Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody happen to know what version of USB is used in the 2018 Bolt. I can’t find it in the manual, or online anywhere. Maybe I’m blind. Do you happen to know if it is 2.0 or 3.0 or something else?

Thanks for your help,

Fed

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I was wondering if anybody happen to know what version of USB is used in the 2018 Bolt. I can’t find it in the manual, or online anywhere. Maybe I’m blind. Do you happen to know if it is 2.0 or 3.0 or something else?
I can't tell you for sure what USB version the console connectors are, but the usual reason for wanting to know is to figure out if the ports can supply the higher current allowed by USB 3.0. Based on how fast my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S7) charges when it's plugged into the console connectors (even though it's turned on and showing Google Maps via Android Auto) I'd say that the power delivery is considerably better than USB 2.0.

I've actually stopped charging my phone overnight at home, because it almost always ends up with a 100% charge when I get out of the car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am fine with the USB for my 2017... it serves its purpose. what I am not fine is that the wireless charge port does not charge my iPhone X when in the 2018 model it would.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The color of the port will tell you they are USB 2.0, Blue for USB 3.0, Black for USB 2.0
Not quite. From Wikipedia's USB 3.0 page:

Manufacturers are recommended to distinguish USB 3.0 connectors from their USB 2.0 counterparts by blue color-coding of the Standard-A receptacles and plugs,[2] and by the initials SS
I've also encountered at work a Dell laptop with USB 3.0 but black ports. I'm guessing it for style purposes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts