Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry if this is redundant, but is it impossible to use the OEM EVSE at NEMA 14-50 and achieve 30A charge rate? Is it still limited to 2x12A?
To expand on what ARob said, by running the OEM EVSE at 240v you're not changing the amperage it outputs. That stays the same no matter what: 12A. The wiring was designed for 12A and it won't output more. At 240v it doesn't put out 2 x 12A, that's now how things work.

120v * 12A = 1440W
240V * 12A = 2880W

So doubling the voltage doubles the wattage (power), not the current (amperage). The only way to get more amperage than 12A (and also more wattage) is to buy a different EVSE that will output more power to the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another 'fly in the buttermilk' may be the cord on the stock EVSE.

Look close for labeling. It may say 'Max 300 Volt'. That's 120 volt rated wire.
Proper L2 EVSE's have cords labeled 'Max 600 Volt'. That's 240 volt rated wire.
My '17 Bolt, that I just purchased, didn't come with the stock L1 EVSE so I can't answer this.

Instead of McGyvering all these 'unsafe, not to code, adapters', you could open your dusty old billfold a tiny bit,
blow the moths out, and just buy a proper L2. A 16A or a 32A.
Both would work fine at home depending on the 240V circuit/outlet you have.

I have 3 - L2 EVSE's around the ranch.
One is a proper cheap 16A L2.
One is a converted stock EVSE that has 'Open EVSE' internals but the stock cord.
One is a kit built Juicebox but uses a 120 volt cord.
So I'm guilty as 'charged'... :p

All of them can be used on 120V, which is my game plan come winter. Currently I rarely charge at home.
I'll plug the Bolt and the Spark EV in L1 @ 8A just to get the TMS but not much in the way of charging.
Charging primarily takes place at work at a free 6.6kW L2. cheep cheep....

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Thank you very much! I did buy a welder's adapter
You need a welder's adapter that goes from your 14-50P to 6-15R. See post #21
Then you buy the adapter that takes you from the 6-15R to 5-20R.
Once you're on 240V, you no longer have to tell the car to use 12 amps, it just defaults to it. This is the best part of converting the one that came with the car to 240.
I routinely charge from 7 bars to 18 which takes about 12 hours. Each bar is roughly 12 miles of range.

·
Registered
130 Posts
..... The only way to get more amperage than 12A (and also more wattage) is to buy a different EVSE that will output more power to the car.
Technically it's EVSE pilot signal that tells the car's onboard charger to pull more current from the line.
The EVSE is just a relay. Open or closed. And a control board that sends out the pilot signal to the car telling the car what the EVSE is capable of.

Reactions: ga2500ev

·
Registered
125 Posts
Look close for labeling. It may say 'Max 300 Volt'. That's 120 volt rated wire.
Proper L2 EVSE's have cords labeled 'Max 600 Volt'. That's 240 volt rated wire.
I did a lot of searching and I can't find any instance of where using a 300v rated wire is not approved for 240v single phase power. Can you point out the NEC code which prohibits this?

Edit: BTW, I'm not asking to be argumentative. If this is the case I'd really like to know where it is spelled out. There are all kinds of nuances in the code. The most common one we see is that a circuit is really only capable of carrying 80% of it's rated amperage continuously. The other is everyone gives a wires ampacity based on NM-B, but if you use THHN in conduit you can pull a lot more amperage with the same gauge wire. If there's a rule of thumb for voltage too, I'd like to know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need a welder's adapter that goes from your 14-50P to 6-20R. See post #21
Then you buy the adapter that takes you from the 6-20R to 5-20R.
Once you're on 240V, you no longer have to tell the car to use 12 amps, it just defaults to it. This is the best part of converting the one that came with the car to 240.
I routinely charge from 7 bars to 18 which takes about 12 hours. Each bar is roughly 12 miles of range.
Can't EVSE be plugged in into NEMA 6-20R? NEMA 5-20R looks different with 2 horizontal pins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To expand on what ARob said, by running the OEM EVSE at 240v you're not changing the amperage it outputs. That stays the same no matter what: 12A. The wiring was designed for 12A and it won't output more. At 240v it doesn't put out 2 x 12A, that's now how things work.

120v * 12A = 1440W
240V * 12A = 2880W

So doubling the voltage doubles the wattage (power), not the current (amperage). The only way to get more amperage than 12A (and also more wattage) is to buy a different EVSE that will output more power to the car.
what does outputting double Wattage result? Does it shorten the charge time at all then?

·
Registered
562 Posts
You are being fooled by the visual on the 6-50R. They are a completely different size than a 5-15 or 5-20. Try plugging in a 120V item in a dryer socket to see the size difference.

There is no single direct adapter from a 14-50 to a 5-15/5-20. 14 series units are designed for 250/125V while 5-15 is 125V only. It's one of the reasons the Grow light 6-15 (which is also 250V only) to 5-15/5-20 is really the magic adapter in this discussion because it delivers 250V on a 125V socket.

You will need to return the 14-50 to 6-50 adapter. It's not going to help you. Check out the adapters on the first page of this thread to see how it's done.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
21 Posts
No. You didn't. I already told you that. The name of the outlet is right in the description: 6-50r. Not 5-15r, not 5-20r.

I can even show you:

View attachment 31075

One of those is the Bolt EVSE plug. The other would fit the adapter you have coming. See a problem?
ah, thank you, now I see that the pins in 6-50r are further apart and are larger. It was tough to tell by the Amazon picture. Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are being fooled by the visual on the 6-50R. They are a completely different size than a 5-15 or 5-20. Try plugging in a 120V item in a dryer socket to see the size difference.

There is no single direct adapter from a 14-50 to a 5-15/5-20. 14 series units are designed for 250/125V while 5-15 is 125V only. It's one of the reasons the Grow light 6-15 (which is also 250V only) to 5-15/5-20 is really the magic adapter in this discussion because it delivers 250V on a 125V socket.

You will need to return the 14-50 to 6-50 adapter. It's not going to help you. Check out the adapters on the first page of this thread to see how it's done.

ga2500ev
Thank you, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Reactions: dislagogreen

·
Registered
21 Posts
14-50P (Plug) to -20R (Receptacle)

6-20P (Plug) to 5-20R (Receptacle)
would this one do?