Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2020 Bolt LT a couple of weeks ago. I've been experimenting a bit with range and terrain, driving technique, and all that.

I was driving from Middlebury Vermont over to Montpelier, in central Vermont, and I decided to stop by a friend's place and go over the Appalachian Gap, Route 17, past Mad River Glen, just as a hill climbing test. The App Gap drive starts at the intersection of 116 and 17, at the north end of Bristol. Elevation 636 feet. The peak of the App Gap is 11 miles from there at 2369 feet, a climb of 1733 feet. Then 6 miles down to Waitsfield at 755 feet.

Much of the upper part of this road is a series of S-curves and hairpins that have to be negotiated at less than 20 mph. Some of the lower stretches allow for as much as 40 mph. It's a good test of handling as well. About a third of the way up the east side I made a 1.6 mile round trip to my friend's house and back to Rt 17. So, 18.6 miles total.

The temperature was in the low 30s, with mostly dry roads. The Bolt handled all the S-curves well. I stayed at or under the speed limit the whole way, driving in L mode for maximum regen. I never punched it, but I didn't crawl, either. Just a normal drive over the Gap.

The GOM was reading 172 miles at the start. At the peak of the gap the GOM was down to 141. When I got to Waitsfield it was back up to 155. So,

18.6 miles
1733 feet up, costing 31 GOM miles
1614 feet down, for a net gain of 119 feet, regaining 14 GOM miles, for a net of minus 17 GOM miles.

That strikes me as a good job by the regen. Given the vagaries of the GOM algorithm, I'd call that a wash.

Now I need to drive it the other way to see what difference a shorter, steeper climb makes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Since you're in VT, what's the DL on the EVGo in Middlebury? They claim that it has been fixed, but there have been no check-ins on plugshare. I will be needing that one and/or Williston tomorrow, and the PlugShare state of both of them has me concerned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you're in VT, what's the DL on the EVGo in Middlebury? They claim that it has been fixed, but there have been no check-ins on plugshare. I will be needing that one and/or Williston tomorrow, and the PlugShare state of both of them has me concerned.
I'm assuming you mean the Level 3 on Mill Street. Last I checked, a couple of weeks ago, it was still out of order. The Level 2 plugs were working, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd compare your results with estimates from ABRP. Then post your findings. It's helpful for other newbies.

Paul
I put the route in ABRP with the side trip. Starting at 95% charge it estimated that I would end up with an 87% charge, with an efficiency of 3.7 mi/kWh. Tiddling the numbers with my initial 172 GOM miles, it puts me at 157.5 GOM miles at the end. Not bad.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't use GOM miles. I use miles on the odometer and kWh consumed and compare that with the dash mi/kWh then compare that with ABRP. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the Level 3 on Mill Street. Last I checked, a couple of weeks ago, it was still out of order. The Level 2 plugs were working, though.
That's the one. A comment on PlugShare (from EVGo) on 2/21 said it has been repaired. I just checked again, and a Bolt checked in with a successful charge today! Good news for me. It would be a long wait sitting at the L2 to gain enough to get to Burlington, Stowe, Burlington, and back to Middlebury!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one. A comment on PlugShare (from EVGo) on 2/21 said it has been repaired. I just checked again, and a Bolt checked in with a successful charge today! Good news for me. It would be a long wait sitting at the L2 to gain enough to get to Burlington, Stowe, Burlington, and back to Middlebury!
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use GOM miles. I use miles on the odometer and kWh consumed and compare that with the dash mi/kWh then compare that with ABRP. ;)

Paul
I am still figuring out this car. I used to build them back in the 90s, but the metering was as much by instinct as actual numbers. We were converting gas cars into lead sleds with just volt and amp meters. The level of functionality in this thing is absurd.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Understood. When you get into it more, pick up the thread on how to use Torque Pro, the OBD reader, and get your head to swimming with more data.

Here's an example of what I meant above. We just drove a return trip of 250 miles. The first leg took us down to about 20% SOC as estimated by ABRP. But we changed the route and stopped earlier to experiment with a solar power station. It only gives 30 kW so we didn't want to stay a long time as we had to get home. So I used ABRP to give us what we needed to arrive at 10%. We charged to that level and . . . and arrived with 10%. So our mi/kWh matched that of ABRP. I then used the new version of the Chevy App to see what their estimate would have given us. It was off by nearly 10%--nearly 6 kWh. Eric (1%) Way would have been ok with that but that's much too close for my comfort. ;)

Using ABRP and knowing the car gives us confidence in planning--and changing the plan as needed.

Paul

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good to know, thanks.
Middlebury CCS does in fact work. I used it twice this weekend.

Also, my Bolt made it over the Appalachian Gap just fine. The Subaru in front of me had far more issues, cementing my belief that good snow tires are far more important than AWD in the snow.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Middlebury CCS does in fact work. I used it twice this weekend.

Also, my Bolt made it over the Appalachian Gap just fine. The Subaru in front of me had far more issues, cementing my belief that good snow tires are far more important than AWD in the snow.
100% agree with this, snow tires are fantastic. I prefer AWD with snow tires for snow conditions, but even with 2WD they make a huge difference.

For those who have never used snow tires, just remember... you need to get them on all 4 wheels, not just on the drive wheels.

Keith

·
Registered
758 Posts
AWD + Snow tires is the ideal for sure. But FWD + Snow tires is much better than AWD + All season tires.

When I was younger and had less income, I tried to save money by only putting snow tires on the drive wheels. I learned really quickly that that's a formula for spinning out of control. Fortunately I didn't hit anyone, and went right out and bought two more snow tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts