. 480Ice fires was Day not Year

I live in Minnesota so my Bolt is staying in the Garage.. I will put 2 fire Alarms in the Garage and an electric fire extinguisher.. safe than sorry

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is the vapors of gasoline that burn easily, and gasoline can make a lot of vapors.
Pardon me. So what you are saying is that liquid gasoline will vaporize when exposed to the air at temperatures above...what?...50 degrees F. Kinda covers everyone not filling up in the Arctic Circle in the winter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Driving your Bolt is infinitely more dangerous to you and your family than parking it in your garage and charging it. Are you going to give up driving in the name of safety?

Keith
Typical argument. No, I am not going to stop driving. About to leave on a 250 mile trip. I simply am trying to not take an unnecessary risk. Statistics is just one point of reference in my decision making process. Trends are also important. One Bolt catching on fire is a sad unfortunate incident. Two bolts catching on fire is concerning. Three Bolts catching on fire and from early reports all starting in the same area of the car, is a trend. As I have said, too soon to know if this a major problem or just a cluster of coincedences.
For myself, I am not going to wait for a multi-national corporation, which has every reason on earth to not alarm its stock holders and customers, to tell me the truth about what is going on. Based on history of such matters it usually takes peoples deaths before a huge corporation is forthright. Boeing 737 Max comes to mind. Ford Pinto is another. It is so much simpler to just park outside the garage and not second guess the risks until this is all sorted out.
I wonder why this is such a threat to people? We use to call this common sense.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Trends are also important. One Bolt catching on fire is a sad unfortunate incident. Two bolts catching on fire is concerning. Three Bolts catching on fire and from early reports all starting in the same area of the car, is a trend. As I have said, too soon to know if this a major problem or just a cluster of coincedences.
Yes, three fires in four years with 78,000 vehicles sold is a trend. It's a trend that we can expect nearly zero incidents. It's a trend that says it's more than an order of magnitude safer to park an EV in your garage than an ICE vehicle.

I wonder why this is such a threat to people? We use to call this common sense.
Why would it be a threat to anyone that you park your own vehicle outside? People are just trying to impart... common sense.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts