Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st time owner of an EV, and after ~580 miles I’m VERY impressed with the car. The fit and finish is well executed and I’m just starting to get used to ‘charge limits’(80%) for extending life of the battery pack, ChargePoint station use, Volta stations, and getting 4.8m/kWh usage vs an ICE vehicle.

Also, having 266 ft. Lbs of torque from a dead stop... smoothness of power application with no transmission... and a comfortable ride to boot!

Sorry for the ‘Usain’BoltEV‘ handle’, but after I let my daughter take the new car for a drive, she was surprised at the responsiveness of this little bugger!!! She was the one who nicknamed it ‘Usain’Bolt... 😉

Impressed! 😊

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome XJ12! I’ve got quite a lot to learn about EV’s before I take the Bolt EV on an extended trip. I just installed a L2 charger in the garage and that has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased my charge times (as expected).

I’m curious how much my Chicagoland winters will impact range... Seems like a 20-25% decrease in range is what I’ll need to adjust to.

BTW, the INSTANT throttle response/torque already saved my butt yesterday when I was at a very busy intersection... and a driver decided to run a red light (at speed) and almost T-boned me on my passenger side!

Luckily that instant torque of the Bolt EV
got me out of a very nasty predicament. 🙏🏻😉

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
Seems like a 20-25% decrease in range is what I’ll need to adjust to.
That sounds right if you use heating sparingly. If you have heated seats and steering, you will be fine without heat as long as it is above 20-30F and the drive is relatively short.

With generous cabin heating, expect 40% or more loss of range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info ARob! I’ll most certainly do some winter range tests as the weather gets cooler here in Chicagoland.

Currently, I’ve been getting a consistent 4.8 miles/ kWh in initial interstate driving ... with 70 deg temps and AC off (55 mph) with cruise ON.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
Thanks for the info ARob! I’ll most certainly do some winter range tests as the weather gets cooler here in Chicagoland.

Currently, I’ve been getting a consistent 4.8 miles/ Kw in initial interstate driving ... with 70 deg temps and AC off (55 mph) with cruise ON.
Yup, I did a trip to Steamboat Springs for Labor Day. 4.8 on both 236 mile legs, the slow weekend traffic kept average speeds 45 or so, probably averaging 55 for the whole leg. At that efficiency, I got home with 7% and no charge stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts