Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since this question might get a lot of volt owner eyes - I love my bolt so much so that I’m thinking of a volt for a first car for my son. Anyone out there with a kid in a Volt? Everything I’ve read seems positive. And mileage battery degradation concerns seem minimal. Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A 2017 Volt was my first foray into EV of any kind, and for a long time I thought it was the perfect compromise. The 50-ish mile range was more than up to the task most days, and I could (and did) drive from NC to FL and back several times. I was deeply disappointed when GM decided to end the Volt. I saw the Bolt come out and I liked it generally but wasn't sold on BEV. Sadly, my beloved Kinetic Blue Volt was totaled in an accident in January of this year. Kudos to the Volt (and GM in general) for protecting the sole occupant (me) when t-boned by an SUV going 50+mph.

I picked up a 2020 Bolt (unsurprisingly in Kinetic Blue) a few weeks later, and am rapidly finding myself a convert. A few years ago, it seemed like traveling long distances in a BEV was a huge project akin to taking the Oregon Trail in a train of Conestoga wagons. Today, in 2020, if you live where 90% of people live, the story is pretty good. In my regular daily life, I charge the car about every 5 days or so. For a long trip, I plan on using a blend of apps (but mainly ABRP) to help me plan a route that lets me factor in my range anxiety so I'm not one of those folks cruising into the Electrify America station on 3% charge (props to those who can do this without getting an ulcer, but I'm not there yet).

I miss a little bit of the fun look of the Volt, but in every other way the Bolt is superior in my limited experience so far. Way better visibility, somewhat better speed/torque especially at higher speeds, and room to carry four actual full-sized adults when needed. I find the cargo space is plentiful, but shaped differently because the Bolt is about a foot shorter, but the cargo space is much taller.And I find the various driver assist technologies to be super familiar... I like that my muscle memory for managing cruise control, regen paddle, volume paddles, etc. are all perfectly set up for the Bolt.

I've gone to a DCFC station in my area to try it out to be sure I am comfortable with the nuances of the connector, authorization/initialization, etc. I'm pretty psyched about my first "road trip" to visit my kids who live about 150 miles away....

Big thumbs up on the entire experience of moving from Volt to Bolt (well, except for the bruised ribs).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since this question might get a lot of volt owner eyes - I love my bolt so much so that I’m thinking of a volt for a first car for my son.
I just leased a Bolt for my 16 year old son. IMHO, it's a great car for a teenager. He has only had it for a few days, so I can't give you much real-world experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did not know the Bolt was larger. I always thought it was smaller due to its appearance. Good to know as the Volt is fine for two people and luggage but as soon as my family grows, we will need more space. Though I would only intend on using the Bolt locally and occasionally regionally.
Bolt is small on the outside and one of the, if not the largest interiors. I’m 6’4” and if I put the seat all the way back, I can’t reach the pedals! That never happens. Our room test is my 6’7” son driving and me in the backseat behind him. Only the Bolt passed this test.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bolt is small on the outside and one of the, if not the largest interiors. I’m 6’4” and if I put the seat all the way back, I can’t reach the pedals! That never happens. Our room test is my 6’7” son driving and me in the backseat behind him. Only the Bolt passed this test.
My wife is very short (under 5' tall) and I installed pedal extenders so she can drive our Bolt. With the pedal extenders on, if I put the seat all the way back I can't reach the pedals! I am not as tall as you, but I suspect you could drive our Bolt with the pedal extenders in place without being uncomfortable. It has an amazing range of adjustment on the front seat due to having so much room in the back.

Keith

21 - 27 of 27 Posts