Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually like OnStar turn by turn because it nicely integrates with the car (of course) and shows up on the instrument panel with some unobtrusive directions - no voice. AFAIK Apple Maps either gives you the intrusive voice, or you get the map taking up the whole screen. With OnStar I get integrated visual cues and no voice (has to be turned off each time). Anyhow my one big complaint is that to get a specific route you have to talk to somebody; most of the time I just want to set it up. Well I figured out how to do that from the myChevrolet app. Pretty easy, but not obvious at first glance. Bonus, you get an idea of your charge at all your waypoints! Here's how you do it.

• Go to Energy Assist, Plan Your Route
  • It should show where your car is on a map. You can manually update your starting location or take this.
    • To change manual location, tap the starting point pin, you can either go manual location or current vehicle location
  • Now, tap and hold a different location you want to go to. Zoom in to get as precise as you want. On the bottom now you'll have the option of "Create Route"
  • At this point it should be more clear, you can "add stops" to cherry pick the route, and you can tap the vertical "..." for Route Options, which includes choosing a Green Route over the Fastest Route. I like to avoid highways and dirt roads.
  • Keep on adding points until you get to your destination, then tap the ">" on the destination. You are given an approximate battery at that point (from your present battery life), or you can remove from route (if you added a point you want to get rid of), or you can ... Send to Turn-by-Turn!
  • Open in Maps just opens that waypoint in maps - ignore.
  • The information key just tells you the location, a building, a rest stop or whatever designation your location has.
Really nice way to create a customized drive for yourself. I haven't tested the battery life estimation extensively but will do so.

Improvements needed
  • Once you are in the create route mode, you can't save it. You have to send, cancel and it clears out. I would like to save routes, so I can create them early then just access them when I'm ready to go.
  • When creating a route you can't use the rest of the app. Exception, if you use the 'long press' on a modern iPhone on the app icon, you can get to the key fob utilities. Your route is still in the Energy Assist page for you to continue.
  • Usability/clarity of the feature could be improved, it took a lot of fiddeling to figure this out, and I wasn't even sure it would do what I wanted until I got to the end

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Very interesting - yours is the first post I've seen about this. It may be that this is how Chevy has fulfilled Mary Barra's promise of in-vehicle navigation despite not having a conventional GPS system.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it's a new feature, looks like it came in around July. Add in that getting to it isn't obvious at first and no wonder it's not well known. For me, keeping the navigation or letting it expire depended on this feature. I was surprised to see it frankly, I expected I was out of luck, but I also suspect that you only get it on the Bolt, since it's EV focused.

We're lucky as Bolt owners, GM is really pushing out their innovation on this automobile. The most exciting is OTA updates, I will not be surprised to see adaptive cruise control as a $$addon, for example.

To be clear, using the feature is as simple as choosing your starting and ending points, and maybe a waypoint or two. You can make the route as complicated or as simple as you like. I'm not super familiar with Apple Maps/Google Maps for auto navigation, but I think this is actually more powerful and customizable, if more clumsy. Those apps follow the paradigm of "I'm here, go here", while OnStar supports making (for example) a nice long round trip along whatever roads you choose.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath. On GM's other cars (such as the Volt), adaptive cruise control requires a front-mounted radar unit that the Bolt doesn't have.
Nah, GM has it working in other cars with just the camera system. It can already judge distance, time gap and the car knows its speed so it can easily calculate the other cars speed. Granted radar would make the system more reliable but they can do ACC with just the current camera tech.

Though now that I typed all of that, I forgot the camera I am talking about is part of the extra safety features that you have to add onto a Premier so of course not every has it on their car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
MyChevy App doesn't work for route planning for me. I'm following the instructions above but the Create Route is greyed out. The car is fully charged and on the route planning screen I'm getting an error 'Your driving range is getting too low to reach home without charging."

Photo 1 shows car is fully charged.

Photo 2 shows error message when experimenting traveling from my house to an arbitrary nearby location. Ideally, I'm looking for the route from Saratoga to Calistoga, Ca.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
The MyChevy app is brain dead. After a pleasant discussion with a service rep, I was informed that in order for the route planning to work as expected, one must have the appropriate level of onstar subscription. Since I have the basic plan, it doesn't include the route planning. Rather than give a helpful error message or trying to upsell, the app just greys out the plan route command. This is such a perfect example of outsourcing development. They got exactly what they paid for and nothing more. Because I don't have the right subscription level the secondary error messages (...driving range low..., and "! on arrival") are resultant.

One reason Tesla is so successful is that their route planning is a pleasure and easy to use. It's the first thing many of my Tesla owning friends bring up when discussing route planning.

Now I know.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have had my Bolt one year tomorrow. Over this year, I have driven legs of > 200 miles 16 times. Six of those were the second leg in a day of a ~400 mile (one-way) trip. My single longest leg was 232 miles. I have always planned my trip prior to getting in the car, usually using Plug Share. I enter the routes into my Garmin DriveSmart GPS. I did not extend my OnStar beyond basic. I have not missed not having the app for route planning.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I have had my Bolt one year tomorrow. Over this year, I have driven legs of > 200 miles 16 times. Six of those were the second leg in a day of a ~400 mile (one-way) trip. My single longest leg was 232 miles. I have always planned my trip prior to getting in the car, usually using Plug Share. I enter the routes into my Garmin DriveSmart GPS. I did not extend my OnStar beyond basic. I have not missed not having the app for route planning.

At the laughably high subscription rates, I'll be joining you when my "free" subscription ends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? My energy assist shows me in the middle of the ocean off the East coast of Africa. My parked location and navigation buttons are accurate, though. The issue is that in the last two days I've gotten alerts on my phone that I don't have enough charge and no charging stations around me... which is probably accurate if I was actually in Africa.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
My energy assist shows me in the middle of the ocean off the East coast of Africa.
I'd be willing to stake a bet that "middle of the ocean off the East cost of Africa" means that whatever software component is reporting that has no received no valid GPS coordinates and so it's defaulted to 0 degrees longitude and 0 degrees latitude...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd be willing to stake a bet that "middle of the ocean off the East cost of Africa" means that whatever software component is reporting that has no received no valid GPS coordinates and so it's defaulted to 0 degrees longitude and 0 degrees latitude...
0 Long ,0 Lat would put them somewhere off the west coast of Africa...
You'd have to go ~45+ degrees east to get into the ocean off the east coast of Africa.
Something else is afoot, or the poster was mixing their W's and E's...

·
Registered
144 Posts
0 Long ,0 Lat would put them somewhere off the west coast of Africa...
You'd have to go ~45+ degrees east to get into the ocean off the east coast of Africa.
Something else is afoot, or the poster was mixing their W's and E's...
You were right. I meant West coast. So Sean might be right about the app defaulting to 0 - 0. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? My energy assist shows me in the middle of the ocean off the East coast of Africa. My parked location and navigation buttons are accurate, though. The issue is that in the last two days I've gotten alerts on my phone that I don't have enough charge and no charging stations around me... which is probably accurate if I was actually in Africa.

That is very bizarre and I have not seen that. I am just now learning how to use the app and I am spending several hours with it.

Paul

·
Registered
157 Posts
Occasionally the app will tell me my bolt is out of energy, and because the app believes the battery is completely drained, it also states that no charging station is within range and advises me to call for service.

On an iPhone, pulling down on the app's screen will force a refresh, and the correct range is then displayed.

Not sure about being in the middle of the ocean. Does the app have access to your phone's GPS service?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You were right. I meant West coast. So Sean might be right about the app defaulting to 0 - 0. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens.

I saw this once, but laughed it off and refreshed the screen with a down-swipe. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yup, the app has GPS and is accurate on the other tabs (e.g. parked location, navigation). The energy assist tab is always wrong, though. Sometimes I'm in Africa, other times it reports my location from hours/days ago.

Oddly enough, I got another notification over the weekend that I was running out of juice with no chargers around. When I clicked on it, it accurately showed that I was in downtown Portland, surrounded by charging stations, and with 160 miles left... :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just set up my Onstar today, what a joke it has become. They give you 1 free month now, no more 1 free year. I asked about the 5 free years of basic coverage, the door locks and remote start, and that is no longer offered. I honestly dont know how Onstar makes it, not many can be paying for it. At least the turn by turn directions have evolved past the early days of a live person doing the route.

I really wouldn't mind having Onstar, but it needs to be built in to the price of the car, and not subscription based. It is definitely not worth $250 a year to me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just set up my Onstar today, what a joke it has become. They give you 1 free month now, no more 1 free year. I asked about the 5 free years of basic coverage, the door locks and remote start, and that is no longer offered. I honestly dont know how Onstar makes it, not many can be paying for it. At least the turn by turn directions have evolved past the early days of a live person doing the route.

I really wouldn't mind having Onstar, but it needs to be built in to the price of the car, and not subscription based. It is definitely not worth $250 a year to me.
I think somebody told you wrong. Unless this changed in the last few days, the five free years of basic coverage is still available.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts