Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2017 Volt. I absolutely love it. The one thing I wish it had was more electric. Once the gas kicks in you really start to realize the noise is a nuisance.

I’ve been thinking in a few years I may want to upgrade to a BEV. Ideally it would be less than $15k so my upgrade cost would be minimal. I’ve reviewed the Niro and Kona but I fear the small production numbers means finding used ones will be as challenging as buying new.

Anyone go from a Volt to a Bolt? Let me know your reason and how it’s been since. Are road trips possible without too much delay DCFC?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I went from a Prius C to a Bolt. Like you, I was annoyed every time the engine came on. The Prius C was lucky if it managed to go beyond 1 km on battery power alone, and then only if you didn't need to accelerate or tackle any sort of uphill grade.

I had my eye on the Volt for a few years but when the Bolt was announced with almost 400km of range I knew that was what I really wanted. I knew from my Prius C experience that the Volt would end up being just as annoying whenever that engine came on. No worries about that with the Bolt!

I've been on several road trips. If you're in a hurry then you'll probably be disappointed, but my trips are more relaxed and I've usually been able to do something useful with the time I've spent charging so it doesn't seem like such an imposition. I usually spend the time either eating or occasionally taking a nap so that I'm fresh and alert when I pull back onto the highway. I've placed a book of short stories in the car with the idea that it could me occupied while waiting to charge, but so far I haven't cracked the cover...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got out of a 2017 volt and into a 2020 Bolt. I had my reservations initially, particularly on the form factor. I thought the Volt was a good looking car but the bolt not so much. I was also worried that the bolt was smaller. I was wrong on both counts. The Bolts appearance has Def grown on me and it is Def larger inside than the Volt. I know this for a fact because I put car seats in the back and did not have to slide my seat up. Plus the kids had room overhead.

I have 0 regrets nows. I love the car. I think it offers a tremendous value compared to the Tesla 3. I got a premiere that had a similar msrp to a mid-grade Tesla 3 and pay 60% less for the same range.

I would Def make the switch, especially with the deals that gm is currently offering. I am very happy with this car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I loved a optioned out 2014 Gen 1 Volt. I probably would still be driving it if I didn't know someone who really needed a replacement vehicle so they could get to work.

I was already considering moving fully to electric (except for my yearly truck rental for doing once a year truck things.) However with the Volt and my driving pattern, I was actively wasting gas because my normal trips were fully covered by the battery. For those unfamiliar with both generations of the Volt: they prevent fuel system varnish and build up of stale gas by forcing you to burn it if it is not regularly used. Which is a good and prudent measure.

In my defence, my round trip every day is 38.5 miles and I bought the Volt based on that model year estimated range: 38 miles. I figured I would regularly use some gas due to traffic or weather. Fortunately /unfortunately this was not often the case. Somehow I always get better economy out of cars, with my Volt regularly claiming 48 miles per charge.

Going full electric has, in my case, likely reduced my local contribution to Central Texas' crappy air quality. In addition, the gift of this car to someone with less income might have converted them to hybrids or electrics in future. They regularly happily talk about how their employer has free charging stations and how they didn't realize how much they were regularly spending money and time in gas stations.

But of course to be really American about it, I guess I should segue to how it benefits me.

My Bolt is also so much more fun to drive. The turning radius is better. It is easier to park and doesn't scrape on every molehill I encounter. It seats five. The only real negative is that the Gen 1 Volt climate control was much better at keeping a constant temperature in the car and had an additional Eco setting that was very thrifty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I loved a optioned out 2014 Gen 1 Volt. I probably would still be driving it if I didn't know someone who really needed a replacement vehicle so they could get to work.

I was already considering moving fully to electric (except for my yearly truck rental for doing once a year truck things.) However with the Volt and my driving pattern, I was actively wasting gas because my normal trips were fully covered by the battery. For those unfamiliar with both generations of the Volt: they prevent fuel system varnish and build up of stale gas by forcing you to burn it if it is not regularly used. Which is a good and prudent measure.

In my defence, my round trip every day is 38.5 miles and I bought the Volt based on that model year estimated range: 38 miles. I figured I would regularly use some gas due to traffic or weather. Fortunately /unfortunately this was not often the case. Somehow I always get better economy out of cars, with my Volt regularly claiming 48 miles per charge.

Going full electric has, in my case, likely reduced my local contribution to Central Texas' crappy air quality. In addition, the gift of this car to someone with less income might have converted them to hybrids or electrics in future. They regularly happily talk about how their employer has free charging stations and how they didn't realize how much they were regularly spending money and time in gas stations.

But of course to be really American about it, I guess I should segue to how it benefits me.

My Bolt is also so much more fun to drive. The turning radius is better. It is easier to park and doesn't scrape on every molehill I encounter. It seats five. The only real negative is that the Gen 1 Volt climate control was much better at keeping a constant temperature in the car and had an additional Eco setting that was very thrifty.
I agree that he Gen 1 Volt was very high quality build. I had a gen 1 and gen 2 volt and the gen 1 was a much better car in terms of quality. Never had a single issue with it, unlike the gen 2 where i had a stalling issue when the car switched from electric to gas. I feel that the gen 2 was cheapened to lighten the car up and get more range out of it. Regardless, GM did not get recognition they deserved for the Volt. I switched to the Bolt as well because after viewing my driving patterns i realized i was on electricity almost all the time - after 3 years i had driven 33,000 miles and of them 28,000 were driven on electricity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got out of a 2017 volt and into a 2020 Bolt. I had my reservations initially, particularly on the form factor. I thought the Volt was a good looking car but the bolt not so much. I was also worried that the bolt was smaller. I was wrong on both counts. The Bolts appearance has Def grown on me and it is Def larger inside than the Volt. I know this for a fact because I put car seats in the back and did not have to slide my seat up. Plus the kids had room overhead.

I have 0 regrets nows. I love the car. I think it offers a tremendous value compared to the Tesla 3. I got a premiere that had a similar msrp to a mid-grade Tesla 3 and pay 60% less for the same range.

I would Def make the switch, especially with the deals that gm is currently offering. I am very happy with this car.
Did not know the Bolt was larger. I always thought it was smaller due to its appearance. Good to know as the Volt is fine for two people and luggage but as soon as my family grows, we will need more space. Though I would only intend on using the Bolt locally and occasionally regionally.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Did not know the Bolt was larger. I always thought it was smaller due to its appearance.
IMHO the volt suffers quite a bit from the battery tunnel down the middle of the vehicle. Since the Bolt's battery is entirely below the floor and under the rear seat it has a lot more usable space. It seats 5 people a lot more comfortably, that's for sure.

I was also very displeased with the rear visibility in the Volt. The Bolt's rear window is a fair bit better, and the rear camera mirror is unsurpassed IMHO.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
I have been a huge Volt fan. It's great technology and has a role in the spectrum of driving needs. We had three in the family from 2012-2019 for me, my wife, and son. I had the same impression as you - once the gas kicked in, the magic faded a bit. But there is a little more to the story on why we switched away from the Volt.

We got our first BEV in early 2017 as a third vehicle: a used 2014 Spark EV for our daughter. Then I got a Bolt EV later that year for myself. Besides "no more gas hassle and noise" at all, we got it because of one flaw in the Volt formula: it's just too low for my aging back. I would often hit my head on the low door jam, or hurt my back trying to bend too much to get into the low seats. We held out for the Gen 2 Volt to be better, but the ONE thing not improved in the Gen 2 was height. The Spark EV is great on height, but the he Bolt EV solves all of that.

The Bolt EV is way more practical in size and shape than the Volt, plus loads of fun. I love it, except for the front seats. Even with seat mods I made day one of ownership, it's merely "okay" for driver comfort. For short rides I don't mind, but it still wears thin (pardon the pun) on longer rides. Longer being defined for me as over 40-45 minutes at a stretch.

But I expect that by "long trip" you mean hundreds of miles? Yeah, been there, done that. My longest trip has been 690 miles one-way when we moved from the Fort Worth area to Memphis. It should have been closer to 500 miles. But par for the CCS fast-charger experience, we had to plan charging stops and drive from stop to stop. You tend to connect the dots between chargers more than travel in straight lines. We did the trip in 2018 and the charger infrastructure has improved since then. But there are still regions where the CCS infrastructure still is lacking (e.g. Mississippi Delta region, the Dakotas). Plan carefully and expect - at least in some areas of the country - to have to use another car for some long trips.

We sold our last Volt last summer and our Spark EV + Bolt EV have fared quite well. Day-to-day the Bolt EV totally rocks the range and usability. Whomever in the family needs to drive more for the day gets the Bolt EV. The Spark EV is left to the 2nd driver with shorter trips. My wife often is playing family uber driver and dropping me off at the office so that she can make other trips with the Bolt. As a family, we usually drive 30-40 miles a day on the Bolt and 10-15 on the Spark. A long day is about a 100 miles.

We have plotted several weekend getaway trips, like Memphis to St. Louis, where we still have to delay by several hours playing connect-the-dots with available chargers... Another trip would be to the Gulf coast, but we can't get there without planning an overnight stay in Jackson, MS. Since leaving Texas, we're just too close to one of the nation's CCS deserts.

I've driven a 2020 Bolt EV and appreciate the extra range - and the seats are a little better. It would deal with the gaps in CCS chargers along our mid-south highways better than our '17. And the seats are be a bit more comfortable. We test drove one recently, as the family needs to get back to three cars again.

I encourage you to try a Bolt EV for an extended test drive and check out the seats. Also take a look at Plugshare for the CCS chargers in the regions you're likely to travel. The Bolt EV is an amazing value for the right circumstances.

For our family and region, I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model Y. At least here in the mid-south, the Supercharger network is way more developed than CCS and the car should be more comfortable for long trips. We'll keep both of our other BEVs. The wife and kids will continue to drive them commuting to shops, work, and grad school. But the Y will eventually be our family long-range hauler.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I had leased a 2017 Volt and, when the lease was up, started looking at all-electric, since the technology and range were so much better. Just picking up a 2020 Bolt tomorrow morning. I will echo the comment about more useable interior space than the Volt, as we also need a couple of car seats in it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt LT and a 2017 Bolt Primier. The Volt is a bit more "refined" with a bit better suspension. The infotainment on the Volt is a better than the Bolt (Surprisingly, quite a bit different). The seats in the Volt are much better but I fixed the 2017 Bolt's seats by having an upholistry shop add some padding. As far as travel, for me the 240 miles is quite a ways to be sitting so a 45 minute break every 4 hours is a welcome break. CCS charger are still a little weak in some areas but more on coming online all over the place. I plan trips by staying at hotels that offer level 2 chargers and can do 500 miles / day without too much inconvenience with a bit of planning. I really love my Bolt, my wife really loves her Volt so if your not really attached to the added ICE part's in the Volt, the Bolt is a great car. Seating is up higher, better rear visibility and more cargo space. The 2020 has 259 mile range so a bit better than the 2017-2019 model. I would test drive or rent a Bolt and see how you like it and go from there. If you take the plunge, I think you will be happy with a Bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been a huge Volt fan. It's great technology and has a role in the spectrum of driving needs. We had three in the family from 2012-2019 for me, my wife, and son. I had the same impression as you - once the gas kicked in, the magic faded a bit. But there is a little more to the story on why we switched away from the Volt.

We got our first BEV in early 2017 as a third vehicle: a used 2014 Spark EV for our daughter. Then I got a Bolt EV later that year for myself. Besides "no more gas hassle and noise" at all, we got it because of one flaw in the Volt formula: it's just too low for my aging back. I would often hit my head on the low door jam, or hurt my back trying to bend too much to get into the low seats. We held out for the Gen 2 Volt to be better, but the ONE thing not improved in the Gen 2 was height. The Spark EV is great on height, but the he Bolt EV solves all of that.

The Bolt EV is way more practical in size and shape than the Volt, plus loads of fun. I love it, except for the front seats. Even with seat mods I made day one of ownership, it's merely "okay" for driver comfort. For short rides I don't mind, but it still wears thin (pardon the pun) on longer rides. Longer being defined for me as over 40-45 minutes at a stretch.

But I expect that by "long trip" you mean hundreds of miles? Yeah, been there, done that. My longest trip has been 690 miles one-way when we moved from the Fort Worth area to Memphis. It should have been closer to 500 miles. But par for the CCS fast-charger experience, we had to plan charging stops and drive from stop to stop. You tend to connect the dots between chargers more than travel in straight lines. We did the trip in 2018 and the charger infrastructure has improved since then. But there are still regions where the CCS infrastructure still is lacking (e.g. Mississippi Delta region, the Dakotas). Plan carefully and expect - at least in some areas of the country - to have to use another car for some long trips.

We sold our last Volt last summer and our Spark EV + Bolt EV have fared quite well. Day-to-day the Bolt EV totally rocks the range and usability. Whomever in the family needs to drive more for the day gets the Bolt EV. The Spark EV is left to the 2nd driver with shorter trips. My wife often is playing family uber driver and dropping me off at the office so that she can make other trips with the Bolt. As a family, we usually drive 30-40 miles a day on the Bolt and 10-15 on the Spark. A long day is about a 100 miles.

We have plotted several weekend getaway trips, like Memphis to St. Louis, where we still have to delay by several hours playing connect-the-dots with available chargers... Another trip would be to the Gulf coast, but we can't get there without planning an overnight stay in Jackson, MS. Since leaving Texas, we're just too close to one of the nation's CCS deserts.

I've driven a 2020 Bolt EV and appreciate the extra range - and the seats are a little better. It would deal with the gaps in CCS chargers along our mid-south highways better than our '17. And the seats are be a bit more comfortable. We test drove one recently, as the family needs to get back to three cars again.

I encourage you to try a Bolt EV for an extended test drive and check out the seats. Also take a look at Plugshare for the CCS chargers in the regions you're likely to travel. The Bolt EV is an amazing value for the right circumstances.

For our family and region, I recently placed an order for a Tesla Model Y. At least here in the mid-south, the Supercharger network is way more developed than CCS and the car should be more comfortable for long trips. We'll keep both of our other BEVs. The wife and kids will continue to drive them commuting to shops, work, and grad school. But the Y will eventually be our family long-range hauler.
Super helpful! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2017 Volt LT and a 2017 Bolt Primier. The Volt is a bit more "refined" with a bit better suspension. The infotainment on the Volt is a better than the Bolt (Surprisingly, quite a bit different). The seats in the Volt are much better but I fixed the 2017 Bolt's seats by having an upholistry shop add some padding. As far as travel, for me the 240 miles is quite a ways to be sitting so a 45 minute break every 4 hours is a welcome break. CCS charger are still a little weak in some areas but more on coming online all over the place. I plan trips by staying at hotels that offer level 2 chargers and can do 500 miles / day without too much inconvenience with a bit of planning. I really love my Bolt, my wife really loves her Volt so if your not really attached to the added ICE part's in the Volt, the Bolt is a great car. Seating is up higher, better rear visibility and more cargo space. The 2020 has 259 mile range so a bit better than the 2017-2019 model. I would test drive or rent a Bolt and see how you like it and go from there. If you take the plunge, I think you will be happy with a Bolt.
When traveling 200+ miles, is it really 45 minutes to 70-80% with a DCFC? That’s going to be a hard sell on my wife. She’d rather only stop 10 minutes every 3 hours of driving. Personally, I like a 20 minute stop every 2. I hate siting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When traveling 200+ miles, is it really 45 minutes to 70-80% with a DCFC? That’s going to be a hard sell on my wife. She’d rather only stop 10 minutes every 3 hours of driving. Personally, I like a 20 minute stop every 2. I hate siting.
Sounds like your best bet is a Model 3 long range..... faster charge rate, easier to find supercharger locations right on the main screen. On the downside, you have to use the touchscreen to open the glove box.... (and do almost everything else because almost no buttons or knobs). Find one to test drive or rent so you can check it out to see if you like the design. A bit more money than you want to spend, but you have to pay for the longer range and charging infrastructure.
You can also just buy a Bolt and rent a gas car when you plan to take longer trips than you are comfortable with making in the BEV. IMHO, the Bolt is the best value at this time. In a few years, who knows.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently swapped my 2017 Volt for a 2020 Bolt Premier. This was not planned, but my dealer made me a deal that I just couldn't refuse. I am learning to like my Bolt - with a few reservations. I'm still a little self-conscious with the looks of my Bolt. The Volt was a really good looking car, while the Bolt looks like a munchkin. The suspension (ride) was better in the Volt. I do not find the seats in the Bolt as uncomfortable as some posters claim. I think the premier version of the Bolt has better seats. I like the all-electric drive better than the Volt - particular the one-peddle driving. The Bolt is much more rear seat leg room - at the expense of trunk space. I liked the way the back seats in the Volt could be folded flat which the Bolt's can not - they remain at an angle which makes it difficult to load items which need to remain flat, i.e. may cat carrier. The infotainment system in the Volt was more intuitive that in the Bolt. Apple Car Play works reasonably well however it is not as convenient as the built-in navigation system on the Volt. While 90% of my driving is within the range of the Bolt, I am surprised at how much of a hit the heating and air-conditioning systems cause. Turning on either reduces my estimated range by 30 miles. On the other hand, the heated seats and steering wheel work well in the winter, but with such large windows, AC is a necessity in the summer. Those large windows are nice however providing better visibility and fewer blind spots. While I miss my Volt, I don't think I would go back.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I went from a 2017 Volt to a 2019 Bolt and I'm happy with the change. After 2 years driving the Volt and only going far enough to kick in the ICE two times, I figured it made sense. It didn't make sense to have the maintenance of the ICE in the Volt when it was never being used yet still needed to come on once a month to maintain itself and having to run all the gas out of the tank once a year for fuel management mode.

Glad to be on all electric.

Mike

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I went from a 2017 Volt to a 2019 Bolt and I'm happy with the change. After 2 years driving the Volt and only going far enough to kick in the ICE two times, I figured it made sense. It didn't make sense to have the maintenance of the ICE in the Volt when it was never being used yet still needed to come on once a month to maintain itself and having to run all the gas out of the tank once a year for fuel management mode.

Glad to be on all electric.

Mike
Similar situation for me, lugging around an ICE engine and paying for the maintenance on it when I wasn't actually ever using it was silly, and having it turn itself on and burn gasoline when I didn't need it too for cold temperatures was infuriating. I would love to have the Volt's ICE and control electronics mounted on a trailer that I could drag around behind the Bolt when making a cross country trip though.

Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. My wife and I started driving Volts back in 2013, each getting a Premier. Best cars we had ever owned up to that point, and I came from a Lexus LS430. We drove the heck out of them and never had a single problem. I upgraded to a Volt Premier in 2017 and was even more amazed at how good it was. I have a 50 mile commute and was able to do it on pure electricity, even though I have to climb up and down a 1400 foot grade. So, after 40,000 miles in three years, I had driven about 80% on electrons.

I, unlike many here, believe that the Voltec powertrain was the ultimate solution. I was always amazed that GM never developed it further. Imagine a small SUV like the Trax with a 45-50 mile range on pure EV, but getting 40 mpg on the highway for the the 15-20% of the time that people need to go on longer drives. To me, the perfect vehicle. The advantage of the Voltec was the ability to be a pure EV the majority of the time, but act like a very good ICE when needed. But, alas, GM in its wisdom dumped Voltec, so it's either get something else like a Tesla, or buy the Bolt.

Anyway, when my lease was up on the 2017 Volt, I had decided that I was OK with a pure EV, as we have the luxury of having other cars if we need them and my wife had bought the Kia Niro PHEV. Got a great deal on a Black 2019 Premier and have love it so far. Here's what I like about it better than the Volt: Much roomier inside. Seating position much more friendly. Easy to get into and out of, unlike the Volt. Quicker, but not faster. 10 inch screen is awesome. Interior is kind of plus and minus. I kind of like the high tech look, but it is cheaper materials and a couple of people have commented on the economy car looks. The seats are fine for me-not sure why so many hate them, and I'm a pretty big guy.

What I don't like compared to the Volt: Much less planted on the freeway. The Volt was a dream on long trips. The Bolt, probably due to the short wheelbase, feels "twitchy". Definitely have to pay attention at all times because it's much quicker to drift. The styling is, well, "economy car plus". At best it looks like a fancy hatchback. At worst, an econobox. It's actually growing on me, but let's just say, that as I live in a pretty expensive neighborhood, it's definitely the cheapest looking car in the subdivision and it wouldn't be something that I would be super proud to pull up in at a swanky hotel or restaurant.

With all that said, am I happy with the Bolt versus the Volt? Yes, for my purposes I am. For a commuter vehicle, it's fantastic. Not the best freeway cruiser, but we tend to take the wife's PHEV or my truck for long trips anyway. It's not miserable on the freeway on long trips, but definitely not the best. Luckily, I've gotten over driving prestige vehicles, because this one sure doesn't impress too many people.

At the end of the day, given the price I was able to get, it was kind of a no-brainer. Yes, I could have paid $45K for model 3. Or gotten in line for a Kona or Niro EV, but in the Bay Area, they're getting near sticker for these and even with the extra tax credit would have been several thousand more. Plus, the Kona is really small, especially in the back seat. I am just really hoping that in the next 3-4 years, there are more choices when I go to buy a new vehicle. Most of the new EV's coming out (Audi, Volvo, etc.) seem to be emphasizing speed and power over efficiency at a good price point. I don't need a car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds. What a joke. Give me something that goes 280 miles or more on a charge, is big enough to be comfortable, and comes in below 40K.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The styling is, well, "economy car plus". At best it looks like a fancy hatchback. At worst, an econobox. It's actually growing on me, but let's just say, that as I live in a pretty expensive neighborhood, it's definitely the cheapest looking car in the subdivision and it wouldn't be something that I would be super proud to pull up in at a swanky hotel or restaurant.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm very much a function over form kind of guy, so what I'm going to say next may seem unkind - but I'm not aiming it at you specifically, I'm rather just kind of musing out loud...

I've heard of "first world problems", but for me this seems like a "1% of the first world" problem...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I first started with a prius then a 2014 brand new VOLT then went to a 2016 used VOLT Premier with 11,000 miles on it. Finally made the plunge to the 2020 BOLT. The Bolt definitely has more room in the front and back seat area but I'm still skeptical that the hatch area is bigger than the Volts. Even though the specs say it is, it just looks so much smaller to me. I like the fact that the BOLT sits up higher and has better ground clearance, my volt had the auto parallel parking feature, which I did use from time to time but not a big issue not having in the Bolt. The volts heater in the 2014 and 2016 wasn't the best. To early for me to say I love the Bolt yet. We'll see after a year or so if I get stranded out one time with no juice lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had two Volts before going all in with the Bolt EV. Both Volts were leases so when the 2017 was up I purchased a Bolt. The leases at the time for Bolts were not appealing. I agree with a lot of the comments. The Bolt is a joy to tool around town in. It does have more usable cargo space that the Volt and the rear view camera is just terrific when you load up the hatch. My 6 foot 4 inch son sits in the back seat with no problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts