Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know places like Amazon have "used" that are mostly customer returns or damaged in shipping sort of things. Then there is commercial like Chargepoint for sale at auction places.

Two questions. Would one consider the used home type Level 2 chargers OK if the price is right or just buy new with warranty.

Second is there are some commercial Chargepoints online. I'd be tempted to use one if I could be somewhat sure I can program it to be free. Chargepoint has my question sitting for 2 months. One seller said program in freevend but I can't find that in manual. Any thoughts or just walk away?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FUI, Chargepoint still hasn't replied to my support ticket. Guess they don't want people buying second hand commercial chargers.

I did make an offer on a used L2. Hopefully it is OK.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
234 Posts
If the used EVSE was offered by the original manufacturer, I'd probably be comfortable with one. I would expect the commercial units can be made free. A nearby hospital has 8 Chargepoint stations that are free for the first two hours, then they charge after that. Of course, that might require them to be connected to the Chargepoint system, which likely has a cost. Too bad you can't get an answer out of them about it.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I've bought 3 used level 1 EVSEs and modified them to be level 2. If the price is right, what's the worry? One of the EVSE I got for $20. Of course, these are dumb devices, so there's more to go wrong with a smart EVSE. Just make sure it meets your current and future anticipated needs and buy it.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
234 Posts
If the price is right, what's the worry?
That's it in a nutshell. But if the used one is priced too high, you have to start considering the fact a new one has a warranty. We installed a first generation Juicebox 40 for my daughter's Pacifica a few years back, and about six months ago it stopped working. Enel-X shipped a brand new second generation replacement, even before we sent the old one back. Sometimes it's worth the higher cost to go new.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yep, I bought a ClipperCreek refurb 4 years ago and it's still working fine. I think JuiceBox (now Enel-X) offers them as well. Both are made in the US if that's important to you.
I had a lot of questions before I purchased my EVSE. Both ClipperCreek and JuiceBox answered the phone quickly and replied in a timely manner to my emails. I was impressed with both companies. I've never had to use their customer service but anecdotal reports say they're great.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I haven't seen any $20 models.

The used ones online hover above $100.

The commercial CT4000's go from $650 to $2800 plus shipping. I'd buy one of those if I didn't need to connect to CP.

If I get the F150 though I'd have to replace it with the 80A and transfer box.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I just wanted a cool evse. Thanks. That's too much for fun.
It's a glorified extension cord. How cool can it be?

The most versatile one I can think of is the OpenEVSE - lots of possibilities in terms of programming and monitoring. But at the end of the day, it's still just an EVSE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts