Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a similar issue on the Bolt, with regard to the Voice Command button (on the steering wheel) and how the Bolt responds?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which I've paired to my Bolt Premier ("Infotainment" package). When I attempt to use the Bolts Voice Command button on the steering column, I'll get one of two responses:

Normal: The microphone symbol comes up on the Infotainment screen, the audible beep happens and the system awaits my command (e.g. "Call home"). My phone then responds properly and dials home.

Abnormal: The microphone symbol comes up only momentarily and Google Assistant on my phone shows as activated - and my phone awaits my input command. It's as if the phone is somehow overriding the Bolts normal response to the Voice Command button.

Troubleshooting I've done: I've unpaired / removed / re-paired my phone with the Bolt multiple times, yet the behavior remains the same: inconsistent function of the Bolt's Voice Command button.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the voice button is supposed to have two modes: short press and long press. Short press should be for making phone calls. Long press should be for activating the Google Assistant/Siri for voice commands.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I never got my voice commands to work right. I, too, removed and reinstalled Android Auto. This, combined with poor map display options led me to buy the Garmin DriveSmart51. It sits unobtrusively on the dash and enables me to use voice activation of routes & voice activated phone calling, and gives me superior mapping and distance to go info (nice for EV touring). I have my iPod plugged in constantly and listen either to iTunes or SXM radio as I travel. For me, this works best, but different strokes fit different folks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've found that I hold the button down while giving the command and then let it go when done and it seems to work. Otherwise I ran into what you did with it sometimes staying open and other times closing shortly after taking my finger off the button. I've also found there's often a 1 sec or so delay between pressing the button and when the phone registers it.

I've since switched to using Android Auto, and just saying "ok google" works maybe 50% of the time without pressing the button.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've never tried a long press of the steering wheel button, but a short press always brings up the phone menu on the infotainment display.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android Auto installed and it works great with voice commands. I just say "OK Google", the display shows some circling dots to indicate it's listening, and then I ask it for what I want. I can ask it to navigate, I can ask it what the winds are like (in case they affect my range), I can even ask it to send a text message. Every once in a while it will complain about a lack of internet connection, and when I sent text messages it sometimes includes the last few words of its own prompt as the first part of the reply - but overall I find that it's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I do the OK Google thing too. but I have to say that lately it has been having issues. Starting last week it wouldn't 'hear' me when said to send message, or it has been adding in 'what is the message, before every text I send out via voice.

Also the last 3 days AA is not popping up and getting a black screen. Thought maybe I was plugging in phone at that time or something.

I wonder if the New Update would fix this?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
...it has been adding in 'what is the message, before every text I send out via voice.
I had that problem for the first few messages I sent - it's hearing its own voice prompting for the message. For the last few messages I deliberately waited for a second or two before dictating my message, and that seems to have fixed the issue for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts