Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Lots of Bolts in the SF Bay Area with 32-36k miles for ~ $14.5k . (LTs)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Lots of Bolts in the SF Bay Area with 32-36k miles for ~ $14.5k . (LTs)
That's around the prices I'm seeing in Oregon, but we have $2,500 rebate available if purchased through a dealership. Lots of EVs being shipped up north from CA due to our subsidy of used vehicles. I'd say the majority of the inventory is from out of state, as many have HOV stickers.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Inventory is less than half from when I began tracking (45%). Cargurus shows price stagnation. The rapid depreciation seems to have halted.

Will be interesting to see what happens once the stop sale is lifted. Spark prices seem to have plummeted. What used to be selling for $9k I'm seeing at $7k now.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Inventory for used Bolts has plummeted in recent days, with only ~30 in all of Oregon showing in Car Gurus. This is about 1/4 of the inventory when I first started tracking 6 weeks ago. Depreciation is still halted. Leases returns are still accumulating during the stop sale, so the longer that lasts, the more built up inventory that will flood the market at once.

Any predictions for how low pricing might go for a 2017 LT? Could a flood of inventory drive prices as low as $10k? I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, maybe I'd buy 2.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Inventory for used Bolts has plummeted in recent days, with only ~30 in all of Oregon showing in Car Gurus. This is about 1/4 of the inventory when I first started tracking 6 weeks ago. Depreciation is still halted. Leases returns are still accumulating during the stop sale, so the longer that lasts, the more built up inventory that will flood the market at once.

Any predictions for how low pricing might go for a 2017 LT? Could a flood of inventory drive prices as low as $10k? I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, maybe I'd buy 2.
So difficult to forecast... In support of it falling further:
  • More new EVs available (Downward pressure on used, people stretch for new, the "latest thing" see evidence here )
  • Prices of new EVs decreasing as lower cost batteries make there way to market
  • Government incentives for EVs lowering the effective price of new
  • Any potential customer hearing the words "2017 Bolt EV" and "fire" in the same sentence, regardless of final resolution
  • alternatives, continued low cost of gas
In support of staying the same/rising
  • Limited supply?
  • Awareness increases as new GM EVs are promoted and reach market, the New Bolt and Bolt EUV, "GM makes an EV, huh, I wonder if we could afford a used one?"
  • Gm offering 0% on Used Bolts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Inventory is still at a stagnant low, and Cargurus shows used pricing has increased a little over the past few weeks. I tend to think now is a bad time to buy used unless one thinks they could score a new battery. That seems to be unlikely given the latest news, and we might be waiting until April for the stop sale to be lifted. We'll see nearly half a years worth of lease returns and trade-ins hit the market all at once. Should see them steeply discounted then.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
My speculation 2 months ago seems to be largely accurate. The stop sale for MY 2019 should lift as the software remedies are applied.

CarGurus shows the low price was reached in the middle of Feb, and has increased 10% since then. Low inventory certainly drove prices up.

Now to see if releasing inventory all at once causes prices to plummet as I predict. I'll take a wild guess and say that in 2 months prices will be 20% less than they are today.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
51 Posts
Agreed, or whenever the recall fixes are fully-implemented. I still think this is the time to buy cause they’ll bounce back shortly.
that is why we took the plunge. I’ve been monitoring pricing and availability of phev’s and EV’s for the past 6 months and noticed that prices were going up on some, with availability decreasing as if someone is snatching them up.

it could also be that with the uncertaintyof this administration, and the push for a greener economy, people like me want to get ahead of whatever is on the horizon. I predict they’ll be harder to get if fuel prices increase and other programs are implemented.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Another variable, though, is the chip shortage situation. My RAV4H just went up another $800 on Carvana from a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if I should list it for sale for a half bitcoin, LOL!

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the market for a used Bolt. Any idea when more inventory will hit the market? Price has gone up considerably since we first looked in Feb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In the market for a used Bolt. Any idea when more inventory will hit the market? Price has gone up considerably since we first looked in Feb.
If the 2017-2018 fix happens at the time i type this, then they will be on the market in about 30 days. When the 2019 patch dropped, "early adopters" were getting it a week or two later. its going to take a while to flash 20k-30k 2017-2018 off lease cars.

Else the only way to get one is a "used car lot" because real chevy dealers are not allowed to sell them, and carvana etc will not sell a car with an open recall.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Since the 2019 model year is getting fixed first, it may be a good proxy for knowing the lead time between the remedy being available and vehicle inventory increasing.

I've been tracking Bolt inventory for a few months on CarGurus, and there's fewer used Bolts than ever. My plan is to see when 2019 models peak in inventory and make note of how many days from the remedy release. Then when the 2017-2018 remedy is released, time my purchase to be around the same number of days out.

I'm hoping to get into a Bolt for <$10k

Here's my spreadsheet
Bolt Inventory Tracking

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks guys! Guess I'll keep my eye on the 2017 bug fix. I know when I was looking earlier this year, I'd found a few Bolts at <$13k, and a lot at <$15k. Now almost everything is >$16k.

I really loved my old 2017 Bolt, but they wanted nearly $30k to keep it at least end. My wife needs a new car by the start of August, so hopefully inventory levels will be back up before then. I did find one locally for $14k, but the mileage is higher than I'd like, and its been sitting on a lot for a LONG time, and I'm worried the battery hasn't been kept up. Especially since this is a 3rd party used lot that doesn't specialize in EVs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks guys! Guess I'll keep my eye on the 2017 bug fix. I know when I was looking earlier this year, I'd found a few Bolts at <$13k, and a lot at <$15k. Now almost everything is >$16k.

I really loved my old 2017 Bolt, but they wanted nearly $30k to keep it at least end. My wife needs a new car by the start of August, so hopefully inventory levels will be back up before then. I did find one locally for $14k, but the mileage is higher than I'd like, and its been sitting on a lot for a LONG time, and I'm worried the battery hasn't been kept up. Especially since this is a 3rd party used lot that doesn't specialize in EVs.
That's a valid concern, but if it has been sitting at 40% charge and mild weather, not a big deal...

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a valid concern, but if it has been sitting at 40% charge and mild weather, not a big deal...
Odds are better than buying from grandpa that didnt drive it over the winter and left it plugged in at 100%. For long term storage i have to discharge packs to at least 40%, and half the time when i take them out a year or two later, they have 10-15% charge. Still test brand new.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Starting to see price alerts for used Bolts for sale as the final fix recall rolls out and inventory starts to return to the market, however the overall demand for used vehicles and short supply in general has prices n the rise..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Starting to see price alerts for used Bolts for sale as the final fix recall rolls out and inventory starts to return to the market, however the overall demand for used vehicles and short supply in general has prices n the rise..
View attachment 35549
I cant find squat, at almost any price. Even the 2017 LT's listed for $18-19k, are just GONE. Like why on earth did someone buy a pre fix 2017 LT from a kia lot with 22k on it and a $250 set of coopers, for $18,500, and it sold in 24 hours.
But now there are none. You would think that since the 22k 2017's that are out of lease, and the 2018's that are also should have been coming off lease since the beginning of the year, would be start trickling in. Thats like 40k cars. And its humorous to see 1/4 capacity chevy lots, but yet they still have 2-3 2021 bolts, even with heavy discounts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The lowest priced used bolt on auto trader is a 2017 LT just shy of $15k. All the prefix $12k bolts are gone. I'll be patient and wait a few months for the recall ones to come back and hopefully push prices back down.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
With the chip shortage and gas prices goi.g up, it will be a while before prices go down.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts