Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
I am slowly, but surely getting tired of all these big conglomerates pounding their chests and clamoring about the grand, multi-billion future projects.

In this particular case: A fast charger is not a cold fusion reactor or an interplanetary spaceship. It's a couple of power electronic boxes, an RFID card reader and a plug. Or, why not start by adding L2 stations to every parking lot - at shopping malls, offices, commuter rails/bus stations etc.

·
Registered
558 Posts
. . . Or, why not start by adding L2 stations to every parking lot - at shopping malls, offices, commuter rails/bus stations etc.
The more L2 charging stall there are, the more available parking there will be for ICE cars to squat in. I wish I had a tablet of papers pre-printed which said 'Thanks a lot for blocking this charging stall!' to leave on their windshields.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The more L2 charging stall there are, the more available parking there will be for ICE cars to squat in. I wish I had a tablet of papers pre-printed which said 'Thanks a lot for blocking this charging stall!' to leave on their windshields.
Well maybe we need more states to enact laws to allow ICE vehicles to be cited if they park in a designated EV charging spot.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well maybe we need more states to enact laws to allow ICE vehicles to be cited if they park in a designated EV charging spot.
Park at a gas station, blocking one of the pumps, and see how long it takes to get arrested. Not long, I am sure. We all need to push hard to have ICE vehicles towed from well-designated EV charging spaces!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Meh. I for one have no use for L2's unless they are at my home, work (maybe) or at a hotel I am staying at. I'm gonna charge for 20 minutes at a box store and pick up 2 kWh? A LEAF maybe, a Bolt, nope.

Give me lots and lots of nice L3's on or very near highways and with nice amenities nearby!

And those are harder to install....they need more juice.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Meh. I for one have no use for L2's unless they are at my home, work (maybe) or at a hotel I am staying at. I'm gonna charge for 20 minutes at a box store and pick up 2 kWh? A LEAF maybe, a Bolt, nope.
Eh, I've been going for 3 weeks now just opportunity charging at public L2 chargers.

There's a pair of chargers at the library near where I work that's a block from the three places I eat 80% of my lunches at. Get ~30 miles of charge in one hour which is 10 miles more than my daily round trip commute.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I hate Walmart parking lots, well Walmart in general, and if the parking for the EV's is close to the store inconsiderate people will park there to save themselves for walking an additional 10 feet. There is one Walmart in Delano, CA that has the EV charging in the back of the lot which is great! However, one of the two EVGO chargers has been down for months.

I can't believe a gas station hasn't jumped on EV charging. If Chevron put one fast charger at everyone of their gas stations we would have a nationwide network and drive anywhere we wanted to.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If Chevron put one fast charger at everyone of their gas stations we would have a nationwide network and drive anywhere we wanted to.
Assuming that you're talking about a 50kW or larger L3 Charger because the ~25kW chargers aren't really going to be feasible for long distance drives. That means any business that wants to install one needs to have 480v power (and enough extra capacity). These can cost $50K or more to install for a piece of equipment that will likely sit unused >99% of the time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Maybe Exxon, or Shell, as part of a massive legal action for knowingly spreading misinformation about climate change, for decades?
Of course, the idea that corporations pay for something is a myth, as is anthropogenic global warming. Corporations just pass the costs of doing business onto their customers.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Of course, the idea that corporations pay for something is a myth, as is anthropogenic global warming. Corporations just pass the costs of doing business onto their customers.
97% of scientists who actually have credentials in the field would disagree with you.

I'll stick with the science.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Of course corporations never pay for anything. But you won't get people to pay for EV's and solar on their own. Get the corporations to pay for them, and they can bill us later. :)

As for your views on anthropogenic climate change; You can believe anything you like. The beauty of science is, it is real whether you believe in it or not. Someday you descendants will look back at you, and your beliefs, in horrified amazement.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Of course corporations never pay for anything. But you won't get people to pay for EV's and solar on their own. Get the corporations to pay for them, and they can bill us later. :)

As for your views on anthropogenic climate change; You can believe anything you like. The beauty of science is, it is real whether you believe in it or not. Someday you descendants will look back at you, and your beliefs, in horrified amazement.
I have a button that reads:

"Science doesn't give a f*** what you believe"

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
97% of scientists who actually have credentials in the field would disagree with you.
He's perfectly right when he says that the corporations just pass the costs back on to their customers.

In terms of fines and penalties for environmental harm, the cost of those penalties is funded through price increases borne by us, the consumers.

In terms of the environmental harm itself, we all bear those "costs" through their impact on our health, the cost of recovering from extreme weather events, loss of property value due to encroaching water levels, etc.

But I'm on your side in terms of the science...

·
Registered
558 Posts
When it comes to anthropogenic global warming, the 'science' is based on belief, superstition and greed. Climatologists, when they aren't fudging and adjusting their 'scientific' numbers, are no better at describing physical reality than the doctors of the soft sciences are to describing the human condition.

Of course, those crying about the impending catastrophe du jour always want the government to 'Do something! Anything! Quick! Now or else we are all doomed!' without any real scientific or careful rational thought into it, as real science and rational thought are no guarantees of an outcome they would want. Doing nothing about the supposed immediate catastrophe will not generate any grant money for anyone. What horrified amazement future generations will have to think that we wasted so much of our resources on a superstition.

Anthropogenic global hubris is a real phenomenon.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Climatologists, when they aren't fudging and adjusting their 'scientific' numbers, are no better at describing physical reality than the doctors of the soft sciences are to describing the human condition.
...and yet, most people would trust a medical doctor's diagnosis. Yep, occasionally they screw up like anyone else - but they're mostly right, at least in terms of understanding what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Of course, those crying about the impending catastrophe du jour always want the government to 'Do something! Anything! Quick! Now or else we are all doomed!' without any real scientific or careful rational thought into it, as real science and rational thought are no guarantees of an outcome they would want. Doing nothing about the supposed immediate catastrophe will not generate any grant money for anyone. What horrified amazement future generations will have to think that we wasted so much of our resources on a superstition.
I'm curious what you think real science is? I thought it consisted of collecting data, developing hypothesis, and testing the hypothesis. Are you saying the climate scientists aren't doing that? Do you think they are making up data? Cheating on the tests? Or is it just that their results don't agree with your results? Or maybe their results don't agree with your preconceived beliefs?

Perhaps you believe the climate scientists have more money to spend on cheating at science than the entrenched fossil fuel companies have to spend on public relations. That concepts is a real hoot.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You can generally sift through the bias of a position by following the money. I don't understand what is to be gained by an independent lab to conclude that ACC does happen whereas it's not much of stretch to understand the opposing view, especially when the funding originates from corporations that stand to gain by it's denial.
One of the strengths of science besides determining what's true is that it is self policing. There are entire teams attempting to overturn evolution by natural selection. Believe me, if it weren't true, creationists would be pounding their chest while accepting the Nobel Prize.
Here's an old video that gives a good natured explanation of how blind the scientific method is when used to determine the truth.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...96894820F2C1FC8D636596894820F2C1FC8&FORM=VIRE
Scientists are just egotistical as anyone else but the scientific method is what keeps them honest.
You're entitled to your own opinions but not to your own facts.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts