Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone had any experience using the stock EVSE overseas. I know the charger can be used at 220, but I'm unsure how it would work on a UK style plug which I think are limited to 10A. I'm moving to UAE and don't need fast charging. Worst case, I can buy an aftermarket cord with a UK three prong or stop by the local Chevy dealership. I'd prefer to be cheap and use/modify what I have.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello. I spent a few years working out of the World Trade Center in Dubai and can suggest the following.

Make a jumper cord for the stock EV charger using the BS 1363 plug. I recall our apartment limited these to 13 to 15A. This should exceed the 12A limit of the stock charger and give you double the charging speed or at least 2.6kW. The stock adapter will work 50/60Hz and 120-240V.

There are some higher current options that we had with stoves or flash water heaters based on the BS 546 standard. This family comes in a variety of sized and can go to 30A (7.6 kW)

Making a British Standard to US adapter should not be difficult. Many forum members have described the procedures. You should arrive ready to go in the UAE with the simple BS1363 adapter.

If all else fails, just drive to al-Sharjah industrial area and ask some of the electrical supply stores. These owners are very resourceful and will find an item to sell you. They may even adapt the US EVSE while you wait.

Good luck and enjoy the Emirates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May seem like a dumb question, but would a heavy duty plug adapter work with the EVSE? I can wire a pigtail after I get there, but would it be necessary with a 13A fused plug adapter?

·
Registered
195 Posts
May seem like a dumb question, but would a heavy duty plug adapter work with the EVSE? I can wire a pigtail after I get there, but would it be necessary with a 13A fused plug adapter?
Really not a bad question. The stock EVSE is limited to 12A, either 120 or 240V. A heavy duty plug adapter will give you more current than it needs but will not make the EVSE exceed its limits.

This depends on what is available at your parking location. If it is the very standard BS 1363 at 13A, stay with the simplest solution. If you find your garage area has the BS 546 higher current sockets, make a pigtail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts