Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
176 Posts
interesting trend of used 2017 Bolt prices over the last 90 days actually increasing 4.5%, also the persistence of the 2018 having slightly greater value than the 2019, very odd...

Limited Supply? Effects of the Federal tax credit being gone for new increasing the value of used? Lack of any significant formidable competition ? Lack of availability of Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV? Proven reliable EV with good battery thermal management? or just strange market gremlins that will self correct soon?

Remove the check box in the index plot to see trends in better detail
With gas prices steadily going up most ev's values are increasing

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car got totaled. 2017's are $20k, regardless of mileage. 2018's do not exist period. 2019-2020 with the same mileage as the 2017's are $25k. New 2021 is $28k unless you have supplier+costco.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,203 Posts
Nationwide used inventory is back up to 90% of what it was in November. Prices peaked July 8th and are slightly coming down now.
What are your thoughts about inventory and pricing moving forward? I remember you saying you were waiting for the stop sale to be lifted, thinking there would be a lot of used Bolts flooding the market and driving down prices to the point where you would buy one. Is that still your plan?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
What are your thoughts about inventory and pricing moving forward? I remember you saying you were waiting for the stop sale to be lifted, thinking there would be a lot of used Bolts flooding the market and driving down prices to the point where you would buy one. Is that still your plan?
I expected a flood of inventory when the stop sale was lifted, but either demand for used vehicles is so high that the flood was absorbed, or there is still a backlog of inventory yet to be listed for sale. It seems unlikely to me that dealers would hang on to inventory, so perhaps the former is what's happening.

My current thinking is to wait for the chip shortage to end, which will allow new vehicle inventory to meet demand, which will drive used vehicle pricing down.

Since I'm in the market to purchase a used Bolt, I'm hoping fear of fire pushes prices further down. If GM buys many of the vehicles back, that would create even more used inventory. I'd be extatic to get a used Bolt for $10k, and then later have the battery replaced under a recall. Probably not likely, but that scenario is possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I expected a flood of inventory when the stop sale was lifted, but either demand for used vehicles is so high that the flood was absorbed, or there is still a backlog of inventory yet to be listed for sale. It seems unlikely to me that dealers would hang on to inventory, so perhaps the former is what's happening.

My current thinking is to wait for the chip shortage to end, which will allow new vehicle inventory to meet demand, which will drive used vehicle pricing down.

Since I'm in the market to purchase a used Bolt, I'm hoping fear of fire pushes prices further down. If GM buys many of the vehicles back, that would create even more used inventory. I'd be extatic to get a used Bolt for $10k, and then later have the battery replaced under a recall. Probably not likely, but that scenario is possible.
My local place has 100 used cars. 55 are bolts and the pictures look like they have been stored in a desert for the last 9 months. So i believe there is just hoards of bolts in lots around the country. But in my case, all the bolts are same price as they were in april if you want one with an extra 40-50k miles on them, or if you want one with just 24k in it, it cost as much as what new 2020/21 was in may/june.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I've got a mental block where I won't allow myself to pay more for something than the previously low price. The only exception I make to that is real estate and ETFs. I'll never pay more than $14k for a used Bolt because that's what they were selling for in November in my market. That price was reasonable considering new ones were less than $10k more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a mental block where I won't allow myself to pay more for something than the previously low price. The only exception I make to that is real estate and ETFs. I'll never pay more than $14k for a used Bolt because that's what they were selling for in November in my market. That price was reasonable considering new ones were less than $10k more.
Yea im not sure how that sweet spot will ever happen again. Id say the sweet spot was $16k for a premier with just over the 36k 3 year lease number. But how are you going to ever find that again? Even if the high used car prices go away in a year or two. You are now looking for a 2017 with 36k on it, in the year 2023. Its going to be a unicorn. The only reason the current 2017 batch has that low of miles was because they were benched for 9 months, else they would all have 45-50k on them.

Id say the next sweet spot is going to be $10-11k for one with 60-70k next year. But right now the cheapest one in the area is $15k with 85k on it :(

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I don't need a vehicle, so I may never get one. By keeping an eye on the market I'll know a good deal if it comes again.

If our family grows, I might want a Model S or something similarly large. Perhaps I'll find a good price in a year or so for one.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts