Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
615 Posts
A 130 mile commute is like in the 99th percentile of commutes. It's a mistake to take an outlier such as that and normalize it. That's how we get folks who have a 7 mile commute thinking that they need a full blown 32A EVSE installed.

ga2500ev
I agree many seem to think faster is always better no matter the cost. In fact, my primary EVSE is 30A, and more than adequate for a 99th percentile driver. Not as fast as I could get, but rarely takes more than 3-4 hours to top off. And a 2.88 kW $30 “hack” in my case is a cheap insurance policy.

I have seen people argue they need 40A EVSEs for future proofing, because they may someday buy a car that charges faster. Never mind their 40 mile commute won’t change, or that completing charging at 7PM vs 7:30PM will make their lives any different.

But hey, maybe they have more cents than sense. At least they keep the economy humming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just don't understand why manufacturers give an EVSE with the unit that many think is unusable. They should offer a 240V 24A to 32A unit with the EV that can reduced to [email protected] using an adapter. I just think it's wasteful not to use the EVSE that comes with the car and insisting that everyone purchase a separate EVSE.
Nissan badges a unit that does everything we could want. Nice adapter and certifications galore. It's ridiculous that Chevrolet couldn't find their way to doing the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just don't understand why manufacturers ....
They should offer a 240V 24A to 32A unit with the EV
--that can reduced to [email protected] using an adapter. ...
Excellent point!!

The cost increase would be minimal for a 32A L2.
And with the goofy but safe 120V adapter it is now an L1,,, in a pinch.
And the Lawyers would still be happy with the 8 or 12A choice when on 120V.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
If someone really was paranoid, all they would have to do is remove the 6-20 to 5-20/5-15 adapter from the scene. Then the outlet is completely unusable to 125V plugs.
My thought was you could zip tie the adapter to the EVSE plug. Then if someone did unplug something they would have to cut the zip tie to get things apart, and then put the adapter into the 6-20 outlet to make it "dangerous".

Nissan badges a unit that does everything we could want. Nice adapter and certifications galore. It's ridiculous that Chevrolet couldn't find their way to doing the same.
Agree. My Leaf had a 30A EVSE that had a 5-15 adapter and a 14-50 plug. Granted the 5-15 adapter was huge and kind of a PITA to get it to stay in the wall, but at least the car came with everything for 120v, and 240v charging at 30A. Of course doing something like this costs more money (as does making DC fast charging standard and not an option). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I just don't understand why manufacturers give an EVSE with the unit that many think is unusable. They should offer a 240V 24A to 32A unit with the EV that can reduced to [email protected] using an adapter. I just think it's wasteful not to use the EVSE that comes with the car and insisting that everyone purchase a separate EVSE.
The Gen II,, 32 amp EVSE, that Tesla ships with every Model 3/Y is our only EVSE. It is barely larger than the Clipper Creek that comes with the Bolt, and it will run off any electrical outlet you will find, with the appropriate OEM adapter. So, at least one maker takes EVs seriously.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My thought was you could zip tie the adapter to the EVSE plug. Then if someone did unplug something they would have to cut the zip tie to get things apart, and then put the adapter into the 6-20 outlet to make it "dangerous".

Agree. My Leaf had a 30A EVSE that had a 5-15 adapter and a 14-50 plug. Granted the 5-15 adapter was huge and kind of a PITA to get it to stay in the wall, but at least the car came with everything for 120v, and 240v charging at 30A. Of course doing something like this costs more money (as does making DC fast charging standard and not an option). :rolleyes:
Sure thing. Although I have nobody in the household using outlets in the garage, I am planning on leaving the little 6-20 to 5-15 adapter on the EVSE plug (tape it), esp. when unplugged - should it be unplugged when not in use?
Also, when the car is fully charged, is there a drawback, if it stays plugged in?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also, when the car is fully charged, is there a drawback, if it stays plugged in?
Not at all. In fact, the manual says to leave it plugged in for extreme temperatures both directions. I had a steep-ish driveway that I could not get the Bolt up last winter. So it was parked...plugged in (set to 75%)...for 4 months. Even my 4x4 had a wild ride getting up that driveway.
It's not charging the whole time. I guess it does it's usual battery temperature management and then recharges back that bit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sure thing. Although I have nobody in the household using outlets in the garage, I am planning on leaving the little 6-20 to 5-15 adapter on the EVSE plug (tape it), esp. when unplugged - should it be unplugged when not in use?
Not nessicary to unplug. No problem with the car plugged in when charged. Even though it's higher power device, treat EVSE just like a cell phone charger: semi-permanently connected to the socket on the wall, plug in the device when necessary, leave connected even if charged.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not at all. In fact, the manual says to leave it plugged in for extreme temperatures both directions. I had a steep-ish driveway that I could not get the Bolt up last winter. So it was parked...plugged in (set to 75%)...for 4 months. Even my 4x4 had a wild ride getting up that driveway.
It's not charging the whole time. I guess it does it's usual battery temperature management and then recharges back that bit.
Thank you! Also, what is the drawback on charging a battery to above 80%, since it seems to be the common approach?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Thank you! Also, what is the drawback on charging a battery to above 80%, since it seems to be the common approach?
Generally speaking it's harder on the battery to sit around at a full charge, and if it's at that level all the time then it will wear out more quickly.

GM mitigates this by hiding some of the battery capacity - when you charge the car to 100% the battery isn't really at its ultimate capacity - you could probably charge it up to 103 to 105% if the car's charging software limits were overridden. The means that you can't charge the car to the point where it suffers from the worst battery degradation.

Still, the general belief is that it's better for the battery to avoid fully charging the car if you don't really need to do so. Just how much easier this is on the battery and what the penalty would be if you ignore the advice is anyone's guess.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts