Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered that I can save YouTube videos (live concerts, etc.) in .mp4 format using an OS X app called Airy. There are several other ways to do this as well for Mac and PC. I copied the .mp4 files onto a Lexar 32 GB USB drive. They are all listed in good detail under the Gallery icon. Like on YouTube, they play in small or full screen (use the toggle button at bottom left of screen) and if the source audio quality is good (example Steely Dan Plush TV), you won't be disappointed. Why watch video in the car? To pass the time while charging, waiting for someone, etc. One safety caveat: video is blocked and audio continues while driving, but when you stop for traffic, etc., the video kicks in again until you start driving again. So if you are more interested in just the audio from YouTube and being able to listen safely while driving, use Airy to save as .mp3 instead. Airy is a one time cost of US $20. I have no affiliation with Airy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yup. There are other free tools that download from YouTube too.

Great thing about the Bolt is that the cabin heating/cooling works too with it being 'on' - which really just means the HV is connected. Unlike a gas car which sits there and rumbles, spewing smog and the AC doesn't work well. So I'll sometimes sit inside, cosy and snug, and watch videos, work or study.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Handy if you'r ever charging, but not something I'd try while driving but that's down to preference. I'd probably keep looking over every time the car stops. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Handy if you'r ever charging, but not something I'd try while driving but that's down to preference. I'd probably keep looking over every time the car stops. :D
The screen reverts to the Home screen or whatever, but the audio continues (then as OP said the video plays again when you are near stopping). I don't find it distracting, works really naturally. I put lectures up from classes I'm taking. I actually prefer it, I have to reconstruct whatever the professor is writing (which usually isn't hard) and it keeps more more focused on what they are saying than I would otherwise. Coursera mp4 videos play with no changes. And when I'm stopped at a light it gives me a chance to get visually caught up. Genius design really, I think they perfected it.

Neat trick about the maximize button, I'll try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts