Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I JUST got a used Bolt 2020 two days ago and thus far am pretty pleased.

However, I've noticed when I get into the car that there is a very quiet clicking noise before I even turn the car on. I can hear it when driving slowly, and the noise persists for a few moments after I turn the car off. The noise seems to be coming from under the center dash or thereabouts under the hood. The sound is almost identical to a very quiet tongue click and it happens at a rate of 3-4 clicks per second.

I spoke with a 2017 Bolt owner who said this is not normal for him. I don't believe this is normal for my Bolt either, but just wanted to see what the community might think. (I have an appointment to get it checked out tomorrow as the car is under warranty).

Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Could be your brake actuator. Check out these postings:

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
However, I've noticed when I get into the car that there is a very quiet clicking noise before I even turn the car on.
Some report that the clicking stops when the brake pedal is depressed when it's the iBooster.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I got heads!
I changed the oil and filters in our ICE cars for 50 years. My wife got sucked into an oil change deal when she bought her last ICE vehicle. When that deal ended, I went back to changing her oil. The very first time I pulled the drain plug, the threads had been cross threaded, and driven in with an air wrench. I had to drill, and re-tap, the oil pan for a larger plug. They sell these at parts stores for folks who have had their oil changed in a shop. :mad:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I changed the oil and filters in our ICE cars for 50 years. My wife got sucked into an oil change deal when she bought her last ICE vehicle. When that deal ended, I went back to changing her oil. The very first time I pulled the drain plug, the threads had been cross threaded, and driven in with an air wrench. I had to drill, and re-tap, the oil pan for a larger plug. They sell these at parts stores for folks who have had their oil changed in a shop. :mad:
These stories are common, for sure, and we all rely on our own personal experience to form opinions. I really believe it depends where you go. The service department I worked in rarely saw those types of mistakes. Not never, of course, because when you service 100+ cars per day, some mistakes are bound to happen. But as a whole, they were excellent. Sadly, my experience seems to be the exception, not the rule

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't let them sell you an i-Booster. There is a software fix!

View attachment 36405
GJetson!

Thanks.

You guys are above and beyond with helping and also your knowledge.
I know very little about cars aside from changing my own oil.

Dumb questions:
1) Since we are in the 2nd quarter, has this update been released?
2) Whether or not it's been released, how do I update my cars software?

·
Registered
341 Posts
GJetson!

Thanks.

You guys are above and beyond with helping and also your knowledge.
I know very little about cars aside from changing my own oil.

Dumb questions:
1) Since we are in the 2nd quarter, has this update been released?
2) Whether or not it's been released, how do I update my cars software?
1) Yes! It has.
2) Sadly, you have to take it in to a dealer. This is not something GM offers over the air.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1) Yes! It has.
2) Sadly, you have to take it in to a dealer. This is not something GM offers over the air.
I called OnStar and they said I could update on my own. So I hooked car to WiFi and it said no updates available.

Does the dealer have updates I may not have access to? Might this mean I truly need part replaced?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
These stories are common, for sure, and we all rely on our own personal experience to form opinions. I really believe it depends where you go. The service department I worked in rarely saw those types of mistakes. Not never, of course, because when you service 100+ cars per day, some mistakes are bound to happen. But as a whole, they were excellent. Sadly, my experience seems to be the exception, not the rule
Had it happen to me with a Camry we once owned. Shop that had been generally OK managed to cross-thread the drain plug and stripped it. Had to replace the oil pan. Shop paid for it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
I called OnStar and they said I could update on my own. So I hooked car to WiFi and it said no updates available.

Does the dealer have updates I may not have access to? Might this mean I truly need part replaced?
Re. updates: I'd kind of like to know about that too. My impression is that the rare OTA updates (when my car is connected to the house wifi) are for the infotainment system only. Updates affecting the actual car appear to require a dealer visit. Anybody have specific references about that?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,282 Posts
Re. updates: I'd kind of like to know about that too. My impression is that the rare OTA updates (when my car is connected to the house wifi) are for the infotainment system only. Updates affecting the actual car appear to require a dealer visit. Anybody have specific references about that?
No specific reference, just the anecdotal evidence that not a single person on this forum has ever written about an OTA update that wasn't just for the infotainment system.

·
Registered
341 Posts

You can do routine software updates for the Infotainment system OTA. In your case, you have an actual vehicle malfunction. There is a software update that can fix it, but it is not a generic fix all software update. he dealer had to formally diagnose it, then do the software update. We are assuming your concern is just software related. And while it likely is, GM will want you to have an actual diagnosis first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well shoot y'all.

This car is a 2020 with only 4000 miles.

Here's my dilemma. Given it's so new, this sounds like it is a software problem, so I should therefore take it to Chevy. However, I bought the car via Carvanna, and dealerships are not preferred service providers, so I have a $50 deductible with Chevy. And maybe it's not a software problem (?).

For the record: I have no problem paying $50.

So... shall I
1) cancel my appointment with the non-dealership and take i to Chevy
or
2) keep my appointment with a non-dealer and most likely have them change out the actuator

?

WWYD (what would y'all do)?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts