Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

voice commands don't work if you disable onstar

13K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  gaulfinger 
It may be necessary on this car to replace the antenna connection for both cellular (and optionally GPS) in the shark fin with a 50 ohm dummy load to maintain full functionality of the infotainment system without the risks of putting your car on a network in this case. I mention GPS because it very well could be data logged and collected during dealer service or potentially during DC fast charging as that is also a networked activity - merely delaying the tracking intrusion rather than eliminating it. Alternatively a metallic shield installed over the fin might work for a quick and dirty solution if both system antennas are in that fin.

*Not sure where the Fob antenna is in this car either, going to have to pick up a service manual soon!

I think the arguments are weak, professor. Data is valuable, both for sales and for internal development purposes, there is no reason to suspect a company with a network of automobiles wouldn't exploit that to its full advantage over time.

We already understand the threat model of cell phones quite well, and that can be addressed by each individual to their own specification. We don't have a full picture of the networked automobile, yet - which is why we should perform our own due diligence on this new data collection point in our lives.

Buying "non-networked" or non-Onstar autos is not going to be an option much longer for most or all major manufacturers, the hardware is too cheap and the opportunities too rich to ignore. Generally when I do pen testing I don't follow the third parties "privacy policy" I collect it all and exploit everything I can - the usual M.O. of any network intrusion.

Ignoring the risks will be the most common response for the average consumer, this is well understood by the manufacturers and "big brother" as it were - convenience trumps all. I prefer to do a shade more diligence on my part for my networked 3600 lb. missile due to my particular background, I find it interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.