Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interesting trend of used 2017 Bolt prices over the last 90 days actually increasing 4.5%, also the persistence of the 2018 having slightly greater value than the 2019, very odd...

Limited Supply? Effects of the Federal tax credit being gone for new increasing the value of used? Lack of any significant formidable competition ? Lack of availability of Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV? Proven reliable EV with good battery thermal management? or just strange market gremlins that will self correct soon?

Remove the check box in the index plot to see trends in better detail

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Or it could the 2017s in the sample are so few just a couple of units selling a few hundred dollars higher could account for the insignificant increase.

Jack Vines

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Have to ask someone in the business to check the auction price. But, it could be related to lower tax credit on newer cars or more likely increased demand (more acceptance).

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
i think that redpoint5 is exactly correct. the used prices had to be lower because of the rebates for new in order to be appropriately competitive. now that new is more expensive, used doesn't have to be as inexpensive.

also, i too have noticed that used prices have gone up. i've been shopping bolts on cargurus, and prices have definitely gone up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It stands to reason that if our reasons for buying a Bolt EV were sound (low operating costs, minimal maintenance, estimated powertrain life of > 200K miles, very low battery degradation with active thermal management), then our cars will hold value well. You cannot buy a Kia Niro EV in Huntington WV. The nearest option is Cincinnati. You can buy a Bolt EV. So competition (of the type that qualifies for a full $7.5K Federal tax credit) is not yet rearing its head.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Just checked that link from OP, looks like 2017 and 2019 prices continue to climb slightly vs dropping.

Reactions: CountyBolt

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a year, it looks like as the 2017s have finally started to come back off lease in some volume that normalcy has returned to used Bolt pricing.

I subscribe for bolts listed for sale under $20k, it started as a trickle but is now several per week. Recently the lower priced units (17', 50k miles) are just under $16k

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
$16K for a 2017 long range capable EV is a steal!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
458 Posts
What a year, it looks like as the 2017s have finally started to come back off lease in some volume that normalcy has returned to used Bolt pricing.

I subscribe for bolts listed for sale under $20k, it started as a trickle but is now several per week. Recently the lower priced units (17', 50k miles) are just under $16k

View attachment 30444

View attachment 30445
Yeah, I have a 2017 Premiere with around 45k miles on it and get offers of between $14.5k (Carvana) and $17k (Vroom).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Dang, I may pick up a 2nd one, maybe a premier to get that sweet 360 camera.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got a call from my local Chevy dealer and they have a '17 Premier with28k miles for $18k.
I looked at it and could not tell it from new. If I needed another car (along with a hole in my head ) it would be in my driveway now.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
458 Posts
updated price trend graphic attached, link also below. The used car market on average has increased this year
View attachment 30619

Checked with both Carvana and Vroom this last week on my 2017 Premier with 45k miles on it (I almost never drive it at this point) and I got $14.5k from Vroom and just under that from Carvana.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
458 Posts
With '18s starting to come off lease, I would expect '17 models to drop further.
Same. Sort of trying to upgrade before it drops too far, especially with so many new models coming out and the hoopla around the new EVs coming to market.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The drop in price will definitely make EVs more affordable for someone not able to spend $30-40K for a new Bolt. Definitely good news for EV ownership.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The drop in price will definitely make EVs more affordable for someone not able to spend $30-40K for a new Bolt. Definitely good news for EV ownership.
Yeah, and as Bolt ownership increases through the “secondary” market, we’ll start to get a better and better idea of how well these first-gen batteries will hold up.

Seems like a lot of first-gen Bolt owners got out well before the battery warranty expired, or just didn’t drive the car much (maybe a lot more leasing than purchasing ... or just short commuting?)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts