Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once VW ushers the ID 3 1st Edition into the world, the regular production model will offer a 45-kWh battery that provides an estimated 205 miles of range and an even larger 77-kWh battery with an estimated 342 miles of range on tap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Unfortunately, WLTP estimates are not accurate. I expect real world range will probably be under 300 miles. It's still excellent range and a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, if we assume a 4.0 mi/kWh average (similar to the Bolt and others) the range should be around 300 miles. Still a good number but I heard the max charge rate is 100kW....IMO too slow for future needs, especially considering EA is installing 150 and 350kW chargers.
I'm not impressed with the interior dash layout. The screens look like an afterthought and the gear selector is on the odometer, similar to the i3. And those 20 inch tires...why so large? Large tires are expensive to replace and tend to give a firmer (read rougher) ride.
And while I'm at it, EA needs to do a MUCH better job with their network. One thing that makes Tesla such a big hit is their charging network. People don't have to worry about a reliable, fast charging network.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
342/1.12 = 305 miles EPA for the 74 kWh version, when it arrives. For now, they are making the 58 kWh version, presumable, in part, because of constrained battery supply. That version is 260 mile WTLP. 260/1.12 = 232 miles EPA.

There will be "affordable" EVs with better range than the Bolt someday. But not until we get better batteries.

Musk/Dahn claim they will have a battery, with essentially limitless life soon.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

This doesn't address range directly, but if you can V3 Supercharge a 200 mile range battery for 20 years, with no range loss, I can live with that. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
342/1.12 = 305 miles EPA for the 74 kWh version, when it arrives. For now, they are making the 58 kWh version, presumable, in part, because of constrained battery supply. That version is 260 mile WTLP. 260/1.12 = 232 miles EPA.

This calculation appears reasonable given that the 58kWh version's range would come close to that of Bolt's. 300 miles with 100kW charging support seems like a reasonable "next step" for the EVs the size of Bolt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is an excellent offering, and beats the Bolt on both range and charging speed. We will see about price and availability. Of course, the availability will be zero in the US, so we will have to wait for the ID.4. Seeing as it is a larger offering (maybe closer to the Niro?), it will get less range from the same batteries. Still, it is high on my list of potential next EVs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, it will charge at 100kW (if you can find a charger that delivers 100kW) but when does the taper start? That will determine total charge time.
Thanks to EA, it's easy to find a charger that delivers 100kW. They just upgraded the cables on all chargers in upstate NY, so they are back up to full power.

Taper is a great question. Where does the Model 3 taper begin? I want to say it's around 40% or so with the new V3, but I don't recall. Pretty certain it's less than 50%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
vex
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing