Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having recent problems with my (just over) one year old VersiCharge US2 VC30 EVSE that is installed in a relative's home for our use during our occasional visits. I've probably been there fewer than 20 days since it was installed last May. I moved up to a new 2020 BoltEV in January (after a few years with a BMW i3) and it seems like the 'issues' that Im having with the VersiCharge started with my BoltEV visits. When I plug in, I get the distinctive 'thunk' sound and charges fine to whatever Target Charge state I have set. On occasion, and there's no good reason for this IMO, after sitting for several hours plugged in at it's 'full charge' level, the unit goes into the 'red halo' Fault #4 mode. The only way that I can get the unit back to normal and be able to function again is to pull the wall plug, wait for a bit, and plug it back in. It's then 'good to go' for the next charge and the same thing MAY happen. It just seems to be a totally random occurrence but usually in the middle of the night and after the full charge. The unit is installed indoors in the basement garage, high and dry. I called Siemens and spoke with a technician there and he claims that there is an 'issue' with 2020 BoltEVs (and some Teslas oddly) with the vehicle creating some kind of 'Event' after fully charging that is sensed by the Siemens EVSE as a ground fault (or something like that). He told me that Tesla issued an update that seems to have solved that issue for their owners. It seems to me that Siemens is attempting to hand the problem off to GM and I'm not sure how I can get this issue resolved. I have a Clipper Creek unit installed at home here that has always been 'rock solid', does what it's supposed to do without any 'GFI Event' issues in the middle of the night. Anyone have any of these same issues with your VersiCharge units or any other thoughts on this one? Thanks in advance ....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sorry you are having problems. My 30 amp, plugged, non-WiFi Siemens VersiCharge has never failed in over 3 years. My 2017 Bolt EV cannot be programmed with a "Target Charge" and I wonder if it is something in this circuitry that the Siemens was not programmed to handle. Of course, you do have a much newer model and perhaps it WAS designed to handle a SoC cutoff. Try turning OFF the target charge settings (in the EV) as a diagnostic function. I am guessing that your Bolt charges just fine on all the other AC Level 2 EVSE that you use.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt LT
105 Posts
You didn't mention in your description but do you happen to have an Electric Rate Preference set up in your Bolt's charging menu? I'm not sure how the 2020 Bolt settings work but it is well documented in this forum that the VersiCharge does not play well with this feature of the Bolt. The Siemens threw a fault every time I tried to charge using the OFF PEAK ONLY selection on my 2018 LT. My Versicharge became a charge cord parts donor when I replaced it with an OpenEVSE kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didn't mention in your description but do you happen to have an Electric Rate Preference set up in your Bolt's charging menu? I'm not sure how the 2020 Bolt settings work but it is well documented in this forum that the VersiCharge does not play well with this feature of the Bolt. The Siemens threw a fault every time I tried to charge using the OFF PEAK ONLY selection on my 2018 LT. My Versicharge became a charge cord parts donor when I replaced it with an OpenEVSE kit.
Thanks for the reply and thoughts. No, I don't have any preferences set for delayed or OFF Peak Only charging. Here the costs are the same regardless of time of charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry you are having problems. My 30 amp, plugged, non-WiFi Siemens VersiCharge has never failed in over 3 years. My 2017 Bolt EV cannot be programmed with a "Target Charge" and I wonder if it is something in this circuitry that the Siemens was not programmed to handle. Of course, you do have a much newer model and perhaps it WAS designed to handle a SoC cutoff. Try turning OFF the target charge settings (in the EV) as a diagnostic function. I am guessing that your Bolt charges just fine on all the other AC Level 2 EVSE that you use.
I'm thinking that the Target Charge setting replaced Hilltop Reserve (if that's what I'm remembering it being called for earlier BoltEVs). It's going to be a while before I can experiment as I'm now back home with my always reliable ClipperCreek. I'd hate to have to set the Target Charge to 100% and lose the Regen Braking during short outings ... Thanks for the thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts