Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but given that there should be a ton of recalled batteries that are (maybe?) going back to LG, would it be possible to use one of these batteries in your home if you could deal with getting it moved etc? I know, it's crazy but LG (or GM) might be willing to let you buy one once Chevy removes the battery for the replacement. And maybe for dirt cheap given that you are taking on a little risk (but I am guessing you could minimize the risk by only using the batter y at levels from 25% to 75%.

I know, these batteries are over 300 V which could present a rather large safety issue in and of itself, but just wondering if anyone has given this any thought.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but given that there should be a ton of recalled batteries that are (maybe?) going back to LG, would it be possible to use one of these batteries in your home if you could deal with getting it moved etc? I know, it's crazy but LG (or GM) might be willing to let you buy one once Chevy removes the battery for the replacement. And maybe for dirt cheap given that you are taking on a little risk (but I am guessing you could minimize the risk by only using the batter y at levels from 25% to 75%.

I know, these batteries are over 300 V which could present a rather large safety issue in and of itself, but just wondering if anyone has given this any thought.
Just ... don't. I wouldn't even use a Powerwall right now, with non-LFP chemistry; there are too many commercial LFP home batteries around to mess with something that's even potentially a fire hazard.

·
Registered
999 Posts
There is no way GM LG is going to just toss the batteries I'd think. Someone has their little eyes on them if they can figure out a way to use them. Places like DC chargers could use them and use much lower current to replenish the unit.
Some emergency power trailers could maybe use them. All sorts of ways to use them over trying some massive recycle.
Tesla and others have been building massive battery storage for power companies already.

There are a few companies offering LiFePo4 home battery backup solutions.

·
Registered
23 Posts

The recalled batteries are still worth $10,000 of core return charge to LG/GM for the faulty battery pack. The precious metals Lithium, Cobalt, and Nickel in the cells are too expensive to dispose of.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,684 Posts
Just ... don't. I wouldn't even use a Powerwall right now, with non-LFP chemistry; there are too many commercial LFP home batteries around to mess with something that's even potentially a fire hazard.

Let's see, ~200,000 Powerwalls installed, and zero fires reported. I'd be more concerned about a red-light runner plowing into me in my Bolt, than my two Powerwalls spontaneously igniting.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
967 Posts
I would suspect LG will be recycling the old batteries for their raw materials. A proper facility can recover 95% of the materials from used li-ion batteries. To me it would make sense for them to do this to soften the financial blow.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I read an article where they (GM) are shipping them all to a supplier warehouse in Oklahoma and essentially just storing them there until they figure out what to do with them.
found link, some outfit called SNT

·
Registered
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Exactly zero of these batteries are going to be repurposed. They have no way to tell which ones are good or bad without physically destroying them. All of these batteries are going to be destroyed and recycled for their precious elements. The liability they would incur repurposing potentially defective batteries that display their defects by self immolating without warning would be massive.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Me: Calls GM. "I'd like to buy one of the defective batteries"
GM: "Those can catch fire and burn up your car"
Me: "No, no... I want to put it in my HOUSE"
GM: "OOOOHHHH. You want to burn your HOUSE down! In that case, sure, here ya go..."

:D

Mike

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Me: Calls GM. "I'd like to buy one of the defective batteries"
GM: "Those can catch fire and burn up your car"
Me: "No, no... I want to put it in my HOUSE"
GM: "OOOOHHHH. You want to burn your HOUSE down! In that case, sure, here ya go..."

:D

Mike
I just want to know what number you called to get a real person on the phone. There are a lot of people waiting on buyback updates who want to know the trick!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
The batteries can be visually inspected if I understand the defect correctly. If not then a 3D x-ray could automatically inspect them.
Yeah, the dealers may not be able to figure out which cells are bad, but the manufacturer probably can - particularly if they disassemble the pack down to the cell level.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Pretty sure the entire module goes back in crate to some purpose built facility or maybe the original build location. Can't see them shipping overseas but plenty of boats empty going that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts