Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
chevy did such an awesome job on this car - they covered all the details - it's just so gratifying to see Chevy pursue this as a serious effort - they put sooo much thought into this car and shamelessly stole best practices (as they should and anyone would do) to move the industry forward - I sincerely hope sales continue and increase…

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chevy did such an awesome job on this car - they covered all the details - it's just so gratifying to see Chevy pursue this as a serious effort - they put sooo much thought into this car and shamelessly stole best practices (as they should and anyone would do) to move the industry forward - I sincerely hope sales continue and increase…
Yeah, I don't know how I didn't find this video until now. It is an amazing and fascinating watch though. I hope they continue to put the same effort into future revisions of the car and hopefully more EV models from them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wish the people at the dealership I went to knew about 1% of that guys knowledge of the Bolt. The lead salesman told me I needed to get oil changes, I told him he really needs to take a class on EV's.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish the people at the dealership I went to knew about 1% of that guys knowledge of the Bolt. The lead salesman told me I needed to get oil changes, I told him he really needs to take a class on EV's.
Oh my, he thought the Bolt needed oil changes, that is special.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I keep getting flyers in the mail from my dealer for specials on oil changes! I guess some habits are hard to break.
That one I can understand, I mean they just put your name on a mailing list at that point and the things sent out are usually not targeted to a car but just the owner.

·
Registered
782 Posts
my Dealer tried to sell me the pre-paid maintain plan - they said it was the best deals - it included:

oil change for four years
oil filters
fuel system cleaning + injectors twice
inspect and replace all worn belts/hoses
radiator flushing
alternator checks for battery longevity
brake pads
new battery (12 volt) if needed (unlimited)
included fuel treatment bottles
tranmission and differential fluid swaps at 3 years or 32,000 mile
and some other stuff

it was fun!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my Dealer tried to sell me the pre-paid maintain plan - they said it was the best deals - it included:

oil change for four years
oil filters
fuel system cleaning + injectors twice
inspect and replace all worn belts/hoses
radiator flushing
alternator checks for battery longevity
brake pads
new battery (12 volt) if needed (unlimited)
included fuel treatment bottles
tranmission and differential fluid swaps at 3 years or 32,000 mile
and some other stuff

it was fun!
Goodness you also had a special dealer. When I bought mine I remember my dealer saying. I guess I can't sell you any of these service packages for stuff your car doesn't even have.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting on the 1.6 kW 12V supply...

Thats north of 125 amps of 12v. More than I would have guessed... And water cooled as well!
Yeah, it makes me want to get the correct inverter so I could use my Bolt as a generator for the house when the power goes out.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Cool. Now I have slight clue about what those silver boxes under the hood are. I feel so ignorant in that regard. For the last 40 years I've been the guy telling other people what all that stuff under the hood of an ICE car is, what they do and why they're there. Now I'm the clueless guy with my own car. I got some learnin' to do!! :laugh:

I think I might actually like to buy the service manuals for the Bolt even though I'm not likely to use them much. It's a great way to learn. I imagine they are pricey as usual.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting seeing the DCFC connection, makes me think it would be possible to install the capability post sale. Either the box is the same and it only requires additional wiring up of the DCFC port or a combination of a different model "silver box" and wiring.

Why does it matter? Bound to be some wrecked Bolts where some of these parts could be had for reasonable prices at some point. Obviously worth the $750 as opposed to a DIY job unless it really is just a wiring harness and new DCFC port.

Makes me wonder what is the minimum set of parts from a Bolt are needed to assemble your own 1.6kW/60kWh home power system.

There will be zero demand for salvage parts for repairs for at least the first 3 years, that spells opportunity as a salvage yard isn't going to see a lot of demand for the parts.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I ended up buying this inverter - went slightly higher than 1.6 kw - in that the 12volt batter will work as a buffer for temporary higher demand while the 60 kWH battery back fills at 1.6 kw

I'll let this thread know how it works…

·
Registered
782 Posts
with the proper inverter - it kinda makes the Bolt the most awesome camping machine on the planet - picture having 30 kwh of AC power while camping (I say 30 because you're going to consume some power getting to/from the camp ground) - but a lot campground market areas now have EV chargers - so you could charge the Bolt and use it at night for a few days to run lights and such…

1,500 watts of AC power is a real luxury while camping…and it's silent so no one will mind if you leave you "generator" running all night.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
with the proper inverter - it kinda makes the Bolt the most awesome camping machine on the planet - picture having 30 kwh of AC power while camping (I say 30 because you're going to consume some power getting to/from the camp ground) - but a lot campground market areas now have EV chargers - so you could charge the Bolt and use it at night for a few days to run lights and such…

1,500 watts of AC power is a real luxury while camping…and it's silent so no one will mind if you leave you "generator" running all night.
Yeah, didn't think about that as well. Amazing camping generator :)

Look forward to hearing how that inverter treats you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting seeing the DCFC connection, makes me think it would be possible to install the capability post sale. Either the box is the same and it only requires additional wiring up of the DCFC port or a combination of a different model "silver box" and wiring.

Why does it matter? Bound to be some wrecked Bolts where some of these parts could be had for reasonable prices at some point. Obviously worth the $750 as opposed to a DIY job unless it really is just a wiring harness and new DCFC port.

Makes me wonder what is the minimum set of parts from a Bolt are needed to assemble your own 1.6kW/60kWh home power system.

There will be zero demand for salvage parts for repairs for at least the first 3 years, that spells opportunity as a salvage yard isn't going to see a lot of demand for the parts.
Bolt based powerwall :)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

I'm not sure what you're running at your campsite, but most of the popular appliances are available in 12v DC. It seems a better way to go than inverting to AC.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts