Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a way to change the volume (raise/lower) of the GPS when using Android Auto without changing the radio's volume?

I have tried using the volume buttons on the phone, with the phone's screen on and off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the key here, is you have to control the volume of each different mode of the car + Android auto system when it's happening or else the volume controls simply control the radio. it even appears to be the case that Android Auto has multiple volume aspects to it for example the navigation mode volume may be different from the Google Assistant voice's responses, and the media volume for example playing Pandora audio for playing a podcast, maybe yet another mode. frankly it's a real mess, and what needs to happen is Google Assistant needs to have responses for commands to change specific modes such as change Google Assistant volume to xx percent, change navigation volume to yy percent, and/or change media volume to zz percent. at the moment if you attempt such a command the Google Assistant will respond that there isn't any way to do that right now. but they really does need to be a way to do that, because it's really hit and miss to get the various volumes adjusted properly since you have to get the timing just right. and it's unclear what is a problem is at the side of the Chevy Bolt in terms of how they use the Android auto API, or is something intrinsic to Android Auto that needs to be enhanced.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Turn off the radio by pressing/holding the volume button, put a destination in Waze or Google Maps and adjust it's volume while it's giving you the turn-by-turn directions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turn off the radio by pressing/holding the volume button, put a destination in Waze or Google Maps and adjust it's volume while it's giving you the turn-by-turn directions.
Well, I'm looking for the system to be voice activated, rather than a kludge of manual and hands-free activities. I'm in the process of preparing from feedback to the Google's Android Auto team describing the enhancements that would make it more user friendly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Examining the volume control further, the Android Auto related sounds appear to have two categories: "audio" for the level of sounds originating from Android apps on connected phone. These are two distinct settings, and you can only adjust them with the Bolt's physical volume controls (knob on the dash or +/- buttons on the back of the steering wheel) while the sound you're hearing is from the particular one of those two sources that you want to adjust. It does appear that the volume levels of "audio" and "voice" persist when you next "boot up" your Bolt. I still need to do a bit more testing. Assuming this is the case, then the Google Assistant needs to learn how to accept voice commands for "hey google set voice volume to xx percent" and "hey google set audio volume to yy percent" -- and perhaps simply "hey google set volume to vv percent" for setting both types of sound to vv percent. Then there's the volume from the Bolt's built-in head unit's FM and XM radio (or from connected USB media), which I'm guessing is what you change when you select a radio station and then adjust that volume. Not sure what that one is "called" on the LCD screen's volume indicator that shows up as you adjust the volume. Comments/corrections appreciated!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Examining the volume control further, the Android Auto related sounds appear to have two categories: "audio" for the level of sounds originating from Android apps on connected phone. These are two distinct settings, and you can only adjust them with the Bolt's physical volume controls (knob on the dash or +/- buttons on the back of the steering wheel) while the sound you're hearing is from the particular one of those two sources that you want to adjust. It does appear that the volume levels of "audio" and "voice" persist when you next "boot up" your Bolt. I still need to do a bit more testing. Assuming this is the case, then the Google Assistant needs to learn how to accept voice commands for "hey google set voice volume to xx percent" and "hey google set audio volume to yy percent" -- and perhaps simply "hey google set volume to vv percent" for setting both types of sound to vv percent. Then there's the volume from the Bolt's built-in head unit's FM and XM radio (or from connected USB media), which I'm guessing is what you change when you select a radio station and then adjust that volume. Not sure what that one is "called" on the LCD screen's volume indicator that shows up as you adjust the volume. Comments/corrections appreciated!
There appears to be 3 different volumes within the Bolt:
Radio / USB / etc. which displays in blue on the display behind the steering wheel
Android auto / CarPlay (I assume, I only use Android) which appears light grey on the display
Phone which appears as orange on the display

I don't believe you see AA changing volumes of the radio or phone, mainly because I do not believe there is access to Android Auto to change these. I'm not a software / hardware guy by any means... but I haven't seen any vehicle model that does this, nor any write up about AA's ability to control other functions in the car (otherwise we would have voice enabled AC, Heat, etc. as well).

What I think GM could do is provide in the radio controls section a minimum volume for each of these 3, or at least an easy method to change them (perhaps you turn the volume knob, then press the power to cycle between the 3 options which would display on the dash / center console) individually. I've found that the minimum volume at startup sets the value for all three, which would work if they all output at the same level. I have to increase my volume on AA vs. radio to get the same apparent volume... meaning I'm adjusting each time I cycle between audio choices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've researched this further, and have established that there are indeed three different types of sound that are presented through the Bolt's head-unit in conjunction with Android Auto "projection" to the Bolt's screen, and they each have their own volume setting. They are:

1) "Audio" -- this category of audio includes both the Bolt's built-in FM/AM/XM radio and USB media playing functions, plus sound from Android apps such as Google Podcasts, Stitcher, BeyondPod, Pandora, Google Play Music, Tune-in, etc. When you are listening to apps in this category, if you adjust the sound level with either of the Bolt's physical volume controls (knob on dash, or buttons on the back of the steering wheel), you will see a blue-themed horizontal line showing "Audio" volume, along with a numerical value (e.g. 15), also in blue. The setting you make while listening to this category of sound will apply to both the Android Auto apps (as mentioned), and the Bolt's built-in radio/etc.

2) "Voice" -- this category of audio applies to the interactions with Android Auto's built-in Google Assistant, as well as to Android Auto's Google Navigation function. And it has its own volume setting. When you adjust the volume during this mode of sound (e.g. when Google Assistant or Google Navigation is talking to you), you'll see a gray-themed horizontal line, labeled "Voice," and with a number at the left indicating its current setting. As with the Audio category, you can only adjust the Voice mode's volume while it is actively making sounds. So, for example, you can initialize it by asking google a question (e.g. Hey google, what's today's weather forecast?) and while google answers, you can adjust Voice mode audio level.

3) "Phone" -- as you might guess, this category applies to phone call interactions, once a phone calling process has been initiated. When you adjust the sound in this mode, you'll see a yellow-themed horizontal line labeled "Phone" and with a number at the left showing the volume's intensity, as with the other two modes.

Now as mentioned above, unfortunately Google has not provided support for altering the sound intensity for any of these modes within Android Auto's Google Assistant functionality. So, the only way to adjust the volume for each of these is by invoking them and then using either of the Bolt's physical volume controls (knob or steering wheel buttons).

For those who are accustomed to using gadgets like the Google Home Mini or Amazon Echo devices, the idea of having to launch a particular mode and manually change volume -- while driving -- probably seems ludicrous. It's a needless distraction, and confusing besides. What Google needs to do, is add modal volume setting commands to Android Auto's Google Assistant Functionality, to supplement the basic electronic volume-level setting that's done via the Bolt's head-unit hardware (knobs, steering wheel buttons, and audio electronics).

I'd suggest implementing the following three volume mode commands in Google Assistant for Android Auto, assuming it actually makes sense to keep them independent:

--> Hey Google, set Audio volume to xx percent

--> Hey Google, set Voice volume to yy percent

--> Hey Google, set Phone volume to zz percent

And if it's practical, allow the setting of all modes at once, e.g.:

* Hey Google, set all volumes to xx percent

The photos below show the various sound modes with Android Auto running on the 2019 Chevy Bolt (using the latest Bolt firmware and latest Android Auto app, on a Pixel phone running Android 9 Pie).

Below: adjusting "Audio" mode sound level with Android app playing a podcast

Below: adjusting "Audio" mode sound level while listing to a radio station via the Bolt's radio

Below: adjusting "Voice" mode sound level while Android Auto is giving navigation instructions

Below: adjusting "Phone" mode sound during a phone call...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Is there a way to change the volume (raise/lower) of the GPS when using Android Auto without changing the radio's volume?
If you're using Google Maps then there's an option in its Settings menu (which you can access from your standalone phone when it's not connected to the car) to choose low, medium or high volume for spoken directions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts